Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 23:59   #1

Boat: '02 Jeanneau Sun Odyssy 43DS
Worth Sailing in Singapore

Hi all

I am considering a relocation to Singapore.
I currently live in Hong Kong and own a 1999 Catalina 36 mkll.

The problem l face is that l am getting mixed advice, some say that there is no wind in Singapore. Is that the case??

What is the sailing community like?
We are quite active sailors in HK, but among the cruising community, not interested in racing. For us is a family event ( wife, two young kids and me)

I am interested to hear from anyone currently sailing in Singapore, mostly families in my similar situation.

Also any information about clubs or registration processes. I visited the CSC a few months back in a Bizz trip and I enjoyed the atmosphere, but could not catch up with anyone there.
I have been also told of the RSYC and one 15 through my current club, but I am interested the true views of the individuals

Thanks in advance for the advise

Regards
Andres
andreshs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 00:09   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Worth Sailing in Singapore

Singapore...

- little to low to no winds for sailing. A much better power boating area. At least you will be able to get to Nongsa in 45min. Wow!!
- minimal islands to cruise...Lazurus wears thin after a while
- expensive marinas.....did I say 'expensive'? But your from HK so probably used to high fees.
- lack of available berths....seriously. Waiting lists....
- great folks at the marinas

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 00:49   #3

Hi Steve

Thanks for the prompt response.

Rather discouraging though.
What about trips out of Singapore, like Batam?
Is that any better?

I would like to avoid selling my boat to buy a speed boat
but sadly your reply is inline with the info I have been getting here....very sad though

Regards
Andres
Old 08-11-2014, 00:58   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

First on teh relocation to Hong Kong - In general people with kids who have lived in bothplaces say Singapore is better for the family. Couples find Hong Kong better.

There are active sailors all over Singapore.

During the Northeast Monsoon sailing is great. November to about March.
During the Southwest it is OK but really only good on the southern and south western side of the island. June - August.

During the transiitons it can be frustrating and a lot of drifting is to be had.

CSC currently has the most active sailing activities - biweekly twilight races and they run series races. For lower cost sailing CSC, SAF and Raffles are recommended. The south central marinas - RSYC, One15, Sentosa and Keppel offer various experiences.

As stated above all the sailors pretty much know or know of each other and the community is somewhat tight.

Not a lot of boats here and what we have changes hands primarily by word of mouth or bulletin board postings. Haulouts, maintenance and so forth can be challenging but it can be worked out.

Regional sailing (crusing) is not bad. Within weekends you have Malaysia and Indonesia in the south. A weeks trip can get you to Tioman, more time can get you up to Langkawi, penang and even Phuket/Thailand. CSC has organized a couple of flotillas to Tioman recently.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
What about trips out of Singapore, like Batam?
I have to go to Batam for work, I certainly would not go there for pleasure...
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:43   #6

Boat: Alberg 35 1966

Years ago, (but doubt the weather has changed much), I had an office in Singapore, and tried unsuccessfully to connect with local sailors for weekend sailing. Most discouraging was lack of wind. I ended up commuting to HK or Sydney for my sailing, and eventually moving my office to Sydney. Had a blast in HK crewing on a Farr 38 out of the Royal HKYC. Racing and local cruising. Anyway, good luck with your move, and may you always sail with fair winds and empty holding tanks.
Peter
phstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 17:44   #7

Hi Peter

Quite a contrast again. How can it be the perception so different?
Is it because the sailing season only lasts 6 months? (based on ex-calif comments)

Ex-calif

I am just surprised on the different answers

do you guys have many sailing families with young kids?
I dont have aircon on my boat, would it be critical to have it?

I have asked the gen manager of my club to get in contact with the CSC, RSYC and One15. I visited the CSC back in Feb and I found it quite charming. But where do you get the fuel and fresh water from? By the time I got to the club was already late and I could not see all the facilities

I am being told that a speedboat is a better option for Singapore, would you recommend that over a sailboat?
It is a total different approach to life, for us the fun part is getting there but it is true that with no wind you only get a seasick crue

Regards
Andres
Old 09-11-2014, 04:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Powernboats are power boats. You spend money anytiime you go out.

With a sailboat you can always motorsail.

Today the Sunday series went off on light winds. Maybe a 2 hour race 9-10 keel boats. The bar was full when I got there and a good time was being had by all.

Lots and lots of kids and if you have kids, like I said in teh first post, those who have lived in both places say Singapore is better for families. Air is cleaner, more activitites for younger ones.

There were a ton of dinghys out today as well.

CSC is tough in terms of provisioning the boat. There is a bunker barge across the way - 10-15 minute motor. There is "tap" water on the dock.

SAF Changi has slips w/ power and water. Maybe currently a waiting list last time I checked.

Not so sure no wind = seasick crew here. We are in very protect waters. No wind usually results in glassy conditions except for boat wakes.

Perceptions? - Glass half full vs. glass half empty I suppose...
Old 09-11-2014, 04:28   #9

Boat: William Garden Ketch

I agree with Dan, though I would pick Raffles Marina over CSC but it might be best to think about both. Raffles have many young people who cruise and have a thing called fun races where no one takes anything seriously. There are some younger couples with younger kids so I would check them out first. But CSC has the best youth training program on island so depending on kids age might tip your decision. In the old days the sailing season used to be RSYC for the NE monsoon and CSC for the SW. But reclamation has turned the marinas around that area into just places where the boats do not move much. Raffles was opened in the Mid 90's and has grown into quite a fun place to keep a boat and probably the easiest to get out sailing with in minutes of arriving at the boat. The winds are not as good as HK but during the NE monsoon you can still broach fairly easily.

I would not sell your boat. Singapore is a great place to have a boat. And a 35 footer doesn't need aircon. But I'd it does a simple window unit you can leave on the dock works great.

Cheers
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:12   #10

Thanks guys

I really need to take all the inputs into consideration and do more research on the ground.

l'll try to get a trip with the wife over there so she can see it first hand

anything else you might think about please dont hesitate

Regards
Andres
Old 10-11-2014, 20:41   #11

though Singapore has little by way of local islands to go to, depending upon time and experience, there are a bunch of destinations ...

off the east coast of malaysia you could go to tioman or rawa ... or even to the amanbas group and bawa, time permitting ...

then there's the massive riau archipelago to the south ... some 18,000 islands ...

or a leisurely trip up the west coast of malaysia to phuket, with langkawi along the way ... the season for this is end oct to end march ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:45   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreshs1 View Post
Thanks guys

I really need to take all the inputs into consideration and do more research on the ground.

l'll try to get a trip with the wife over there so she can see it first hand

anything else you might think about please dont hesitate

Regards
Andres
Look us up when you get here. I will introduce you around Changi.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:16   #13

Thanks for the offering Dan, l'll keep it in mind
I was there last week, unfortunately I was not aware about the possible relocation until Friday, just before leqving

Regards
Andres

Tags
sail, sailing, Singapore