Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2013, 12:19   #1

Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Don't know how many here are watching the races live but it's been more enjoyable than I expected. Oracle has done what no one expected, coming back 8-6 after being down 8-1. And the Kiwis have done what no one expected. Failed to get that final win by now.

I'd love to see it get to 8-8. And I'd love to see the final race on the same day Australia II broke the longest win streak in sports history on 9/26/83, 30 years ago. But that would mean no more than one race per remaining day or one day both races are cancelled.

So how much longer will this series go?
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 14:44   #2

Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

OMG! 8-8!
Old 24-09-2013, 14:46   #3

Boat: Trismus 37

They are ALIVE and must now be race favourites! What a come back!!
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 16:11   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Has ORACLE been "sandbagging" to keep up the tension? We've got anglers and monohull racers at my yacht club glued to the tube. Not even Dennis was able to pull that off. Look out NASCAR!
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 16:39   #5

Boat: 34 Irwin
There will be blood in the water tomorrow ! No matter who wins GREAT racing! I will be glued to my TV!
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 16:42   #6

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Don't know how many here are watching the races live but it's been more enjoyable than I expected. Oracle has done what no one expected, coming back 8-6 after being down 8-1. And the Kiwis have done what no one expected. Failed to get that final win by now.

I'd love to see it get to 8-8. And I'd love to see the final race on the same day Australia II broke the longest win streak in sports history on 9/26/83, 30 years ago. But that would mean no more than one race per remaining day or one day both races are cancelled.

So how much longer will this series go?
Don't know, but I wish I could see it.
I only watched part of race 1 and all race 2 (or maybe it was 3&4) on a local teevee channel. Now it's all wall to wall golf and football, jeesh. Doesn't look like there will be any more Americas Cup coverage at all here (and I only get OTA broadcast out in the boonies).

It's more than enjoyable, it makes the hair on your neck stand up. It's vicarious as all he!! because of 'BTDT (cubed)', as a former Hobie Cat racer.
The flying hull views, and the sounds and vibrations of the rudders/foils slicing through the water, just bring it back. No way a Hobie class cat comes close to an AC-72 in sheer scale, but the sensations sure seem similar, compared to monohulls of course. I want a ride on one of those before I croak, dang nab it.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 16:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha ann View Post
There will be blood in the water tomorrow ! No matter who wins GREAT racing! I will be glued to my TV!

Old 24-09-2013, 16:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
I only watched part of race 1 and all race 2 (or maybe it was 3&4) on a local teevee channel. Now it's all wall to wall golf and football, jeesh. Doesn't look like there will be any more Americas Cup coverage at all here (and I only get OTA broadcast out in the boonies).

It's more than enjoyable, it makes the hair on your neck stand up. It's vicarious as all he!! because of 'BTDT (cubed)', as a former Hobie Cat racer.
The flying hull views, and the sounds and vibrations of the rudders/foils slicing through the water, just bring it back. No way a Hobie class cat comes close to an AC-72 in sheer scale, but the sensations sure seem similar, compared to monohulls of course. I want a ride on one of those before I croak, dang nab it.
There's another thread here about not being able to see AC coverage. One of the members here tells how to watch it live on YouTube.
Old 24-09-2013, 16:57   #9

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

It streams live on the AC Youtube channel.

-Sven
Old 24-09-2013, 17:02   #10

Boat: 34 Irwin
+1 Julie mor
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 17:10   #11

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Seems really odd to have the "leward boat" rule without something like the "mast abeam" exception that at least used to be in the dinghy racing rule book. As New Zealand almost showed Oracle (back) the windward boat can't evade a hit from a leward boat when the leward boat's pivot point is that much further astern than the windward boat's.

-Sven
Old 24-09-2013, 17:19   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

Great racing, but who ever wins, remember both boats were built in New Zealand, both have Kiwi's heading the team. So this has truly been a show case for the little country down below.

We're watching it live each morning on TV since we are currently living in NZ. Glued to the TV, even though classic boat racing and cruising are the games we've always played.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 17:20   #13

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
There's another thread here about not being able to see AC coverage. One of the members here tells how to watch it live on YouTube.
Thanks Julie (and Sven), but I don't do UTube (because of 'Flash') and my wireless 'highspeed innertoobz' (bwahahaha) would surely choke anyway ; and it would be frustrating to see on my little smartphone screen.
I'll look for the DVD later, heh.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 18:09   #14

Boat: Lock Crowthers, Buccaneer, B26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post

The best way is the FREE America's Cup APP! I have it on my Nexus7 and iPhone. It has live coverage and you can replay past races, also other toys within.

B26
B26Trimaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 19:00   #15

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I'm hooked