Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:49   #1

Will Trade Lunch for Advice :-)

Hello all.

I am a few weeks away from making an offer on a boat (traded wife and house for boat). It is a beautiful Beneteau 50 that I intend to live on and eventually take on a RTW cruise. However, as you can all relate to, this is a huge investment (or should I say, outvestment), and I want to make sure I am making good decisions. I would love to talk with some of you who have done a lot of long passages, or ideally RTW trips, and hear your advice concerning this boat and my plans. Some say it's too big, a few say it's too small, and many say it is a perfect size. Some like Beneteaus for the trip, others don't. You know how it goes. I guess I am just looking for confirmation that I am not a complete idiot by pulling the trigger and "going for it". If any one lives in the Annapollis/Washington, DC area, and can offer good advice, I would love to take you to lunch and pick your brain. Or even better, have you look at the boat with me ;-). I feel like I have done my homework, but I am sure there are still many things I am missing.

Also, if I do buy the boat in July, I will be looking for sailing buddies in the area, so if you are interested feel free to contact me. This forum is awesome, and I have really appreciated all of your advice from my earlier thread. I hope to be able to contribute with my own experience one day soon.

Take care,

Eric
sleptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:08   #2

"A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future."
sleptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Get a survey. Should I post my PayPal number?

Check out more boats.

http://www.roguewaveyachtsales.com/s...ps=20&lineonly
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:09   #4

Eric, you are a complete idiot. So you’ve already passed the first qualification test for full time cruising, and with a very high score! All cruisers must be at least a little bit crazy - just ask their land based friends and relatives.

Look, if the boat is in good condition (you need a professional expert opinion) and you like/want and can afford it, then it’s a good choice. There are plenty of people cruising on 50' boats including Beneteaus. Most of them are not solo, but most cruisers are not solo irrespective of boat size. The only real down side to a relatively large boat is docking and maneuvering in crowded places. Also, big sails can be harder to manage in strong winds, but you plan for that or get electric assist. We met a solo cruiser on a 43' Gulf Star. He had a remote control for his engine and steering so he could stand on the bow and eyeball his way into shallow Bahamian anchorages. It would have been a good idea even for a 30 footer.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:10   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Eric,

Lunch first and I'll spill the beanz....

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47   #6

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
traded?

I'd like to do a similiar trade (house and wife), did you post it in CraigsList or on e-bay?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50   #7

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Don't talk to Mark, his boat is too small to sail around the world in.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:43   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i saw the lunch--is pband j...lol.......i said in the other thread that you should get the dang bendytoy and sail out in her and then when you are tired of it and being beaten up --sloop/ fin keel./spade rudder/ is a difficult combo to sail---i spent a yr in gulf if mexico sailing with a friend in one --not bendytoy, but that combo--lol-----we were passed by a bendytoy--go figger. 50 ft is a decent size for cruising---i wish my formosa were 51 instead of 41 ft..lol.....there is a market round the world for 50 ft boats--even to lease thru a charter company so if you want a different boat later isnt a bad thing--can be done in many different ways depending on economy......take A SURVEYOR WITH YOU FOR YOU R VISIT WITH THE FUTURE BRIDE---lol....before you buy her--will tell you what is wrong with her that he can find, with recommendations for repairs...among other things.....if you buy her you will need one anyway for insurance..

you wont know what you do not or do like until you have tried it---so-----try it--go for it--do it---buy the bendytoy and go!!!!
pix and stories....mandatory......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:55   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Don't talk to Mark, his boat is too small to sail around the world in.
I water her every day to see if she will grow.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:16   #10
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I water her every day to see if she will grow.

Water wouldn't work. Something like 100 year old Scotch is needed! Because that's like pouring money on the boat and that's the only thing boats respond to.
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 14:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Water wouldn't work. Something like 100 year old Scotch is needed! Because that's like pouring money on the boat and that's the only thing boats respond to.
Scotch won't make her grow, but if YOU drink it then she'll LOOK bigger from your position down on the floor at the foot of the bar. Assuming you can still focus.....

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:14   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Eric have you single-handed a 50' boat -- anchor/retrieving, picking up a mooring or coming to the dock without crew? In a good wind (e.g. 20 + knots)? As long as your "systems" work sail handling should not be an issue, but when (not if) they don't?
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Scotch won't make her grow, but if YOU drink it then she'll LOOK bigger from your position down on the floor at the foot of the bar. Assuming you can still focus.....

Out of focus just means she looks cleaner too...
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:57   #14

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Eric, anytime you want to go sailing, I'm at the western end of the Key Bridge.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 19:00   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleptic View Post
If any one lives in the Annapollis/Washington, DC area, and can offer good advice, I would love to take you to lunch and pick your brain. Or even better, have you look at the boat with me ;-). I feel like I have done my homework, but I am sure there are still many things I am missing.

Also, if I do buy the boat in July, I will be looking for sailing buddies in the area, so if you are interested feel free to contact me. This forum is awesome, and I have really appreciated all of your advice from my earlier thread. I hope to be able to contribute with my own experience one day soon.

Take care,

Eric
Congratulations!

- Don't second guess yourself - too much
- Don't listen to others - too much

Sounds like you have done your homework pretty well. You will find that your current friends are not going to change their lifestyle much. i.e. they won't spend a lot of time with you on your boat or share your passion. They might think you crazy, you might think them crazy.

So, find new friends that share the passion. You don't have to dump the old ones, just change the relationship a bit. Posting here is a good call. You need one or two solid friends/crew to get comfortable with the boat. As you gain experience single handing will become easier and easier.

Posting here is a good first move. I'd be all over the offer if I was close by.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote