Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Would you allow this...???
Yes 114 95.00%
No 6 5.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2010, 05:33   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
Any time I get on a boat, I know it's up to me to follow any laws, and take precautions to keep myself safe. Participating in a very organized event with lots of rules, I still don't rely on the event sponsors, promoters, or officials to keep me safe. If I were to participate in this loosely organized event, it's the exact same situation.
You have a point...but they do it to protect themselves. Organized events can draw people who might not otherwise think to do something like it by themselves. And if something goes wrong, well, why not sue the guy who "invited" you to participate? Even if all he actually did was put out an ad or something general like that. So if they put up a bunch of rules, and insist on them being followed, it's much harder to make a lawsuit stick. Unfortunate - but I figure they're allowed to do what they can to protect themselves.
Spend time in a major recreational area and listen to the VHF for a few hours on the weekend. Chances are, you'll hear some guy in a little boat who went fishing too far out and got into trouble (usually not serious, but he's upset by it) and called the Coast Guard. One of their first questions is, "Is everyone on board wearing their life jacket" - I'm amazed how many times people will actually admit to not even having them on board in the first place. If they didn't even bring life jackets, how else might they be unprepared?
I guess it comes down to: People with common sense don't like the "nanny state" rules, but an awful lot of people don't have common sense.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 06:14   #77

You bring up some good points. I dislike the suit happy people as a rule. I think it's the height of bad manners to sue your host. From my one course in business law, I'd argue that by creating a couple of rules, you might be giving participants a false sense of security or an expectation of event safety and thus even open yourself up further to lawsuit. Sadly, if someone wants to sue, they will, but really, what rule could they have misunderstood? I suppose there's the swimming pool/tree house fence laws because uninvited minors are tempted to break trespassing laws, but I've always thought those were pretty crappy laws. I think by limiting the age, the organizers should be protected from the "enticement" stuff.

The people who underestimate the sea will continue to do so, with or without this event. I'd take a wild guess that people participating in this event will generally look out for each other. There might be a few gung ho types who will probably want to win at all costs, but I don't get the impression that winning is the real point of this event.
Puddlefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 06:30   #78
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
You have a point...but they do it to protect themselves. Organized events can draw people who might not otherwise think to do something like it by themselves. And if something goes wrong, well, why not sue the guy who "invited" you to participate? Even if all he actually did was put out an ad or something general like that. So if they put up a bunch of rules, and insist on them being followed, it's much harder to make a lawsuit stick. Unfortunate - but I figure they're allowed to do what they can to protect themselves.
Spend time in a major recreational area and listen to the VHF for a few hours on the weekend. Chances are, you'll hear some guy in a little boat who went fishing too far out and got into trouble (usually not serious, but he's upset by it) and called the Coast Guard. One of their first questions is, "Is everyone on board wearing their life jacket" - I'm amazed how many times people will actually admit to not even having them on board in the first place. If they didn't even bring life jackets, how else might they be unprepared?
I guess it comes down to: People with common sense don't like the "nanny state" rules, but an awful lot of people don't have common sense.
I think a lot off the posters are missing the purpose of the 'Jester' and slipped of into the safety issue..
The vast majority of the entrants have participated before or have significant milage under their keels to be fully aware of the risks and the steps nessecary to minimise them as much as it is possible to minimise.
If a Captain Calamity showed up I'm pretty sure he'd be spotted and pulled from the list of starters... it isn't as wide open as the 'Promo' suggests..
What is wide open is the Class of boat... its not restricted to expensive One Designs that put Ocean Racing beyond the Average Joe.. this event redresses that... a basic Mini Transat boat costs big bucks before you even consider fitting her out to meet requirements... so you need sponsers and the spiral begins...
This is a 'race' with no pre set IOR etc conditions.. in fact you'll find most cost less than $10,000.. for example Ming Ming the Corribee21... or most of the under 27ftrs.. the rest under $20,000...
Don't make the mistake that seems to run amok amongst many that money = safety..
My new Mini Transats safer than your 1978 Corribee21 coz it cost me $100,000...
the only thing you've bought with that 100K is speed.
The safety lies in the mind... the Crazies go for the glory... thats why you'll see no Ellen Mcarthurs, Jessie Watsons, Penhams and the like competing.. they'll go for the 'Round Britain Chalange" or "Cowes Week".... there's no "FAME"... only... as they say.. Personal Satisfaction.
People 'Stumble' across this event... outside the UK and a minority of Europeans this is a little known event that attracts few because of that... lack of "GLORY"...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote