Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 00:59   #1

Boat: none
Yanmar fuel filters

Anyone know of an alternative supplier of yanmar fuel filters for a 4jh3 engine? Have looked at all the large filter manufacturers for cross refrencing but they dont seem to have a generic filter.
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:05   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Re: Yanmar fuel filters

Tried to find for my 4jh4e with no luck.
Looks like yanmar supplied are required

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:46   #3

Boat: none

Its a bloody scam i tell ya, just got a price for them at the local yanmar agent in Phuket , $100 au each !!!!!!!!!
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18   #4

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
Anyone know of an alternative supplier of yanmar fuel filters for a 4jh3 engine? Have looked at all the large filter manufacturers for cross refrencing but they dont seem to have a generic filter.

We have been using Napa Oil filters since we installed the new Yanmar. The Yanmar dealer mistakenly gave me a couple spare yanmar filters for a larger engine. They were for the 50hp. Fit perfectly but were just larger. Just saying as you might get a perfect fit using a slightly larger filter. But I tried to xref Napa on the web with no joy. Had to resort to finally going into the store and had the person behind the counter xref it for me.

Good luck

Chuck

Old 09-02-2015, 06:11   #5

Boat: 44 footer

My 3Jh2e uses a car quest 85064 oil filter, and a car quest 86390 fuel filter.

Should fit any JH engine series.

Cheers,

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:31   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorcat View Post
Put the actual filter number in a Google web search and see what pops up. You may find a substitute.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:39   #7

Boat: Ontario32

Although you got replies about "oil filters" may I suggest trying Donaldson,s web site you might find a clone there.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:45   #8

Boat: Island Packet 35

I've been orderingYanmar parts (3ym30) lately from this company, just rebuilt my raw water pumpand they had best price for parts. Not sure of fuel and oil filter pricing as Ihave been able to purchase locally at the marina and was around $20 fuel andthe oil $12 Canadian, quite reasonable. Would think it be around the same pricethrough these guys plus shipping, they most likely can supply what you require,can't see it being near $100 even with taxes and shipping, outrages!!!

Patt Diesel Ltd.
Ottawa Ontario
613-839-5615

nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:17   #9

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

I use a Car Quest 86390 fuel filter on my 4JH2E . The Car Quest is a 2 micron filter and I pre-filter with a Racor. I have cross referenced the carquest to Baldwin BF940, Wix 33390, Napa 3390, Purolator F 50262 but have not actually confirmed that they are same.
edit: Yanmar filter is listed as part# 129470-55702
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:43   #10

Geoff's post had #s that sounded familiar.

Here's our (Catalina 34) list of equivalents: Kubota (Universal M25 & M25XP engines) But the engine doesn't matter, it's the filter equivalents.

Purolator PER-262-F
NAPA 3390
Fram P-3726
fleetguard # ff5226
Car Quest- 86390
Wix –33390
Universal 298854
Kubota 7000-4308(1)

You might be able to find a Kubota where you are.

So many boating forums have developed filter equivalents that I'm surprised you can't find them on the internet.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:58   #11

I cannot speak to all Yanmar models, but for some there is a lot more going on then just a basic filters, I've seen some oil filters that do some pressure regulation and has a check valve. Just look carefully, also seen some after market wobble a lot when spinning them on like the thread was not exactly right.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26   #12

One strategy is to use 2 micron in your Racor and your Yanmar secondary filter won't need to be changed for years. A few drawbacks:

Yanmar says this can void your warranty because it puts load on the fuel pump. But the typical Racor 500 is rated for 60GPH. A small sailboat engine isn't drawing 1/20th of that. I have a pressure gauge on the Racor with a maximum pressure indicator. I don't see any pressure difference on the gauge between a 2 and a 30 micron filter. If your engine is out of warranty, you don't really care.

While the gauge on the Racor tells me when to change the fuel filter, the Yanmar secondary has no gauge except maybe a water alarm. Your first warning of a clogged secondary filter is when the engine loses power. Try changing this filter in a bad sea! I consider this is a safety issue.

Your 2 micron Racor filter will clog more quickly than a 30 but I can go through a lot of Racors for the cost of one Yanmar secondary and the Racor is way easier to change. I only have filter problems in the rare case when I've taken on bad fuel as I religiously use a biocide like Biobar Jr to keep the tank from growing junk. Normally, I change the Racor filter at every oil change with the gauge still showing no significant pressure.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:44   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I useda 2 micron Racor filter for years till recently when some Yanmar dude went ballistic. But I am going to chage back to 2 micron, as Carl says, saves the Yanmar filter.

Re oil filters... In Asia a car dealer found a Mazda oil filter fitted my 4JH3E
I dont remember fule filters.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 21:41   #14

I alway by yanmar replacements, sometimes they are black sometimes they are white sometimes they are big and sometimes they are small. Same part# all from the yanmar distributor. Very strange.......

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19   #15

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have been using Napa Oil filters since we installed the new Yanmar. The Yanmar dealer mistakenly gave me a couple spare yanmar filters for a larger engine. They were for the 50hp. Fit perfectly but were just larger. Just saying as you might get a perfect fit using a slightly larger filter. But I tried to xref Napa on the web with no joy. Had to resort to finally going into the store and had the person behind the counter xref it for me.

Good luck

Chuck

Fuel filters not oil filters!!! Bang head here X.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, yanmar