Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2012, 04:58   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Winter Cometh

I am sure the vast majority of the sailors here, when the cold months set in, toss on a sweater and don't give it much thought.

However, some us sail where in the winter where the normally liquid water transforms into a solid and not so friendly sheet of ice several feet thick.

This thread is for those that dread the end of another sailing season.

How many of us, dust off the trailers and pull our boats from the water for the winter months?

I will be pulling my boat around Nov 15 and be out till about Mar 15.

How about you? What dates are you and your boat evicted, ejected, dejected from the water?

(For those year round folks, we feel your pain. Lol)
Old 24-09-2012, 10:14   #2

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
re: Winter Cometh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
How many of us, dust off the trailers and pull our boats from the water for the winter months?
Pulling at the end of October, losing job can't afford slip rent.

Hope to still sail as I have a trailerable and live in Texas.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 10:44   #3

Pulling early October.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 11:12   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Cold in Toronto today. Had my last sail up here on the weekend. Stick'll come out next week and the boat goes on the hard at the end of October. Used to sail right up to haulout but getting wimpy in my old age. Cold, wet spray is not for me, even if it isn't sticky.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:55   #5

Boat: Rafiki 37

I hate this time of year. Tearing apart the boat and getting her ready for the six months of deep freeze is always so depressing .

We'll be pulling within the next week or so. Temperatures are going down to zero Celsius up here on Lake Superior. The water won't turn hard for another couple of months, but it gets pretty miserable on the Big Lake when the temperatures start getting cold.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:01   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

winter cometh!!!! means HIGH SEASON, and SAILING TIME!!!!!
probably going to go to zihuatenejo for a coupla months then south before 'cane season--we see what really happens..lol..after all, we be cruisin'!!!!!
and for those doubting folks, there WILL again, as usual, be pictures, so ye know i am really not behind a freeking desk making noises....LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:06   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
winter cometh!!!! means HIGH SEASON, and SAILING TIME!!!!!

Yes it is. Time to head south and sail the Bahamas. But I'll stay here till November.
Old 24-09-2012, 12:09   #8

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

we are on the Chesapeake and right now contemplating leaving it in the water all winter.....but winterizing what we need to.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:17   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post

About the same for me. I try to come out of the water late/last so I can go in early/first next year!
Old 24-09-2012, 12:44   #10

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Winter Cometh

Kewalo is still at Leamington marina...it hasn't moved since I broke my leg. My son is currently fabricating a cradle for it for the winter....and then a friend of mine is going to sail it back to Lasalle for us....I still can't put any weight on my leg for another 4 weeks....thank goodness we're blessed with good family and friends.

Jamie has a 33' Tahitian ketch that his partner is going to bring back as well, so it's just a matter of a good weather window, co-ordinating timing with his partner, and away we go, always more fun to sail with another boat or two. We've got this week, but then Jamie et al, sans moi....<grin> are off to Annapolis for a week.....sure wish I could go there as well, but can't afford to miss all that physical therapy for the leg.....my range of mobility for my foot is almost nil...but it IS getting better every session.

Hope to have her back next week, then a survey for the insurance company and prepped for winter. Going to leave the stick up this year.....and least that's the plan so far. When is it going back in?....as soon as I can get it back in! I miss sailing!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 12:51   #11

Boat: Island Packet 380

Coming out of the water in the middle of October. Cold sailing this last weekend, 56 degrees and 20 knots of wind. Brrrr....when are we leaving for the tropics again

I little anxious about pulling this new to us boat this year. Boat has never been winterized and we have all kinds of systems that we have never had before, nor had to winterize before. I may be asking a few questions about that on another thread.

I guess we will find out in spring how well we did with winterizing. I am hopeful that we did a good job and don't find any added unexpected expenses due to a bad winterization job.
Old 24-09-2012, 13:21   #12

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

It was a nice warm August day out in Rhode Island Sound when I decided to check my email. There was a message from the woman who oversees the local yard saying it was time to schedule winter haul-outs. Far and away the worst message of the month.

We'll haul in the second half of October. It gives me time to get some work done while on the hard and still have time to put the cover on before everything freezes up. I'll visit the boat every few weeks through the winter and then uncover around April 1st for launch in May.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 14:59   #13

Boat: CS 36t

I think that we are getting a biased sample of the boating population on this one based on the responses so far. We try to have the boat in from the beginning of may to mid october and we are almost always one of the first ones in around here and one of the later ones out. The ones that stay in longer are generally ones that go in late and have owners who are always late on everything, we like to come out before the bigger fall nor'easters start rolling through.

Where I anchored saturday night, over half of the mooring field was already empty and I know of a few other places which I suspect are even more vacant.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:19   #14

Boat: Catalina 320 32'
Hauling out the middle of October in Traverse City Michigan. It will be a sad day, but looking forward to several good weekends yet. The colors are beautiful. Thinking of having it shrink wrapped for the first time this year. Anybody have any thoughts on that? The way I'm looking at it is over a 10 year period I will spend about $5000 on having it shrink wrapped every year. I'm thinking the boat should be worth $5000 more if I do, maybe.
bczful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 15:26   #15

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Hay I have room for at least 1 if not 2 boats behind the house down here!! yall are welcome, first come first docked !! LOL Really the sailin gets good in justa week or 2 ! Mexico real close !! and some good ICW sailin also! Come on down and pass a good time !!!