Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-09-2005, 19:22   #16

Boat: currently "on the beach"
kai nui - i assume you know worms were the real menace to wooden hulls. in southern waters boats would be taken up fresh water rivers to help kill then off. copper clad and other methods were employed to help protect.
my macintosh cutter was 26 on deck with a boomkin and sprit. cedar plank, original fasteners bronze and then refasten galvi . sweet sailing boat. sailed lots of aldens in the 40 ft range and did repair work on many - ah, that sweet smell of dryrot. biggest i cruised was 72' staysail schooner that is still going today although i believe she has received a couple of $400,000 refits. can't even get close to playing that game. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 19:34   #17
Kai Nui

Unfortunately there are some things even modern technology has not cured.
Sounds like an incredible vessel (the Macintosh).
What sort of sailing did you so on those vessels?
Of all the vessels I have sailed, my 28' cutter, Kittiwake, and my old 28' Angleman, Kai Nui, have been the most pleasurable. I have not made a blue water crossing with either, but for coastal, nothing else has compared.

Old 14-09-2005, 19:59   #18

Boat: currently "on the beach"
just partying around new england - wasting my youth. most enjoyable. the schooner was a delivery to tortola. capt. lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 20:02   #19
Kai Nui

The only time youth is wasted is while longing to be old.
Sounds like a blast. So, how much of you watches were spent sanding, oiling and polishing?
Old 14-09-2005, 21:32   #20

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Cold moulded

Yuse can call it cold moulded if you like, but to me it is a wood boat with a layer of cloth on the outside. What else could you call the building material? They call them wood boats in NZ and that is where a large number of them are built and have been built. A layered wood boat does not leak, a fibreglass boat will leak more. That is a fibreglass boat that is built backwards ( outside in ) has a layer of gelcoat, and the early gelcoat on most boats has been shown to be porous. It leaks. When you build the boat from the inside out and cover it with cloth, it does not and can not leak. I am not including hull fittings when I say this. They would be mostly the same. So as I said earlier we need to differenciate the different ways of building wood boats, and not make a statement about them all, when it may be applicable to only one type. It might also be handy to mention the type of wood being used. That is how they are generally listed when offered for sale.
Michael
Old 14-09-2005, 22:04   #21
Kai Nui

WOAH! slow down Michael! Cold molded are fine. Like I said, "wood is good" ! Nothing feels the same as a wood boat. You are correct about the gel coat. It has been the end of many of the early glass boats. I recently purchased a cold molded trimaran, and I have to say, on the hard you certainly know you are on a wood boat. In the water has yet to be seen.
I am also of the opinion that a little salt water in the bilge of a traditional wood boat is a good thing. Keeps the wood healthy.
So, you are a cold molded kinda guy, what do you sail these days, and where do you sail?
Old 15-09-2005, 09:13   #22

More wood

I am agreeing with you not oposing. Just trying to clarify a term.
Three things have been mentioned to date on this thread.
Wood leaks, wood rots, worms eat wood and I agree with all three. But if it is a layered ( cold moulded ) boat built from the correct wood, it will not leak, will not rot in yours or your childrens life time, and the worms will not eat it.
I have a moderate displacement Tanzer 8.5 m 1979 that has given me excellent service. It is solid fibreglass. In NZ is a 36 boat that was designed for me in cold moulded wood. My brother ( at my suggestion ) has a fibreglass hull and a wood deck.
Michael
Old 15-09-2005, 20:46   #23
Kai Nui

Don't sweat it, I figured it out
How does the plywood boat sail compared to glass? Have you done any blue water with her?
I think there is a certain amout of natural warmth that comes from a wooden boat, that you do not get from plastic. How does the Cold Molded compare?
Old 23-09-2005, 19:32   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
For BC Mike

Mike,

Here is a friends boat that I thought you might appreciate. It's all Kauri wood.

The problem today is you can not buy the stuff any more. A couple years ago he had to cut up his solon table just to make frames for the new deck hatches.
Although, Knowing the value of the stuff there are several plantations sprouting up around the Pacific.

This hull has three laps of 2" X 1/2" strips. the first on the inside at a 45 degree angle going down to forward, the second horizontal, and the third at a 45 degree going down towards the aft.

The frames and deck supports are laminated strips into the proper arcs, as you can see in some of the pictures.

The only problem with the boat is the iron keel. It wasn't done very well. It's not uniform and off center ever so slightly. If I owned the boat I'd just replace the keel with a lead updated version. Anyway.........................................._/)

BTW- I heard is was for sale.
And I manufactured the line chocks.
Old 23-09-2005, 20:02   #25
Kai Nui

Nice yacht! I like the layout. Good job on the line chocks. I also am impressed with the backstay chain plates. Looks a bit like a Lapworth design. A bit low in the transom though. Bet she sails great.
Old 24-09-2005, 11:42   #26

wood boat pics

Real sweet lines.
I like the arched wood inside. That is how my brothers boat is done, again at my suggestion.
Some of the old houses that are being torn down in NZ have Kauri floors, the wood is being sved. Fiji still has some Kauri.
I got drunk with the owner, and others, of a mill who got rights to harvest some Kauri. We did it all again when he lost those rights about a year latter. The govt. had to settle the costs with the mill as we moved an entire logging milling operation about two hundred miles.
For me keel bolts are critical, and I want to know how a keel is attached.
How big is the boat in the pics and how much $$ and who designed it??

Michael
Old 25-09-2005, 22:20   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: wood boat pics

Quote:
BC Mike C once whispered in the wind:

How big is the boat in the pics and how much $$ and who designed it??

Michael
The vessel is 43' and I heard that he wanted around 250K. He's found a 60' that he wants to buy.

The manufacture was the owner of a boat yard somewhere in NZ, can't remember who or where. He built it as a pet project but ended up selling it for another project.

Oh BTW, the keel is lead not iron. My memory slipped me a bit thar............_/)
Old 26-09-2005, 17:40   #28

Boat

It is too big and much to much $$ for me, but still pretty.
Michael
Old 26-09-2005, 19:55   #29
Kai Nui

Always the conundrum, dwindling resources, or classic vessels. HMMMM?
Still, a wood boat can be built from farmed wood. On the U.S. west coast, fir is an abundant material, and easy to work.
Nothing more beatiful than well cared for wood.
Has anyone ever heard of redwood being used as a boat building material?
Old 26-09-2005, 22:41   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The problem with Redwood is it will not hold with standard fasteners. Too soft.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: