Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2007, 09:18   #16

you might want to read this John Vigor bookhttp://www.amazon.com/Seaworthy-Offs.../dp/007137616X

In it he stresses that the most important component of an offshore vessel is the skipper's abilities.

The best advice I could give is to learn to navigate WITHOUT GPS. Then carry at least one spare handheld GPS units as well as the vessel's main GPS unit. Two reasons. 1. They could ALL fail to function and the most important 2. Some places are so badly charted that relying on GPS will only ensure that you run aground. Always fix your position using at least two methods and see that they match to a reasonable degree.

Best of luck. It took me years of sailing and learning before I felt I was even close to being prepared for off shore work. But then I tend to err on the conservative side. That and the fact that years ago I was off shore in another's boat when we were hit by a storm of such magnitude that the possibility of death wasn't too far removed.

best of luck to you.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:43   #17

Boat: S/Y Storm
Send a message via MSN to S/Y Storm Send a message via Skype™ to S/Y Storm
Hey all. Same dream, same goal.
New to this forum, and like it a lot. Been hunting around for a suitable boat, for the same purpuse, for years. Been locking at boats in the 36-44
range. The thing is that these boats costs from ..100000U$ (at least here in Norway). And that is a lot of money for a lot of us. I would say that the less you spend on you boat, the more plesure ou will have on your jurney. Just bougth myself a 33 feet steelboat for 10000U$. It needs a bit worke, but I am ready to set of the 1'th of may this yaer.
Good luck to you, and maybee we will meet one day.
My web-page will be published in 2-4 weeks. Take a lock..:-)

Regards
Aksel
S/Y Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2007, 09:57   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hey Jeff,

Great to see your advice to Ryan also, but sad to see your your point about we should not 'indulge' new site users who ask what appear to be basic questions.

We all started somewhere - and in my day did not have sites likes this to ask questions of. Now its available, guys like Ryan are mad not use it - even to ask which way to the equator is better than setting off without asking anyone!!

Each is more likely to move into sailing in a safer manner, if they get the support and the guidance they've asked for.......so why not continue to give it just as you have?

Cheers
JOHN