Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2005, 00:07   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Danielle once whispered in the wind:
We would like a 38 – 40 ft boat and our budget for a boat is around 60 – 65,000 is it possible to find a good boat of this size that is in pretty good shape for this price range.. and if so what boats would you guys suggest..
The positive part is that you'll be able to choose the boat together and pick what its mandatory’s will be. Like shallow water cruising. You don't have to sell or be stuck with what you have. For cruising you'll want a stove that you can bake in and a good shower and plenty of water storage.

The problem is you'll have to be very patient, for 60-65 G's. It'll have to be one of those "Special Opportunities" that comes along very seldom. And you'll have to jump on it when it happens. So be prepared to do it when it happens or you'll loose it. Submerse yourselves in the ads like Yatchworld.com and other sites that sell boats, especially in your area. Your best deal will be where it just needs a lot of cosmetic work and the owners have lost interest a few years ago and have just decided to sell.

Don't go for one that's been on the market for a long time, not a good sign! Get that one that just showed up and meets your spec's.

One more thing, list and eliminate the boats that you don't want, and stick to it. Don't let that shinny, pretty, not so well built boat suck you into a sale.

Fair winds.............
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 23:26   #17

Meals are not that big of a problem. Small fridge problem? Prep in advance meals that can be warmed up. Pack in zip-lock, cook & freeze ahead of time. All it takes is a small pan of water to re-heat it in & presto! hot meal. Don;t forget use the water you warmed your meal in to do the dishes with. If you are only off-shore 2-3 weeks at a time, this will work. If you are a-sea longer, phew! k-rations or dried foods. Don't worry!, it makes your time a-shore that much sweeter. During our long race (1200) miles all of the crew gained weight with my preps!!!
Old 28-05-2009, 15:42   #18

Boat: Caliber 35
Hi Danielle,

What do I miss? My microwave and air conditioning. Other than that, I'm a happy sailor. We owned a CSY 44 for about 7 years and, yes, it was a roomy boat and we safely went all over the Caribbean in it. There were things I didn't like about it, such as it was a very slow boat in lighter air (and I mean 10 knots). We now have a Caliber 35, and at first I missed all that extra space, but I've adjusted and love it. It is the difference between having a 5-bedroom/3 bath 2-story house plus garage with yard versus a 2 bedroom 1 +half baths condo. It is a lot less maintenance (LOVE THAT) and a lot lower costs (LOVE THAT), and we can still sail even in light winds (and I mean in 5 knots). We added an extra water bladder under the V-berth, but I do miss the hundreds of gallons of water on the CSY. I LOVE that I can easily single hand the smaller boat, because I frequently need to do that as my husband's elderly parents sometimes require his care for extended periods of time.

EvieB
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 07:21   #19

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
As for provisioning -- you don't need to store the tons of tons of food you might think. A good friend who had cruised for many years before we cast off the first time told me something that changed my view of provisioning. She said "People eat food all over the world."

DUH - right? :lol

But it's true, we mostly packed up the treats -- dark chocolate, good wine, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, good tea, etc. If you cruise anywhere that's inhabited, you will find basic food. And if you shop where the locals shop and eat what the locals eat you'll have more fun, probably eat healthier, and expand your culinary horizons.

My husband did not "drag" me aboard or talk me in to it, we met while we were each searching for a boat to live on individually, and when we combined our resources we got a much nicer first boat and jumped aboard. We've been living aboard full time for 11 years with cruising there in the middle and yet again in a couple more years when our son is a little older.

I hope you work it all out, it's a beautiful way to live!
Cheers
Cindy (Schoonerdogs wife)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 23:03   #20

Being in charge... that's the thing many women afloat miss/want/need. Ashore you want your own car, or at least to take the car when you can to where you want. Afloat it's the same thing: if you can't decide when to go, where to go, or how to go ever, then it's not very attractive.

When we first got into boats, my partner and I took turns being skipper. After a few years of day sails and overnighters we each had enough confidence - in ourselves and each other - so it wasn't an issue for us anymore. Now I'm usually the skipper, mostly because the partner has the career and wants to sit to leeward with a book, the binoculars, while I am focused on the boat and organizing our adventures afloat.

Mind you, this isn't quite either of our dreams. I'd like to sail away into the sunset, full time cruising couple with occasional periods of cruising kitty refurbishment. My partner would like a large condo in the heart of the city near the career, with holidays flying to exotic locations. Instead, we compromise, like boats and everything else in marriage.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 05:48   #21

Boat: Buizen 48
Lightbulb A professional opinion

D

The limited information you have provided about yourself and your partner equates to "how long is a piece of string", with the responses you've received on this thread equally broad-based.

Rather than simply provide what I professionally regard as "your generalities", may I suggest you (and your partner) separately identify your respective:
  • 10 most significant concerns/fears
  • 10 most significant needs (things you do not want to have to give-up/lose),
  • 10 most significant anything you are prepared to compromise on
  • 10 most significant reasons for doing it
  • 10 most significant reasons for not doing it
  • 10 most significant anything you expect to gain/accomplish from doing it
  • 10 most significant anything you may lose/not accomplish from doing it
Then compare lists and discuss them. In other words gain a hell of alot more insight into the whats and whys of this new life journey you and your partner are contemplating.

I personally believe you are putting "the cart before the horse", by simply concluding "Ok, we have 65K to spend, how we going to do this."

I crewed for primarily for couples 1/2 way round the world, very few who were "in alignment" on the journey they had undertook, and it did not make for a pleasant experience for most of them.

I would compare them to any couple who decide to stay together "for the kids" ... everyone loses!
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 06:21   #22

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
All great advice, but she's probably back by now, as the original post was in 2005...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 06:58   #23

Boat: CT54
I believe all the replies have much to offer.
I will try to address the more specific question of wha I find more difficult about living aboard. We moved aboard 3 years ago and although I cannot imagine living back on land now that attitude did not come always come easily.
The first 6 months were the hardest mostly because I believe we were on a mooring so we had to take a dinghy to shore to let the dogs relieve themselves, bring my husband to work and get my daughter to school. Since we moved aboard in February the weather was bad quite often and the dinghy ride would often suck. In our case my husband is still working for the fire department so he would be gone for 24 hours at a time and if he had overtime (which was often) he would be gone 72 hours which left me in charge of anything that came up including making sure my daughter made it to school each morning. It was difficult and there were several times that I thought I could jump ship.
Then the better weather came (what a difference that makes on a boat). Life was easy and we all started getting the hang of things. The next two winters were a lot easier. We still had bad weather and wet dinghy rides but we had adjusted and found ways to make life easier on ourselves.
My advice would be:
Get a boat that suits you.
If you are not going to be tied to a dock a nice dinghy with a reliable outboard is great.
If you can stay away from schedules by all means do.
If both you and your husband are retired it no doubt would be better.
Give yourself time to adjust and by all means don't move aboard when there are a bunch of storms on the horizon
Now on the positive side of the coin livingaboard is one of the best things we have done. We have the freedom most only dream of. I really believe fear of change keeps most from fulfilling there dream.
Also we can travel the world and never leave home (how great is that?).
We have all gained some perspective on what life is really about.
We have met some great friends with similar views.
I think living on a boat has ruined me for ever being happy on land again.
A great way of life in my opinion and one that should not be missed if you can make the move.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 07:03   #24

Boat: CT54
Haha
I can't believe I took the time responding to a post from 2005! I definately need to check dates in the future.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 10:48   #25
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
That's the beauty of old threads like this. The questions and the answers can be "timeless", and worthwhile posts can be made years after the OP has moved on.