Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 23:31   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Yacht on the Rocks

We had a ripper of a short storm in Moreton Bay yesterday, I had returned to the dock early to meet a client and I only saw 38 knots on the gauges, but those still out sailing (mainly the WAGS fleet) say that up to 70 knot gust was seen. But thats only heresay.

I heard that Black Jack two was unable to resist the wind and got blown onto the earth near the harbour breakwall, good thing it was low tide as the rocks on the breakwall were bigger. I am waiting to get confirmation that it was BJ2 - one of the local gun boats. Apparently they had there keel centreboard up to get shallow enough draft to get into the harbour at low tide, and didnt have enough lateral resistance.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:44   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Yacht on the rocks

Most cats that have center boards or dagger boards slide sideways with the boards are up in strong breezes We always go in and out of the marina with our boards down, it keeps us glued to the water and tracking great. Keep us informed on how the Gun boat fairs on the rocks.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

To be clear its the "gun" boat (as in the fastest most revered etc and its half a boat) not the GUNBOAT as in the fine multihull product.

Below is a photo of said vessel. Photo was taken about an hour or so before the big storm when Ocean Emu (Tri) blasted past the subject boat doing 16.5 knots. And sorry about the vernacular use of term - Gun Boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0052.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	37138  
Old 09-02-2012, 03:05   #4

Ok I got it a monohull named gunboat
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35   #5

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

This is the recently launched Reichel Pugh 42 built by Stallion Marine which carries the same name as the owners larger vessel which is a Reichel Pugh 66.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
Ok I got it a monohull named gunboat
Nope sorry - I am really confusing the issue - forget about gunboat, instead read " highly regarded boat"

Again sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbullwinkle View Post
This is the recently launched Reichel Pugh 42 built by Stallion Marine which carries the same name as the owners larger vessel which is a Reichel Pugh 66.
Almost - the big boat is Black Jack, the little one is Black Jack Too. Both nice boats
Old 09-02-2012, 04:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Almost - the big boat is Black Jack, the little one is Black Jack Too. Both nice boats
Yes thats right, my mistake. I believe the 42 has a lift keel - wonder if this had anything to do with the incident?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:14   #8
Marine Service Provider

From what little I have heard it probably contributed a little but also the tide conspired against it. Then again it was low tide so apparently I understand it didn't come to rest on the breakwater. But because the tide was low the board was up, so the tide both helped and hindered, Looking forward to the Big Black Jack going head to head with the big tris this year in the Gladstone.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:30   #9

Hopefully any damage was only minor. Which tris are in the Gladstone race so far?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:14   #10
Marine Service Provider

Rumour has it - and only rumour to me at this stage - that KAS is coming and maybe TVS but maybe not. And I meant to comment earlier that BJ2 is yet another beautifully built boat by the guys at Stallion marine.
Old 09-02-2012, 16:18   #11
Marine Service Provider

News footage News Footage
Old 10-02-2012, 08:21   #12

Re: Yacht on the Rocks

Thanks for the news footage, too bad about the little monohull sailboat.
Old 13-02-2012, 13:36   #13

Our Bavaria was also heading into the Manly marinas when the gust struck. I estimate that the gust reached 60 -70 kts, sustained for 30-60 seconds, coming in from the west. There were at least 10 boats in the confined channel after the WAGS race, including Black Jack Two. All the yachts were motoring slowly due to the low visibility from driving rain, and the fact that yachts at the head of the queue were manoeuvring into their berths. The gust came in at roughly 90 deg from the 30kt wind associated with the storm. All yachts in the channel lost control due to the suddenness of the gust, and absolute mayhem resulted. Our boat was driven into two concrete mooring piles, sustaining major damage to the deck forward of the port side shrouds. Another boat spun past us hitting a number of moored boats. I looked back to see Black Jack up on the sand near the north side break wall. A group of boys in sailing dingys fished themselves out of the water, boats damaged, mast snapped on at least one.

A number of boats were damaged in the marina that day, approx 50 I understand. One of our neighbours Pepper Two was ripped out of the berth and hang by a single stern line. RIBs were seen in rigging etc. It was lucky that no-one was hurt (to my knowledge at least).

Richard
Richard Woolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 14:33   #14
Marine Service Provider

Sorry to hear that Richard, - We had no significant damage at WMYC, couple of ripped biminis and the like. One of the reasons I like WMYC - its a little better protected, usually. (Probably famous last words).
Old 13-02-2012, 14:53   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

We were once caught in a 60 knot squall when anchored off Monos Island in Trinidad. It lasted for 20 minutes or so and the whole bay, where nobody lives, just jungle, was littered with clothes, huge plastic cisterns, outboard gas tanks, awnings etc. etc. After all the dinghies gathered everything and we all took our stuff from the pile, we were still missing much but the pile was almost as big as before we all took our stuff off it. It was al carried for miles through the air from mainland Trinidad!

Events like these you always get damaged or loose items that get blown away, but mostly both. It is the sudden change in direction as much as the force of it.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht