Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 15:16   #1

Windlass only goes down

I have this issue and can't figure out why. My windlass works fine in the down position, but won't work in the up position.

We pulled the anchor up enough for there to be plenty of slack (i.e. virtually no effort for the windlass), but it would only operate in one direction.

What would be the cause and fix for this?
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 15:26   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Windlass only goes down

Is there a switch for up and one for down?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 15:30   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Pull the waterproof cover pdf the down button, clean the contacts.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 15:51   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

reverse the 2 outside spade connectors on the contactor. The centre black should be connected to negative. If it goes the other way, contactor is bad. Lewmar contactors do this regularly, not good quality.
Old 20-09-2016, 17:47   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

I have the opposite problem .... goes up but not down. For a week or so I have been deploying the anchor in freefall mode, but I really miss the up/down with remote while standing on the foredeck and watching.

I suspected a loose/corroded cable to terminal joint but I was not so lucky. Maybe you will be.

I first verified that the solenoid was OK. An easy check is to listen for it to clunk in each direction. Once confirmed, then swap over the up/down terminals and test.

The terminals on my windlass are not accessible without lifting it. So I unbolted it and turned it over. One of the terminals was loose (yippee I thought). But as I was removing its rubber insulting boot, the whole stud slipped out.

So now I am removing the motor and will take it to a repairer today.

As an aside, I was impressed with Muir telephone support. I called the head office and was able to speak with a knowledgable person who advised me how to disassemble to the next stage and referred me to a local repairer. He said the replacement parts would be available in their state warehouse, a day's freight. I just needed to determine the specific motor model, and would probably need a new brush assembly ... or possibly just replace the stud .
Old 20-09-2016, 23:46   #6

My windlass has a wired remote with 2 buttons. One for up and one for down.
Old 21-09-2016, 00:23   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

I had this problem on a number of occasions and it turned out to be the use of SS nuts and washers on the power cable stud connections into the motor. Under the high currents when hoisting the anchor the SS nuts and washers acted like resisters, heated up the stud and the soldered connection between stud and the field coils de-soldered itself. Happened a couple of times and once after I had taken it to an electrical shop where they re-soldered it with a high temperature solder. Fixed it by putting copper washers and brass nuts on the studs.

Had the same problem with studded cranking batteries which were supplied with SS washers and nuts instead of chrome plated brass.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 03:14   #8

You need a more cooperative girlfriend ;-)... just kiddin'
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:31   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

+1 Bluestocking. swap leads at the contactor/solenoid switch and you'll probably have up not down. I have to rebuild my solenoid switch at least once a year... could be a bad up switch to. bridge the leads.

good luck
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:37   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

It's likely the relay box that is stuck on the down position. Locate the box, usually right beside the windlass motor and with a small hammer or a screwdriver handle knock on the box. It usually unstuck the relay. It happens usually when the relay Bo's is too old or when it gets too hot. For the longer term you may want to replace the relay box by a new one. Good luck!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:54   #11

Boat: Dufour 40

I had this problem a few months ago. Tried all the above but it turned out that the contacts on the relay were eroded. It seems that these cannot be rebuilt so a new relay fitted at a cost of 80 euros. ( I understand that golf cart ones do the same job at half the cost!)
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:16   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423

Our Lewmar H2 had this problem. It was the contactor inside the unit. It was a bear to replace 1) given the age, 2) how it is mouted, and 3) especially the location of our windlass. For the latter it was very difficult to reach the screws, then the remove them without stripping the hex heads, then peel the housing off because of the silicone used to keep moisture out.

As others mentioned it could also be in somewhere between button on the remote and the wiring up to the contactor. Start there as that should be the easiest to solve if that is the problem.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:40   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
I have this issue and can't figure out why. My windlass works fine in the down position, but won't work in the up position.

We pulled the anchor up enough for there to be plenty of slack (i.e. virtually no effort for the windlass), but it would only operate in one direction.

What would be the cause and fix for this?
Q1. When you say, "won't work in the up position", do you mean:

a) That there is motor turning sound and movement in down but not in up.
b) That there is motor turning sound in up, but no movement.

If a), then it is an electrical issue. If the remote won't make the motor turn in the up position, it could be the remote button, the remote cable (if not wireless), the remote controller, or the connections to the motor.

If there is an alternate way to operate the windlass electrically (foot switches or helm rocker switch, recommended) and it operates properly by them, then it is just a "remote" issue.

If it does not operate properly via alternate electrical means, then it is likely an actuator or wiring issue.

If b), then it could be that the freefall clutch is eased, and the turning motor cannot turn the capstan or gypsy. Tighten the freefall clutch and the issue should be resolved.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:34   #14

I fixed mine yesterday with... A hammer!
I could hear the relay ticking but had no up or down movement. A friend of mine suggested to hammer 3 times on the motor and thought he was nut! I did and my windlass now works like a charm.
Fai Tira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 12:59   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Q1. When you say, "won't work in the up position", do you mean:

a) That there is motor turning sound and movement in down but not in up.
b) That there is motor turning sound in up, but no movement.

If a), then it is an electrical issue. If the remote won't make the motor turn in the up position, it could be the remote button, the remote cable (if not wireless), the remote controller, or the connections to the motor.

If there is an alternate way to operate the windlass electrically (foot switches or helm rocker switch, recommended) and it operates properly by them, then it is just a "remote" issue.

If it does not operate properly via alternate electrical means, then it is likely an actuator or wiring issue.

If b), then it could be that the freefall clutch is eased, and the turning motor cannot turn the capstan or gypsy. Tighten the freefall clutch and the issue should be resolved.
There are 2 buttons on the wired remote. The down button works fine. When I press the up button. Nothing happens. No sound. Nothing.

Tags
wind, windlass