Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 21:31   #1

Boat: next
WOW, the dream may happen!!!

Well, a funny thing has happened!!! Just passed the initial interview for a position in of all places.................. The BAHAMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haven't been there yet, but from what I hear... it's some of the best cruising grounds near the US...........

The position still has some details to overcome... but if it happens I'll be buying another boat with the housing allowance and selling the "other" boats... (hope they didn't hear that)!

So, are there any cruising guides on the Bahamas????
From what I hear it's a shallow draft area???
Any and all input appreciated...

Thanks in advance and happy cruising!!!!
airacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:59   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The Bahamas are awesome. Hundreds of islands and thousands of square miles of cruising.

They have charts on CD that you can run on your laptop and hook up to a GPS. With a good set of eyes, some electronic charts, and good luck, you will have an awesome adventure.

One piece of advice. Get a good anchor and use an all chain rode. Dive on your anchor to make sure it is set. Too many anchorages have hard pan on their bottom, and the anchor doesn't penetrate the surface at all. Frequently, close to the passes, the sand is scoured off the bottom by the current. We were happy with out Beugel Anchor, but others do the job as well.

Good luck and I hope your job comes through.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57   #3

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
We were happy with out Beugel Anchor,.....
What you mean, Dave?
You were happy WITHOUT Buegel anchor or "we were happy with OUR Buegel anchor?"
I assume you were happy with your Buegel Anchor. We have one since years using it in the Bahamas. And we are happy with it.
Not to confuse everybody it is not Beugel, but BUEGEL anchor.

Fair winds

Ralph
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:55   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
HUMPH,

If only I could be so lucky.......LOLOLOL. Best wishes in your new position, and exploring the Bahamas. The best charts are the Explorer Charts on CD, and paper.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00   #5

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for correcting the typo. You got it right. We were extremely happy with our Buegel/Beugel anchor.

The only thing I don't like about my Beugel/Buegel anchor is the spelling. I just created a web page on the Beugel/Buegel anchor on my website. I uploaded the web page, and my wife came in to view it. She said I mis-spelled the the word Beugel/Buegel. I had already put the word Buegel/Buegel on the graphics for the web page, and so I went back and corrected the graphics according to her recommendations. But before I did that, I went to google and checked the spelling. Most of the references on google spelled it Beugel rather than Buegel. I don't speak German, and so I don't know how it is really spelled in German.

I think the Beugel/Buegel is awesome, but there are some hard pan sand scoured bottoms in the Bahamas where even the Beugel/Buegel cannot penetrate.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44   #6

Boat: MANTA 42, before Morgan 41 Classic, GibSea 106
Hi, Dave,

we are a little off topic but this is a forum and not the New York Times.
As German is sometimes a little hard (even for Germans) I understand the problem.
Originally Buegel is Written "Bügel". When there is no "ü" available at any kind of print, it will be used as "ue".
I bought my Bügel from the original "inventer" (nice old chap, living on his boat in Turkey).

Regards from Berlin (Hurricane winds in Germany now up to 80 kts!)
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 20:30   #7

Air...that's great. What PART of the Bahamas? Dodge Cruising Guide to Abacos is the best for that area. Probably Pavlidas Guide is best for the rest and the Explorer chartbooks are also chock full of info and will clud you into the depths you'll be dealing with. In general, I would say try to stay at 6' or less...but 5' is even better. Catamarans make some sense there even to this old monohull guy but if you will be living at a slip rather than a mooring the availability of Cat slips might be an issue.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 20:54   #8

thanks all...........

At this point I'm looking at a min. of four to six months before I transition (assuming I get it)!!! I guess I'm kinga torn between mono and multi.... although the shallow draft of a multi is something to be said for... I've cruised both on charters but living on a multi does have it's perks!!! {SPACE} and from what I am hearing, shallow water!!! Is there a large tide swing out that way???
If this thing happens, I'm thinking (at this point) something like an Endevour or Gemenai (had some RUM, so I cant spell now!!!)

Thanks all for your support and input............................................. ....
.................................................. ................................................
Old 13-03-2008, 04:33   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by airacer View Post
[SNIP} ...(had some RUM, so I cant spell now!!!)

Good idea!

To get some practice in before moving to the Bahamas! Rum drinking is an important skill that needs to be finely honed! :cubalibre
Old 13-03-2008, 06:12   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
As you'll be working you'll probably be keeping your boat in a marina. Check out marina costs and availability in the area you'll be working before buying a boat, especially if you're thinking of a cat. The customs rules were changed a few years ago and it's now not too expensive to keep a US flagged vessel in the Bahamas more than a year. I think it's under $1000 a year but the max is three or five years. Check into this too. Draft is not a great problem although many think it is. I'm 5 1/2' and never have problems. Most of the boats I sail with are deeper. Having said that, over seven feet is not too desirable. The Bahamas is a great place to cruise and even work for a little while. Most of the expats I know here just have to get off whichever island they're on every few months. It's a very small community and everybody knows everbody's business. Like living in a very small village.
Old 13-03-2008, 06:39   #11

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
I see by your profile that you are in aircraft maintenance. So what part of the Bahamas would you be going to for work?
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 18:17   #12

Cam... There are several positions, the one I want and am most qualified for, is in Nassau. I've looked up several marinas in "marinas.com" but haven't found one that has a web site, so I can check availability and costs. I wouldn't think slip fees would be over $15 a foot.... would they?????
Vas... This is something I'm working on... I also may have tax free status (expat)... still alot of unknowns...
I'm kind of a loner, as long as I have my projects (boat maintenance) and woman!!! So, I don't see the isolation issue being much of an issue... besides there's always fishing!!!
Mobetah... Been in aviation all my life!!! Pilot, mech, IA, diver, sailor etc., etc... At present we hold the World Speed Record in our class at Reno National Airraces. I'm the crew chief and my father is the owner / pilot!!! I'll get there someday (race pilot)!!!

Another question??? Does anybody know anything about Endevour 30 cats??? If there anything like the mono's... I want one!!!

Cheers all and thanks...
Old 14-03-2008, 03:20   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cut & Paste the various Marinas’ names (1 at a time, from the lists below) into Google.

Marinas in Nassau, Bahamas:
marinas
Marinas in Nassau, Bahamas

Bahamas Marinas Guide:
Bahamas Marinas - Bahamas-Travel.info marine services and marinas vacation guide

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 04:27   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Air, In Nassau try Nassau Harbour Club Marina, ask for the dockmaster Peter.1 242 393 0771. The Endeavor 30 cat is a narrow beamed clunky looking catamaran similar to the Maine cat. That's all I know about them.

Paradise Harbour Club Marina:
The Paradise Harbour Club - Bahamas Paradise Island
&
The Paradise Harbour Club - Bahamas Paradise Island