Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Would you change your boat's name?
No way, no how 7 11.86%
Yes, with proper ceremony 25 42.37%
Yes, no worries mate 24 40.68%
If the wife told me to! 3 5.08%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 07:05   #1

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Would you change your boat's name?

I have read on this forum and others of people changing their boat's name. After looking on the CG website at registered boat names I was shocked to see how many boats have changed their name multiple times. When I was much younger my grandfather bought a used boat in Kodiak, Alaska. He really disliked the name of the boat but refused to change it for fear of tempting fate. I would like to get input from the forum to see how they feel.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26   #2

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Would I? Yes. Have I? Yes. Did it make a difference? No. We actually had worse luck with a new boat that we named for the first time than we did with the used boat whose name we changed.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29   #3

You have a great boat. Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:34   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I have changed the name of every boat I have ever owned (except one) and did not suffer negatively at the hands of the fates. Yes, it was considered to be bad luck by the sailors of old. Mind you, so was having women on board.

Another superstition regarding the name of a boat was the letter 'A' - it was supposedly good luck to have the letter 'A' in a vessel's name, and apparently the more the better. That may explain the name on one of the used boats I purchased - 'Alcala'. When radioing anywhere I used to always get "Al who?"

My current cat was originally named 'Rumpleteaser'. I gather it was the name of one of the characters in the the play 'Cats', but it had become affectionately (or not) referred to by others as 'Bottom teaser'. Indeed, the previous owner had apparently been besieged by participants in a parade when he docked it in Toronto during Gay Pride week. And while I could care less about the sexual orientation of anyone, I had no desire to be sailing a boat that perpetually activated the 'gaydar' of other cruisers. I suppose it is somewhat akin to the name of ship in the famous skit about gay sailors on Saturday Night Live - remember, "stay tuned for another episode in the adventures of Captain Ned and the crew of the Raging Queen!

I, for one, happen to think that if boats had emotions, mine would have liked the attention they recieved from their new skipper (scrupulous maintenance and upgrades) as well as a new name to go along with their new lease on life.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41   #5

I enjoy your posts on other threads Brad. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:54   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Another superstition regarding the name of a boat was the letter 'A' - it was supposedly good luck to have the letter 'A' in a vessel's name, and apparently the more the better. That may explain the name on one of the used boats I purchased - 'Alcala'. When radioing anywhere I used to always get "Al who?"
Brad
The old way was to select the luckiest name. This was supposted to be a 7 letter boat name with 3 of them the letter "A". Alcala is a close example. Catalpa (the name of my boat) is another.

I've been thinking about changing the name of my boat, but can't bring myself to disregard the 'old ways'
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17   #7

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I haven't had bad luck with changing the names on both my boats. Did a nice ceremony, little toasting, got a little toasted Sometimes you have to change the name, both my boats had names that were good for the PO, but if I had to keep those names I might not have bought them.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33   #8

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
My boat's name has been changed no less than 5 times. (One time it was called The Fox and now, oddly, it's named The Rabbit) I'm considering a name change as soon as the weather warms up enough to have a nice ceremony outside. Still only considering though.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I bought my cat her name was Murmel, meaning marble in German. I not only changed her name, but her look too. I understand that lore has it a virgin should be sacrificed on the bow of a boat. This keeps the evil spirits away when changing the name. I could not find 2 virgins in Daytona. One for each bow since it is a cat. I changed the name anyway, and so far no bad luck....................
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:40   #10

Boat: B24
I’ve always changed the name once upon purchase or acquisition, but not again after… No reason, but I wouldn’t change my cat’s name or a dog’s, or my kid’s and given the amount of time a boat consumes they just become part of the family too… I suppose if one always refers to the vessel by it’s manufacturer, or model name, or rig or some other descriptive term, one could argue that name changing is no big deal – but once I begin referring to it by name, then the vessel is stuck with it I guess… at least up until I get irritated and tell it to start looking for a foster home…
Old 06-03-2008, 10:49   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
The old way was to select the luckiest name. This was supposted to be a 7 letter boat name with 3 of them the letter "A". Alcala is a close example. Catalpa (the name of my boat) is another.
Never heard of the stuff about the "A"'s and 7 letters........

But as luck has it "Wayluya" is seven letters anyway and only short the 1 "A"

Not done the ceremony bit yet (still mulling that one over / waiting for warmer weather ......am sure to start a thread at the appropriate time )......actually not done the paperwork yet .......but never been one to need the official boot of approval for stuff.........

Am I worried about bad luck or the "Sea Gods"?......No! - for 2 simple reasons 1) the Gods don't exist and 2) if they do, I strongly suspect they have more sense than to tangle with "Wayluya" ......in fact I have a feeling that should any nonsense start she would quite enjoy finding an uncomfortable home for a Trident
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:59   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
never had any issues changing the name of the boats we have owned but just owning them is tempting fate.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
When I bought my cat her name was Murmel, meaning marble in German. I not only changed her name, but her look too. I understand that lore has it a virgin should be sacrificed on the bow of a boat. This keeps the evil spirits away when changing the name. I could not find 2 virgins in Daytona. One for each bow since it is a cat. I changed the name anyway, and so far no bad luck....................
No virgins in Daytona? Imagine that.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:57   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
My boat is on its third name and is a total redo from the old look of the boat. IT seems like the more preventative maintenance that I do the less bad luck befalls me and my boat. Funny thing. LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 18:23   #15

Boat: Amel, Super Maramu, 53 feet - DoodleBug
Not superstitious

I believe that the superstition that changing the name of your boat brings bad luck is ludicrous nonsense. We bought a demonstrator from the dealer and did not like his chosen name of “Lorado“ and changed it to “DoodleBug”. Five hours after we signed the paperwork making DoodleBug ours, it was struck by lightning causing $60K worth of damage. It was struck while still at the dealer’s dock and had been 20 months at that same dock without mishap. 80 days later at the repair dock it was struck again. This time the damage was only $30K since only half of the repair work had been accomplished. We sailed from the repair dock in Ft. Lauderdale and crossed the Gulf of Mexico pursued by hurricane Claudette. She struck Corpus Christi two days after we arrived. Claudette was the first hurricane to hit that part of the Texas coast in 35 years. As it was, we chose to anchor out behind Mustang Island and suffered no damage. Am I superstitious? No Way! Would I change a boat name again? Well………….
Fair Winds,
Ed
Ed Steele is offline   Reply With Quote