Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 18:09   #1

Working Remotely While In The Med

My wife and I are planning on sailing in the Adriatic, Ionian and Aegean next year, as I am planning on working remotely I am looking for any learning, insights or suggestions from cruisers who have found themselves in a similar situation. I have listed a few areas where I am looking for feedback.
1. Best value Service/Data provider (Speed and Cost)
2. Is it better to go with one provider that covers to whole area or purchase new SIM cards in each country
3. Availability of cell service or WIFI availability on remote islands/locations and marinas
4. Availability of on shore office sharing facilities
5. Suggestions for Hotspot, MIFI, cell and WIFI booster antenna’s
6. What communication equipment should we purchase in the US before heading across to the Med.

Doug Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 20:07   #2

Re: Working Remotely While In The Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gray View Post
My wife and I are planning on sailing in the Adriatic, Ionian and Aegean next year, as I am planning on working remotely I am looking for any learning, insights or suggestions from cruisers who have found themselves in a similar situation. I have listed a few areas where I am looking for feedback.
1. Best value Service/Data provider (Speed and Cost)
2. Is it better to go with one provider that covers to whole area or purchase new SIM cards in each country
3. Availability of cell service or WIFI availability on remote islands/locations and marinas
4. Availability of on shore office sharing facilities
5. Suggestions for Hotspot, MIFI, cell and WIFI booster antenna’s
6. What communication equipment should we purchase in the US before heading across to the Med.
Recommend looking at Google Fi with one of their phones. One sim works everywhere with the same data rate if you're in Kansas or Croatia and ability to pick the best provider in many countries.

redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 21:35   #3

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We are living in Corfu on the boat this winter.... here are some thoughts:

1) Greek SIM data plans sucks. We still have our old Italian SIMs because the plans are a lot richer in gigas. Sorry, but it's the ONE thing that's bad about greece! Also, Corfu specific... You WILL get burned by this, so listen up.... your phone, unless switched to MANUAL NETWORK SELECTION will occasionally grab Albania networks. Not only do you get a charge for this, and slower and less data during, but IT WILL TURN YOUR CLOCK BACK AN HOUR As I discovered waiting for a damn ferry. Get off auto network when you are in corfu, especially north corfu or the city.

2) We use this, called a Solis Skyroam. Have had one for years, flawless performance. Connect 5 devices wirelessly, unlimited data for 80 euros per month. High enough speed at all times to run big screen Netflix all day long if we like, plus 4 laptops, phones, whatever. Can't say enough good things about Solis....

https://www.skyroam.com/solis-lite-c...caAsm_EALw_wcB

3) To supplement the skyroam, we have a Badboy wifi stealer/extender. Pipes wifi into and around the boat from a few miles away. Couple it with either a cup of coffee or any number of wifi mapping apps to get nearby passwords, and it's a great addition to the solis above. We often run downloads on the badboy while working on the solis, and browsing on the phones data.... we got a system here

Bitstorm Online

4) A great little harbor/sailing club to hang out or to spend a few days is Mandraki, under the old venetian fortress. It's where we're overwintering, super simple, tiny but gorgeous and protected from over 50 knots on the nose (as we discovered last week). Private beach, bougainvillea, crumbling castle walls, it's the prettiest place in the world. We changed our whole plans when we found it. Come say hi!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191114_124628-01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	467.1 KB
ID:	203180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191115_125150-01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	203181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191102_134234-03.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	203182  
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 10:49   #4

Great info, many thanks. Cheers Doug
Doug Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 11:08   #5
AST

Very interested in this thread. I thought about doing the same (I can work remote as well) but opted to cruise the Caribbeans instead.
I can speak about Croatia. We bought sim from there $10 will get unlimited data for one week (no throttling). So I guess it would be $40/month.
Coverage was awesome. We sailed to the island of Vis and even on e Western side of it I saw 70 Mbps (yes 70. I don't see that here in the US). It was from T-Mobile. You can also do Google FI as suggested by others. But it depends on your reliability requirements. I have Google FI and I still buy local sim for redundancy.
AST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 12:51   #6

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Second Sojourner's opinion. I have had both Cosmote and Vodafone Gr, One in the router one in the phone so in theory overlapping coverage. Not the cheapest way to do it and customer service is generally poor. Speed was enough for video although spotty at times
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 01:03   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
We are living in Corfu on the boat this winter.... here are some thoughts:

1) Greek SIM data plans sucks. We still have our old Italian SIMs because the plans are a lot richer in gigas. Sorry, but it's the ONE thing that's bad about greece! Also, Corfu specific... You WILL get burned by this, so listen up.... your phone, unless switched to MANUAL NETWORK SELECTION will occasionally grab Albania networks. Not only do you get a charge for this, and slower and less data during, but IT WILL TURN YOUR CLOCK BACK AN HOUR As I discovered waiting for a damn ferry. Get off auto network when you are in corfu, especially north corfu or the city.

2) We use this, called a Solis Skyroam. Have had one for years, flawless performance. Connect 5 devices wirelessly, unlimited data for 80 euros per month. High enough speed at all times to run big screen Netflix all day long if we like, plus 4 laptops, phones, whatever. Can't say enough good things about Solis....

https://www.skyroam.com/solis-lite-c...caAsm_EALw_wcB

3) To supplement the skyroam, we have a Badboy wifi stealer/extender. Pipes wifi into and around the boat from a few miles away. Couple it with either a cup of coffee or any number of wifi mapping apps to get nearby passwords, and it's a great addition to the solis above. We often run downloads on the badboy while working on the solis, and browsing on the phones data.... we got a system here

Bitstorm Online

4) A great little harbor/sailing club to hang out or to spend a few days is Mandraki, under the old venetian fortress. It's where we're overwintering, super simple, tiny but gorgeous and protected from over 50 knots on the nose (as we discovered last week). Private beach, bougainvillea, crumbling castle walls, it's the prettiest place in the world. We changed our whole plans when we found it. Come say hi!
Thanks for the info Cojo! Mandraki really looks like a "lekker"(Google is your friend) place..

Love reading about the weird and wonderful world of the 3 musketeers!
Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 02:34   #8

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransw View Post
Thanks for the info Cojo! Mandraki really looks like a "lekker"(Google is your friend) place..

Love reading about the weird and wonderful world of the 3 musketeers!
Google?! Nie dankie, bru, my favorite ex-love was south african, plus I can rap every die antwoord song, so I got this.... mandraki is lekker feer sekker
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 03:08   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thanks to European Union regulations the tele companies are meanwhile forced to offer their services with very limited or no roaming costs between the countries. So this is very good.

In addition there are more and more offering big data packages with lots of GB per months. I think even unlimited data flat rates are available.
The challenge might be that for regular contracts you typically need to be a resident. Pre-Pay solutions are easier to get but don't offer so nice flat rate options.
A few years ago we found "Tre Italia" very good. May be they are still offering nice solutions?
myocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 04:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Google?! Nie dankie, bru, my favorite ex-love was south african, plus I can rap every die antwoord song, so I got this.... mandraki is lekker feer sekker
Mooi! Have fun and keep up the good work!

(Will remember madraki..)

Fransw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, work