Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-01-2013, 23:58   #76
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Will the Real Sailor Please Stand Up

I would guess there's not alot of people here who care for The Real Slim Shady. If your into humorus offensive non gangster white rap I would highly recommend eminems early work. If I was given the choice to either throw eminem off the planet or get rid of all gemini cats, I gotta say the gemini's would go. The slim shady EP is a must have for real sailors.

Old 31-01-2013, 00:32   #77

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

try putting that question in arabic, might be one or two old guys still trying to survive on a dhow somewhere, otherwise all sailing nowadays is artificial. Me, i fly when I have to get somewhere.

Old 31-01-2013, 02:21   #78

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
try putting that question in arabic, might be one or two old guys still trying to survive on a dhow somewhere, otherwise all sailing nowadays is artificial. Me, i fly when I have to get somewhere.
I am in the Persian Gulf right now. The dhows don't have sails any more. They do have very bright lasers for flashing in the windows of passing ships at night to harass ships that venture too close to their fishing gear. (We simply close our eyes and ignore them. They can go set their gear somewhere else besides heavily traveled shipping routes.)
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:24   #79

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
The real sailor is a state of being and mind. It has nothing to do with the length of time at sea. I "sailed" as a 3rd and 2nd mate on one of the last cargo steam ships in the MSC fleet, S.S. Robert E. Lee out of NOLA, she was a lash ship and we made all ports call in the middle east, bringing missiles and food to impoverished nations. We beached her doing 21kts at Alang, India, getting from there to the airport was an adventure all in itself. If I were to tell all the stories I have be it commercial fishing, sailing, tug boating, ship wrangling, there would be plenty here to call BS, even if I told the unvarnished truth. Fact is those are my adventures, and I don't care if anyone else believes them or not. If you work on a vessel because it pays more than slinging hash in a cafe, then you are not a sailor, if you go to the sea for the love of it then you are a sailor, regardless your mode of crossing.
....and isn't that the truth.?...thanks
Old 13-02-2013, 20:35   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Polynesians who sailed across much of the Pacific with NOTHING, but their brain and knowledge of the sea for guidance. We're just pretenders, what with GPS, ac, solar power, auto pilots, etc. And the biggie, the CG who come to our rescue when ever we get in over or heads. M\Not to mention Towboat US, who comes and drags our ass of ever sand bar we run into. Who's insurance none go without..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:09   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
The Polynesians who sailed across much of the Pacific with NOTHING, but their brain and knowledge of the sea for guidance. We're just pretenders, what with GPS, ac, solar power, auto pilots, etc. And the biggie, the CG who come to our rescue when ever we get in over or heads. M\Not to mention Towboat US, who comes and drags our ass of ever sand bar we run into. Who's insurance none go without..
Speak for yourself, mate...
Old 13-02-2013, 22:02   #82

Quote:
I pretend nothing, I cross oceans in my small boat. I do that with the use of what ever information and knowledge is available to me, I would be amiss if I did not. Captain Cook one of the greatest sailors ever did just that he used what ever was available. If you feel I and those like me are pretenders then I feel sorry for you as you may never leave your little pond. Just saying.

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 02:33   #83
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
That one being such a "neccessity" in the US has always kinda puzzled (and amused?!) me....probably not helped by having no similar service over here - therefore forcing us to not run aground so much, and when we do to sort it out for selves. of course having most of the stuff we can run into made of granite does also make folk a bit more cautious.

In regard to the USCG hauling ass out of the fire - almost seems like folks in the US should have a formal qualification in being rescued (ASA911? ) such is the apparent expectation and regard to it being a "normal" event. Almost .

Reference to the Polynesians being such great sailors also makes me smile - My bet is that "our" survivial rates for journeys (especially the long ones) are wayyy better (my clue is that they were sailing in difficult waters, making perilous long distance journies in craft most would nowadays hesitate to take out of a well sheltered bay - I don't see the basic challenges of all that have changed much over time). But of course those rates can't be proved as no records were kept of either successful or failed journeys.....or succesful journies that simply ended up elsewhere from where intended .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 03:00   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote: "Will the Real Sailor Please Stand Up"

I am still sitting despite several years at sea (or maybe it's because I am just too entrenched in this relaxed cruising lifestyle to bother responding to requests like that).

Who wants to be labelled and particularly with a pompous title like that LOL!
Old 14-02-2013, 03:19   #85
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Can't remember if it has been already mentioned - and I ain't gunna re-read the whole thread again but

Real sailors sit

and if that is unclear, you ain't a cruising sailboat sailor
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 03:45   #86
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Can't remember if it has been already mentioned - and I ain't gunna re-read the whole thread again but

Real sailors sit
and if that is unclear, you ain't a cruising sailboat sailor
Perfect Wotname…! …. Isn’t that also why we call a boat a ‘She’?
Old 14-02-2013, 03:56   #87
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Perfect Wotname…! …. Isn’t that also why we call a boat a ‘She’?
But that only a cultural thing - in some places boats are a he! (I can't remember which ones though, and too lazy to Google ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 04:03   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But that only a cultural thing - in some places boats are a he! (I can't remember which ones though, and too lazy to Google ).
France
And very appropriately I am sitting on a French built boat LOL.
Old 15-02-2013, 07:12   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I would guess there's not alot of people here who care for The Real Slim Shady. If your into humorus offensive non gangster white rap I would highly recommend eminems early work. If I was given the choice to either throw eminem off the planet or get rid of all gemini cats, I gotta say the gemini's would go. The slim shady EP is a must have for real sailors.
Ok, I get this slim shady thing which triggered some of your memories and compared it to my title here "Will the real sailor please stand up." But I have news for you.

Prior to your punk butts listening to Eminen garbage and above, there was a program on television called "TO TELL THE TRUTH". Of course, I don't expect you to know anything about this program if you were born say after 1970 or so. Basically, there would be three people that came on the show, and you had to ask a series of questions to the individuals to weed out who was who. At the end, they would say....."WILL THE REAL JOE SMCUCKATELY, JOHN DOE or MARY JANE please stand up???"
To Tell the Truth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15-02-2013, 07:19   #90

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Will the Real Sailor Please Stand Up

Punk butts? I like M&Ms!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: