Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 14:52   #1

Winterization question

So, I'm in NC and we have some below freezing temps for the next couple of days (low of 18 tonight, high of 30 tomorrow, low of 25 the next night). The boat is in the water which is roughly 45-50 degrees.

Given that it is sitting in a warm water bath, relative to the air temperature anyway, in your experience would you feel the need to winterize for this event?
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 14:57   #2

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: Winterization question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSloth View Post
So, I'm in NC and we have some below freezing temps for the next couple of days (low of 18 tonight, high of 30 tomorrow, low of 25 the next night). The boat is in the water which is roughly 45-50 degrees.

Given that it is sitting in a warm water bath, relative to the air temperature anyway, in your experience would you feel the need to winterize for this event?
Not enough information. Do you have an engine in this boat? Inboard or outboard? Do you have a water system, tank/pump/lines/sink/drain in the boat?.

Are you at a dock or on a hook?

Without this info it is hard to give you useful information.
Old 07-01-2015, 15:28   #3

40' cutter, inboard diesel, raw water/heat exachanger cooling. Tanks, sinks, water heater, etc..

A lot of people down this way don't winterize because the water stays so warm. I have someone taking care of the boat right now so I don't have to rush over and winterize it right this minute. I'm just curious to know what others' experiences are for those occasions where I haven't been able to get it winterized and don't have anyone watching it.
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:39   #4

Boat: Beneteau 473

If you have a cruise air reverse cycle, I'd run the heat. I lost the transom shower head last late November in similar conditions here in Connecticut. You may want to turn off the water there and drain the hose. I wonder if an anchor wash down is susceptible at those low temps. So anything with water at and over the waterline and outside you may want to drain and antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 15:48   #5

If you can run heat on board, that's the easiest. I didn't winterise last winter with temperatures dropping to -30, but I had electric heat running all the time.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:01   #6

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Your engine is likely under no danger. Your toilet/black water system and your water system could be at risk if the cold snap continues. If you are at a dock that maintains electrical power I would suggest a heater on board - I prefer the oil filled radiator type as opposed to the glowing space heaters. They are a fire hazard.

Any deck/cockpit wash down is much more at risk even with the space heater. I would shut that off and drain it as was suggested.

A prolonged freeze period could change all that. Unlikely in your area, tho.
Old 07-01-2015, 16:05   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

I would be primarily concerned about the parts of the fresh water plumbing that might be close to the hull above the waterline and insulated from interior heat by cabinetry, particularly if they are joined by plastic T fittings. The hoses will expand a bit if they freeze solid, but the fittings will just crack. I would not worry about the engine with those temps.

That said, with those water temps and daytime temps I think you'll be OK. But it's very hard to forecast accurately
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote