Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 11:09   #46

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Will Someone Talk Me Out Of This Refit Plan Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
Try something in teh middle - e.g. Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34 - I really love it...
Well it's quite different from the classic Contessa but the 1990 one currently advertised on Yachtworld (looks pretty awesome) is asking $53k: that's EXACTLY 40k in the UK ... find one locally at that price and you'd still have the Contessa left over to donate to a worthy cause.

Seems silly not to at least check the market before spending that amount on a refit.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:25   #47

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

But I believe the OP isn't looking for another boat, just the reassurance that spending 40K on the refit isn't insanity. It's not. He's had the boat for 16 years, so I'd assume he's pretty happy with it. The refit investment doesn't make financial "sense," but it doesn't have to. Also, it's spread out over a long period of ownership (and pleasure).

To the OP:

However, I do think that some of the things on the list could be done yourself for much cheaper (assuming you are so inclined). If time is the issue, and not money, then it makes sense to send the boat to a good yard and have it all done by professionals. Once the refit is done you'll have many years of sailing and pleasure in enjoying a beautiful boat in top condition. Can one put a price on that?
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 12:28   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
But I believe the OP isn't looking for another boat, just the reassurance that spending 40K on the refit isn't insanity. It's not. He's had the boat for 16 years, so I'd assume he's pretty happy with it. The refit investment doesn't make financial "sense," but it doesn't have to. Also, it's spread out over a long period of ownership (and pleasure).

To the OP:

However, I do think that some of the things on the list could be done yourself for much cheaper (assuming you are so inclined). If time is the issue, and not money, then it makes sense to send the boat to a good yard and have it all done by professionals. Once the refit is done you'll have many years of sailing and pleasure in enjoying a beautiful boat in top condition. Can one put a price on that?
An excellent reply to the OP.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 20:44   #49

A boat nowadays is a piece of plastic (leaving aside the few timber boats built a century ago, some admittedly much deserving of mega-dollar restorations).

If it were a car, we'd better understand the financial side: few owners of a 20k car would spend 40k restoring it to a condition where it is still worth only 20-40k. We'd sell it to someone with the time and skills to repair it himself and buy a newer model. Not all younger boats are crappy - some are quite good.

I'm trying to do what the OP asked - talk him, logically, out of his 40k refit plan. It makes no sense to me, not for a piece of plastic that someone else could put to better use. If he didn't want a more logical, objective, rational viewpoint then he should not have asked. If he wants reassurance that his illogical attachment to an admittedly very pretty piece of plastic justifies spending more than its eventual value, then he won't get it from me. Boats are only of value in allowing us to achieve what we can't do without them - they are not people, not even animals, deserving of our respect when old and decrepit.

Or if we want to be illogical, then don't assess other options first - just go right ahead - and don't ask for someone to talk you out of it!
Old 16-10-2017, 23:36   #50

Boat: Contessa 32

I plan to sail her to the original builders (Jeremy Rogers) who will carry out the re-fit. They re-fit old Contessas all the time and do an excellent job - at a price. The advantage is that I lose no sailing time at all because they will complete the refit for the Spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Also figure in your time lost from sailing during refit over sailing tomorrow on another better boat. At least look at other boats first.
Raylden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 23:49   #51

Boat: Contessa 32

some really useful suggestions from so many people - thanks to everyone. I suppose, when it comes down to it, spending money on a boat is bonkers at the start and all the way to the end. So the question really is:

Is this the best way to waste 40k? Are there more enjoyable ways to waste 40k?

I have taken your advice and have looked at some boats yesterday. Nothing that would stir me - yet. The yard are re-jigging their quote with some items removed and other new ones put on, with the focus on quality of life over appearance. (new galley with fridge over deck re-spray). And I'm still looking around. I don't want to go bigger - the Contessa is fine, she's small and fast and I can handle her alone with ease for when my partner can't come. But I don't want a bolt-on keel and spade rudder - which limits my choice. I want strong, slim, beautiful, fast and a real sea-boat.
Raylden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 00:04   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for letting us know your decision. I hope the work goes well, and that you are very pleased.

Ann
Old 17-10-2017, 05:56   #53

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevisDog View Post
Well it's quite different from the classic Contessa but the 1990 one currently advertised on Yachtworld (looks pretty awesome) is asking $53k: that's EXACTLY 40k in the UK ... find one locally at that price and you'd still have the Contessa left over to donate to a worthy cause.

Seems silly not to at least check the market before spending that amount on a refit.

Look more you shoudl be able to find a almost perfect example with all normal extras between 35 and 45K EUR ( ot £)

under 30K with little bit of DYI on teh uphostry, etc.

I managed to get my one for 35K EUR 4 years ago from Spain/Alicante and added a lot of things to it , but this si just me and made from it a dream boat The setup with 2 cabins and two heads is amazing - sailing performance is like JOD35 e.g. 4kts in 6kts wind around the world sailing class , everything in this boat is like my dreams getting true the designer has done amazing job enoumouse boat for 34 footer, just under 10m (9.98) e.g. very cheap mooring

list of what I have on mine at the moment -i'm London based but I keep the boat in south of /fance found a marina all inclusive - for 2500EUR p.a.

---------------------------
---- boat : Jeanneau Sub Liberty 34 - 1990 - 10.30mx3.5m - draft 1.9m

Generics:
- Fully batten Tri-Radial carbon/kevlar mesh reinforced sails
- Spinnaker & Spinnaker/Whisker pole and all rigging
- Jib Sleeve ( on top of sun protective stripe for the time when away)
- Rock-solid horizontal windlass, Kobra 2 - 14kg anchor with 60m chain and 40m wrap ( 2015), remote in the cockpit + markers every 10 meters
- Second (kedge) danforth anchor 7kg and 60m wraps ( 2014 )
- Bow thruster MaxPower ( 2014 )
- Bedding/Sheets etc. special to fit exactly ( 2015 )
- Folding propeller - 17x13 - great while sailing(no resistanle) and doing near 8kt on engine ( 2015 )
- Second reserved folding propeller 15x11 ( fully serviced/refurbished 2015)
- Fender 6 and one ball + fender socks
- Inflatable life jackets - 4 standard adult manual, 1 extra large auto adult, 1 child life jacket auto - all witch croachstraps ( 2014 )
- Stay a float emergency gel & set of taps
- Offshore Flare Pack
- 6 men offshore ISO liferaft - Next Servicing DEC/2018
- Harneses x 5
- Jack/safety lines bow to stern ( 2014 )
- 5L petrol can for the outboard
- 20L disel can for emergency for the engine
- Tools - about £5K+ in total including electric drills, saws etc. - all that you can imagine and you may need for servicing the boat from top quality! ( 2014 - 2015)
- Spares for all pipe repalted jobs - hose hot 30m roll, cold - 30m roll, all type of taps, valves and jubilee clips, extensions, fittings, strainers etc. ( 2014-2015 )
- Spares for all electric related jobs - clamps, cables of any type :220v; 12v; 10amp; 15amp, bulbs, connectors, fuses, adapters, measuring tools, boxes etc. ( 2014-2015)
- Emergency gel coat and fiber glass repear kits, marine sikaflex etc. ( 2014 )
- Spares for all engine related jobs, impellers, cables, fuses, pipes, oil, filters etc. ( 2014 - 2015)
- Weather station with temp in/out, atm. pressior, moister meter, sun rise/set etc. ( 2015 )
- Top of the line proffessional fishing rod with all bites and tools and holder at the cockpit ( 2015 )
- Set of courtesy and hi-quality ensign with wooden pole ( 2014 )
- All paper charts for the mediteranian and pilot books for All med Spain , France, Balearics and Corsica, Italy, Greece - all up-to-date ( 2014 - 2017)
- 12v/LiIon Battery hi-power wacum machine Dyson ( 2016 )
- Rechargable light for use in the cokpit in the evenings ( 2014 )
- Diving LED Li-ion rechargable torch 2000lm ( 2015 )
- Flat LED torch ( 2013 )
- Binoculars x 2 ( 1 x 2015 )
- Monocular ( 2015 )
- |Distance measuring tool ( optical) when you want to know how far you are from a rock or shore when at anchor
- Hand compas ( 2013 )
- 4x winch handles
- All kicthern stuff extremly well kept original Jeanneau
- Emergecy tiller ( 2015 )

Extra/Comfort Add-ins:
- All saloon cushions from cream eco-leather water resistant ( 2014 )
- Cream eco-leather water resistant with special extreme durable plastic base cockpit cushions ( 2014 )
- Watermaker/Desalinator 12v Katadyn 80E (12L per hour) ( 2014 )
- Watermaker electronic flow meter with LED display ( 2015 )
- Carbon water filter ( 2015 ) Whale
- UV - Water filter ( 2015 )
- Aircondition ( climatronic) - hot & cold - 8000BTU ( 2015 )
- 26" Full HD LED 12v smart TV/DVD/BlueRay with external 1TB HDD and Banten antenna ( 2014 )
- MyFi with extended antenna ( - wifi Internet on board ) ( 2014 )
- Sea water temperature meter with LCD display ( 2015 )
- Fridge thermostat with NTC temperature sensor - you will not have frozen food and you will still have ice for your whisky + 30% less consumption from your fridge ( 2015 )
- Small Bimini & additional sun shade removable covers
- Large Sprayhood ( 2015 )
- Passarelle
- Plastimo ultra light dingy 2.4M with slatted floor + inflatable floor on top + 2.3hp very quite and powerful 2T Ymaha outboard - starts from half turn! and dinghy cover . ( 2014 )
- Davits with rollers for the dinghy - can be kept on the davits together with the outboard !

Electronics Add-ins:
- NASA battery monitor ( 2014 )
- Vectron battery guard with alarm ( 2014 )
- Garmin GPSMap 560 at the helm with advance sonar and full medditerannien maps and attached to AIS ( 2014 )
- Top of the line EPRB with GPS ( 2015 ) - Expiry 2021
- SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Tracker/Messenger
- VHF ( Standard Horizon) with AIS and GPS and (RAM3)remote at the helm ( 2014 )
- AIS beacon/transponder battery powered(one charge 3 weeks) ( 2015 )
- Kenwood stereo with 5 CD changer
- 4 X USB hi-power (up to 4amps) charger points in every cabin and saloon for tablets phones etc. ( 2015 )
- 1x Bluetooth speaker to be installed with vacum cup anywhere in the cockpit

Electrics Add-ins:

- ALL LED lights - including navigation anchor, cabin, saloon etc. (2014)
- 240W Solar panels with MPPT controller ( 2014 )
- 120W Flexi panels on sprayhood (2017)
- 600W Wind turbine with MPPT controller and carbon fiber pole + stop switch and automatic fuse/breaker ( 2015 )
- 5 x house batteries VARTA LFD75 ( 2015 ) + 40ah LiFePo4
- 1 x 20AH Li -ion engine start battery ( 2015 )
- 6/12 amps charger ( switchable between 6amps and 12 amps)
- Trickle Charge 1.5amps ( 2015)
- Tubular heater 80W to be left ON during winter time. ( 2015 )
- Galvanic isolator ( 2015 )
- 50 amps engine alternator

Additional extras for nice life on board :

- DC-TO-DC Boost guarantied 14v/20amps no matter what is the voltage of the batteries connected to a car lighter socket for charging electronic
- Smart Invertor 3000W Pure Sine- 12v to 240v with remote, auto protection, breaker and fuse with atomatic switch from shorepower to invertor with hi-power relay ( 2015 )
- Bean-to-cup Jura Ena Micro Coffe machine (top of the line) - very electricity economical and doing the best esspesso/coffe in the world! ( 2015 )

---------------------------

Important specifics :

The boat is registered 9.98m hull length ( total length 10.30) which gives you a A LOT less unexpensive mooring option as you are treated as <10m craft !
The beam is 3.5m and the saloon is round with very at home feeling + the galley is a separate compartment on a side - e.g. no need someone to stand for people to go to the galley and check the oven
Huge/Enormous port locker with double bottom
Very fast hull design based on JOD35 - my current record is 10.4kts
Two cabin with en-suite bath/toilets layout both with king size beds - 170 x 190
--------------------------------------------------------

Standard equipment & description

- Specs
Builder: Jeanneau
Model: Sun Liberty 34
Keel: Fin
Flag of Registry: UK

- Dimensions
LOA: 10.31 m
Beam: 3.51 m
Maximum Draft: 1.91 m

- Engine
Engine Brand: Volvo Penta
Year Built: 1990
Engine Model: Volvo 2003
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 1800
Propeller: 2 blade folding propeller
Drive Type: Shaft Drive
Engine Power: 28 HP

- Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks (2): (Total 260 Litres)
Fuel Tanks: (100 Litres)

- Accommodation
Number of single berths: 2
Number of double berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of bathrooms: 2
Convertible Saloon

- Electronics
Wind speed and direction
Log-speedometer
Depthsounder
Autopilot
Compass

- Electrical Equipment
Shore power inlet

- Sails
Spinnaker
Furling genoa
Fully Battened mainsail

- Inside Equipment
Hot & Cold water -23l hot water from engine and shore power
Refrigerator with ice maker
Battery charger + trickle charger

- Outside Equipment/Extras
Teak cockpit
Horseshoe & life buy with light - li-ion battery
Liferaft
Cockpit shower
Bow shower
Electric windlass
Steering wheel
Raymarine autopilot
Swimming ladder
Radar reflector

- Covers
Spayhood
Bimini
Helm cover
Lazy bag
Lazyjacks
Jackstays

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 08:20   #54

Boat: Scout 30

Think of it this way, you're not spending the money on a boat, you're spending it on yourself. I guess the real question is do YOU think you are you worth it?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 09:14   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylden View Post
... But I don't want a bolt-on keel and spade rudder - which limits my choice. I want strong, slim, beautiful, fast and a real sea-boat.
That certainly narrows your choice - a fast boat, small enough to sail alone, but with cruising fin and skeg, a real sea-boat? Ummm... a Contessa!

Okay, you got me beat, so long as you looked I'm happy.
Old 17-10-2017, 09:55   #56

Try googling a thread "modern equivalent of Contessa 32" - most suggestions there involve a bolt-on keel (eg Sadler 32, 34, from same designer) but the Centurion 32 from Wauquiez (another great builder) seems to match your requirements - 380 built, more roomy (those French sure are clever), a bit drier than the Contessa maybe? The other one mentioned was very high on my list - the Nic 31, if you don't mind long keels? Yep, most others have bolt-on keels nowadays.
Old 17-10-2017, 11:39   #57

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

I once read that the most important aspect of a boat is love. The boat you love is one that you have come to know through years of crawling around the nooks and crannies, finding the groove on a broad reach, struggling through the good and the bad. You know how hard to push her, what each creak in the night is telling you. You are lucky to have found a boat you love. Don't doubt yourself. Put everything you can into her -- sweat, tears and money. Just make sure you have money left over so that you can spend the time sailing her.

Tags
lease, refit