Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2004, 12:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Winches

Hi all, OK I have a 46ft Hartley Tahitian Ketch. She has never been sailed yet. We are currently fitting her out with deck hardware. I am about to fit two large sheet winches, one port, one Starboard ofcourse, to take care of the large Furling Headsail. We have all the necessary winches on the masts for Halyards, Reefing etc etc.
My question is, do I need more than the two large Main winches, or will the two be adiquate. What am I missing in my thinking.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2004, 04:46   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
On a 46 foot heavy displacement ketch you would probably want two primary winches to handle the Headstaysail (jib) sheets and one winch each for the staysail sheet (assuming that the staysail is self-tacking) mainsail sheet, and mizzen sheet. If you plan to fly a spinnaker you might want to add a pair of winches to fly the chute with although the jib sheet winches can double as spin sheet winches assuming that you drop the jib before raising the chute, which is often a bad idea as the jib serves to prevent a wrap on the raise.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 00:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Jeff. We won't be flying a Spinnaker. I think that will be too hard for just the two of us, and way to easy for things to come unglued. At least for a few years anyway, when we have gained considerable experiance.
We have one large Furling Headsail,( no smaller inner self tacking staysail), Mainsail and Mizzen. So I guess what we have will keep it all covered. Although, I was thinking that I may need something to handle the furling control line, to furl in the head when under load, especially if we have the sheet on the winch on that side of the boat.
Wheels

Old 24-06-2004, 01:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Winching Furler

Roller Reefing a Jib:

Sailing deep (off the wind - deep broad reach or running reach), with the headsail in the lee of the main, you can easily furl even a 140% genoa without using a winch. The mainsail will tend to shield the jib from the wind. Mild tensioning is kept on the jib's sheet to enable the jib to wrap snugly around the headstay/foil. This will prevent excess luffing of the sail and make furling easier. In a pinch, you can always let the jib out, by loosening it's sheet and rolling in the furler, but in high winds excess luffing may occur and this can damage the sail. The roller furling line must be carefully handled in a high-wind situation, or the wind may overpower the sailor and unfurl the sail. As you loosen this line, a high-wind may pull the line through your hands and unintentionally unroll the jib. It is sometimes helpful to place several loops of the line around a winch so the line can be stabilized. Then loosen the jib's sheet and with your hands pull in the jib's furling line.

The same problem exists when unfurling the jib in a high-wind situation. First loosen the furling line by a few feet and then secure it. Then un-furl the jib using the jib's working sheet. If you unroll the jib first with the sheet and the wind catches the sail, it may fully unroll the jib and pull the furling line through your hands. Thus, secure the furling line first.

NEVER TIGHTEN THE JIB's FURLING LINE USING A WINCH HANDLE. If the line gets caught on the forestay, this could bring down your rigging and in a high-wind situation dismast the boat.

There should be enough roller furling line to fully furl the jib, wrapping the sheet around it several times, regardless of the tightness of the furl.

Some useful websites:

The best reading may in be your specific Roller Reefing/Furling Owners' Manual

From Neil Pryde Sails: http://www.neilprydesails.com/info.htm
Roller Furling Headsail Trim Guide:
http://www.neilprydesails.com/pdf/Ad...20Headsail.pdf

Fine Tuning a Roller Reefing System: http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou...llerreefer.htm

Cruising Sails: Roller Furling Headsails by Carol Hasse
http://www.porttownsendsails.com/pdf..._headsails.pdf

HTH
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2004, 15:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Gord. I am going to do some reading now.
Oh boy, I cn't wait to get this thing sailing. I feel Like a wee boy at Christmas. But I am also filled with Nervouse anticipation. Wondering, Have I got everything covered the first time I hoist a sail. I hope to be ready to sail about September. It's mid winter here and too cld and too shorter day's to be worried about sailing, but ideal to get jobs done.
Wheels

Old 25-06-2004, 01:38   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
infinity

It's a boat & you're a sailor. Neither one of you will ever be "done".
Good luck,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote