Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 06:40   #1

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Wooden Boats - What Advice / Experience Do You Have for Newbies ?

Well,as some of you know we have set our heart on owning a classic wooden boat . We have already heard about that being an expensive endeavour, however we are headstrong newbies and the wooden boats have a magic draw for us . We are not planning to set out for a circumnavigation the day after we get the boat ,but will be doing river boating,some coastal sailing to get experience before any big trip. We might even have an interim,not bluewater boat for that.

So my question for you would be what advice could you share with us ? Basically anything from what to look for when looking at a boat ,how to ventilate it, how to keep it maintained etc. Basically anything that you think is important ,different from plastic boats etc .
Thanks in advance .
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 07:17   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Invest in stock for sand paper, varnish, brushes, marine grade lumber.

You might as well get some benefit from what you are gonna be spending on those materials!

Oh, and get good saws, drills, etc. good tools make the work go easier.

Maybe invest in the powertool stock as well ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 07:22   #3

Thanks Sarafina ,good one . Tools - got it ! We are both pretty handy but tools we need to beef up on. Will start buying a piece of sandpaper a week too in preparation of the big day.
Old 19-05-2010, 07:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the
USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 07:29   #5

Thanks Gord ! I will make another cup of coffee and dive right into that one .Looks like a lot of good info .
Old 19-05-2010, 08:00   #6

Boat: Seapiper 35
You derive the most information from many knowledgeable people by joining the wooden boat forum at The WoodenBoat Forum Good luck on your endeavor.
chiropaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 08:26   #7

Wow Chiropaul , thanks for that .That is a great resource .
Old 19-05-2010, 08:35   #8

Adax
Many years ago I too was taken with the lure of the wooden boat. I had focused my sights on a 40 ft motorsail that would make a great liveaboard. I had a captain I knew take a look with me and I will always remember him saying " she looks great but plan on about 3 hours a day for upkeep". Of course me being the smart youngster said yeah right...in the end he was wrong.... more like 8 hours a day!
Gongal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 10:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Adax, do a search on Oh Joy for further insight into wooden boats....
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 11:47   #10

Thanks Yongal . Yikes . I hope that a reduction in length means a reduction in working hours .

Charlie Cobra , thanks I will do a search on that .
Old 20-05-2010, 05:22   #11

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adax View Post
the wooden boats have a magic draw for us ...

Traditional wood construction, in my experience, entails either continuous low-level work, or shorter periods of high-intensity work. But if you love wood, it won’t matter. With a modicum of attention even mediocre woods can survive nicely for many years and, conversely, even the most elite boats from the best yards will fall apart before your eyes if neglected or repaired negligently.

I’ve had a couple of wood boats (26’ and 50’) and although the builders had widely varied reputations, both were about the same… ventilation is tremendously important, fresh water cannot be allowed constant contact and despite marina lore to the contrary there is no such a thing as rot-proof wood (at least not generally available), although I suppose some doesn’t rot, they just decompose if not kept up. Varnish looks cute, but even the best ain’t worth a hoot compared to proper paint as far as protecting wood... don’t misunderstand me, I haven’t given up on wood, quite to the contrary – my Admiral is a consummate woodworker so we’re always playing with the stuff, but I’m in the middle of eradicating most varnished wood from above decks and am seriously considering doing away with all but varnished trim below decks as well – my current passion is wood slathered with a good saturating coat of epoxy, which so far seems to be the trick as far as I’m concern so long as the epoxy barrier is not breached.
Old 20-05-2010, 07:51   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
It's a lifestyle choice. Lots of work and learning. I like mine very much. It makes me feel connected to history. Really an amazing experience in total.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 11:19   #13

Thanks Dc, that is useful data . The search for a boat has now started in earnest so any info is very welcome . Luckily my partner has found himself a good man who will inspect the boat with him so between the two of them they should make a good choice.

Idora ,thanks for the encouraging words . Good to meet happy owners .
Old 20-05-2010, 11:32   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Advantages...beauty.

Disadvantages...time and money.

Its up to the individual to set their priorities.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 11:47   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wooden bots are very very cool but also very very uncool--they are beautiful ONLY as long as the upkeep is continuous and constant.
i learned to sail onone. i love them.i will not own one ..LOL....need lots andlots of money. start with the basic boat and 100,000 dolars for stating out. need caulk and cotton and lots of fasteners. need planks just in case. need extra wood for repairing mast and replacing planks
this also takes up space inside boat. pine will not do -- must be a hard wood properly treated for use in water 100 percent of time---sea water is kindlier to many hull woods than is fresh' go figger--and mahogany rots in both equally...looks great until it fails.. then ye need more money than gods ....if you still want a wood boat--remember they are very expensive to insure and some places uninsurable.....goood luck. i still love them......but i will never own one...but they are soooo sexy...... butthey cost sooo much to fix and keep maintained..but they are soooooo cool to look at.....yada yada yada......make up your own mind but be aware of the pitfalls of wooden boats ... they are worse than an ice queen.....and they ARE your mistress--wife could get very jealous of the time spent with the mistress ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote