Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:18   #91

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Boracay, thanks for the experience report. My time is mine for the moment meaning I can dedicate whole working days to the boat . Reason why I asked for a timeline is because the one thing I would hate to do is leave her on the hard much longer ,pay for that storage and pay for storing myself somewhere . So initially if I cannot get her floatable I will do what is necessary to shorten that time period . Key will be making her sailable ,not necessarily comfy or Bora Bora ready, but able to get out of way of weather.

Gonna have a look at your blog now.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37   #92

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
I would suggest you make a move one way or the other. This thread is like blood in the water for other people on the hunt for a cheap cruiser!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:19   #93

I thought about that too Alchemy, but sat down this morning, analysed all the fotos, enhanced them and then did some calcs on what it would need ,what would make me feel comfy and it is quite a bit , even not being the fussy type. The WD 40 alone will cost a fortune . The devil is in the details.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 02-02-2011, 14:39   #94

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
I didn't read the whole thread. Did you get a survey Adax? There is a guy in Mazatlan that will probably go up and survey it for you. He lives on a steel boat, he's probably certified somewhere, I had him make me some parts for my boat. I you want his contact info, call Marina Mazatlan and ask them for Rick's phone number or leave a message at the office. It's been 4 years since I've been there but I'll bet he is still there doing his thing. i can maybe try to look him up for you if you want.

I'm self insured cruising in an old Catalina 38, we got knocked over by a tsunami in Pago Pago and I'm still probably up on the insurance cost.
We let her sit for 20 months while we took care of my wife's parents and I'd say I had more damage from that than the tsunami.

Pete O, where did you get your liability only insurance? I'd like to get some of that just to have.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 15:02   #95

Hiya Rod,thanks for the info .No survey as of yet . I will get in touch with that surveyor and see what he says.
Old 02-02-2011, 15:21   #96

Boat: Mason 43 cutter
Hey Adax, Ray and Jennette of Mazmarine, the broker, they know Rick. They could put you in touch with him.

Also, once you learn the Sea of Cortez, you'll be ready to go cruising. That body of water can dish it all out. Great place to sail.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 18:36   #97

Boat: a sailing boat
Yep. It can be a 2 year project and it can be a lifetime project too ;-)

I believe, there are those of us who like projects and those who like to sail. And an in-between happens now and then. It is not such a bad thing to spend weeks in a place getting boat into a seansible shape, if one can afford it.

What I find often - talking to 'eternal project' people - is that many of them do not know the essential from the nice-to-have, and in effect they will spend ages doing the less important jobs first. Then they cannot depart and some get disillusioned.

I say go for a project but get the thing up and going first, then do some small cruising while continuing with the less crucial repairs. In any case - if your plan is to SAIL then, unless you have the experience already, start with a crash course in project management, THEN go for your project. It helps heaps!

But I am aware there are many other takes and to each their own.

As far as those flapper disks go - I also use the 3M epoxy/sponge disks. They wear off nicely and allow for working fast but without the hard edges given by grinding stone / cutting disk, etc. Expensive stuff (here) though - 20 USD per disk.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 18:57   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I have not read all the responses so excuse me if I repeat. Wife and I own two steel boats (hers is bigger!) both about mid-80's vintage.

For that money I would take a very hard look. I would not worry too much about a surveyor, you will never know how bad he was until it was too late. If you can risk the money then it is OK. If not then you need to convince yourself that the boat is OK. That is not a small task.

I spent two days going over our 2nd boat before purchase and then, after closing found some bad rust. Not the end of the world but it pointed out to me how hard it can be to find.

No surveyor will spend the time necessary to really dope out a hull. Ultra sound can miss a problem because it is only taking samples. I say take at least three full days with a good flash light, better screw driver, and handy hammer. Go at it. Get everywhere.

Good luck.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:00   #99

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I would suggest you make a move one way or the other. This thread is like blood in the water for other people on the hunt for a cheap cruiser!
... all it needs is some wheels, this thing hasn't floated in years. That blood in the water is likely to be the next owners', along with sweat and tears.

Sorry, Adax, just can't visualize a queue of excited buyers here.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:21   #100

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Maybe, but this thread has advertised more than the patter of most brokers. Anyway, what's Spanish for "que sera, sera"?
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:26   #101

Boat: Aries 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
You're a broker, aren't you?

6 months of dirt and grime on the deck, not a footprint in it, companionway lock takes 20 minutes and a hammer to open - "yep, 3 people been out this morning to look at her - one guy said he had to run home and get his checkbook, but if you want to make an offer RIGHT NOW...."
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:31   #102
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
You're a broker, aren't you?

6 months of dirt and grime on the deck, not a footprint in it, companionway lock takes 20 minutes and a hammer to open - "yep, 3 people been out this morning to look at her - one guy said he had to run home and get his checkbook, but if you want to make an offer RIGHT NOW...."
LOL...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:43   #103

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
Boatman, just saw your reply -thanks . I am glad to get confirmation the way you gave it . I used the car analogy once and got shot down that with you show your inexperience that it could not be compared ( well no. I doubt I will find a brakepedal, but I was not comparing like for like, but concepts) And thanks for putting a name to the thingymajig - swages . Did not know the English word for that .My boat vocabulary is one third Spanish, 2 thirds English at the moment.

And the point about steel trumps plastic is well taken. While looking for solutions for the heat I came across a hurricane story about a steel boat that had 3 plastic ones thrown at it,all dented but did not take on water.

Pete ,good point. I know the Solent and believe it or not soemtimes I miss British weather .But yes, very hot in summer . I was worried about being a sitting duck for the heat, but as Boatman pointed out it is open plan so can be ventilated more easily. If the learning curve in terms of sailing is not all that steep as in that I could get going fairly quickly , the movement plus the openplan should be able to cool things off, but it would be a matter of assessing the deck insulation, what it really does in terms of heat insulation and what one could do to insulate further without making the boat sweat .
One thing. ifyou are going to paint the inside use either bathroom paint or emulsion or you will be running with condensation
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:49   #104

Patience. I am talking to the broker at the moment and have asked him to procure some extra info .Whether I am even going to see the boat will depend on the info I receive .
You pretty much assessed the stae of the boat well , but it had some additional surprises in other areas ,which is why I am cooling my interest for the moment until I get more info
Old 04-02-2011, 10:05   #105

Feelsgood,thanks for that info. Will be useful if it is this boat or another steelie.