Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 08:16   #31
Registered User
 
bbowers2004's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bahmamas
Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Posts: 298
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Good show by both squads
__________________

__________________
"My goal in sailing isn't to be brilliant or flashy in individual races, just to be consistent over the long run." - Dennis Conner
Follow our Globe Circumnavigation:
http://jillionsvoyage.blogspot.de/
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 08:26   #32
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,469
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
Good show by both squads
Exactly, and you have to be impressed with how Dean Barker is handling a very tough situation.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/america...es-Dean-Barker
__________________

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 09:58   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: still in a roll of fiberglass around Cape Town
Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Posts: 1,202
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Seems really odd to have the "leward boat" rule without something like the "mast abeam" exception that at least used to be in the dinghy racing rule book. As New Zealand almost showed Oracle (back) the windward boat can't evade a hit from a leward boat when the leward boat's pivot point is that much further astern than the windward boat's.
-Sven
Th old "mast abeam" limit went away when they overhauled the rules in 1997.

In my understanding the situation where "the windward boat can't evade a hit from a leeward boat" is covered by the new requirement that the Leeward boat has to give the other boat "room to keep clear". Also note that note there is no "sharp luff" allowed and no more "luff as she pleases".

Therefore if Leeward complies with the rules there will only be a collision if Windward does not "act promptly in a seamanlike way". Granted, now the limit is one of seamanship (less objective) instead of geometry (more objective?).

Cheers

C
__________________
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:02   #34
Registered User
 
woff's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York/ London
Boat: Targa 96
Posts: 51
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

The difference was clearly the arrival of Ben Ainsley, what a difference a brit makes!
To quote my old Kiwi mate Russell Poulston,
"Americas Cup ... ??? What's that?
Bloody Team NZ. Really cocked this one up.
Hate to say it, but Oracle deserve to win.
Interesting part is that if the Kiwis win the last race, they will still most likely lose in the Courts.
To win the cup, it is the first to win 9 races and Oracle have already done that. Just so happens they are behind because they cheated and started down 2 races.
If it goes to the US Supreme Court, Oracle will win. It is a US court ....
Mind you, they deserve it anyway."
__________________
woff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:07   #35
Registered User
 
SvenG's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mexico heading South
Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Posts: 1,169
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Th old "mast abeam" limit went away when they overhauled the rules in 1997.

In my understanding the situation where "the windward boat can't evade a hit from a leeward boat" is covered by the new requirement that the Leeward boat has to give the other boat "room to keep clear". Also note that note there is no "sharp luff" allowed and no more "luff as she pleases".

Therefore if Leeward complies with the rules there will only be a collision if Windward does not "act promptly in a seamanlike way". Granted, now the limit is one of seamanship (less objective) instead of geometry (more objective?).
Thanks. I went and looked it up and agree with you.

I do think the new rule is a step in the wrong direction as it actually encourages boat contact as we saw when NZ tried to do the same thing back to the US boat in the last race.



-Sven
__________________
Senta II - http://www.Grenander.com/Senta_II/Blog/Blog.html
1977 Ericson 39B -- Hull # 216
SvenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:24   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cruising NC, FL, Bahamas, TCI & VIs
Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Posts: 1,531
Thumbs up Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
Good show by both squads
absolutely!
__________________
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:42   #37
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,469
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woff View Post
The difference was clearly the arrival of Ben Ainsley, what a difference a brit makes!
To quote my old Kiwi mate Russell Poulston,
"Americas Cup ... ??? What's that?
Bloody Team NZ. Really cocked this one up.
Hate to say it, but Oracle deserve to win.
Interesting part is that if the Kiwis win the last race, they will still most likely lose in the Courts.
To win the cup, it is the first to win 9 races and Oracle have already done that. Just so happens they are behind because they cheated and started down 2 races.
If it goes to the US Supreme Court, Oracle will win. It is a US court ....
Mind you, they deserve it anyway."
I believe they lost the first couple races after Ainslie became part of the afterguard. He has definitely helped though (along with Tom Slingsby) and that extra gear Team Oracle found.

It always helps to have an extremely fast boat.
__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:44   #38
Registered User
 
Julie Mor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 401
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Thirty years ago, when Dennis Connor skippered Liberty and lost the Cup after having a 3-1 edge in the best of 7 series, he was flogged and keel-hauled endlessly for having blown such a commanding lead and breaking the longest win streak in sports history. Even today, there are still people who can't find a nice thing to say about him.

Let's hope neither skipper and crew gets that kind of treatment, however the final race goes.
__________________
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 10:51   #39
Registered User
 
thomm225's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hampton Roads
Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Posts: 3,469
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
Thirty years ago, when Dennis Connor skippered Liberty and lost the Cup after having a 3-1 edge in the best of 7 series, he was flogged and keel-hauled endlessly for having blown such a commanding lead and breaking the longest win streak in sports history. Even today, there are still people who can't find a nice thing to say about him.

Let's hope neither skipper and crew gets that kind of treatment, however the final race goes.
I wonder why people would still have bad things to say about Big Dennis? He/They lost the Cup in 1983, but came back to reclaim it in 1987 beating Australia 4 to 0.

Also, in 1983, The Australians were still learning how to sail their new fangled wing keeled boat. Liberty was a much slower boat. Big Dennis was getting leads through better tactics and mistakes by the Australians, but the Australians started really getting really fast at the right time.

On the last race when the Australians came from behind to win, they were sailing lower and faster than the Americans on Liberty.

In case anyone is interested, here's the full story of the 1983 America's Cup:

__________________
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 11:40   #40
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
You guys are absolutely right!
New Zealanders should be very proud who ever wins the cup.
So I will be first to say it....CONGRATULATIONS NEW ZEALAND!!!!!
If the americans do win with only one american on board, then have they really won or was it just american money that won?
I can't imagine the pride and sense of accomplishment every New Zealander is feeling today.
No, it doesn't take away from the joy. At least for me it doesn't, America is made up of the nations of the world, kinda cool. At work during lunch, I sat down with folks from the Philippines, India, England, Pakistan, Egypt,We would share our meals, loved trying new things. People from other places can bring the best of their culture and ethics. Gotta say it again, kinda cool! But I know what you mean, New Zealand rocks, who could begrudge them anything

I have no TV and my internet is patchy, Can y'all give updates as they come?
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 11:43   #41
Senior Cruiser
 
Ocean Girl's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In transit ( Texas to wherever the wind blows us)
Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Posts: 4,115
Images: 2
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

My husband just announce we are heading for the sports bar to watch the final race , cannot miss this one.
Cheers, go team USA
__________________
Mrs. Rain Dog~Ocean Girl
https://raindogps34.wordpress.com
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:21   #42
Registered User
 
caradow's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Connecticut/Caribbean
Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version
Posts: 472
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Hey Ocean Girl sounds like you work at the UN :-)

But please don't confuse ethnicity with nationalism.
I am all for having a diverse america, but how many of the crew on the american boat do you think has at least a green card?
I do think Ellison's idea with the AC-45's will eventually put american's (whatever the ethnicity) eventually back into racing american boats.
Again Kiwi's have a lot to be proud of whoever wins!
__________________
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:40   #43
Registered User
 
bbowers2004's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bahmamas
Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Posts: 298
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
My husband just announce we are heading for the sports bar to watch the final race , cannot miss this one.
Cheers, go team USA
Sounds good. I think I'm goon a stream it
__________________
"My goal in sailing isn't to be brilliant or flashy in individual races, just to be consistent over the long run." - Dennis Conner
Follow our Globe Circumnavigation:
http://jillionsvoyage.blogspot.de/
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:50   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 959
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

I received a text that 18-25 kts are forecast for start time. This has been a real nail biter.
__________________
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 13:13   #45
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,884
Images: 4
Re: Will Oracle Remain Alive or Will It End Today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I received a text that 18-25 kts are forecast for start time. This has been a real nail biter.
Here's a link to the current GG Bridge wind speed, as well as the forecast.
__________________

__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.