Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2010, 15:25   #16

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
You don't mention if she gets motion sickness in other situations. If not I suspect that a lot of her illness is really an expression of fear. Get her used to sailing a little at a time in situations that will not frighten her. Sailing in a dinghy or other small vessel at first may also help. Of course, keep her above decks when she goes sailing for the first few times.

If all else fails just remember that Admiral Nelson was always disablingly ill for the first two weeks of any voyage - but somehow he managed!
Rou-Coo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 15:37   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I get seasick and sail Florida and the Bahamas. I've had the best luck with Stugeron and Meclazine.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 15:43   #18

She gets seasick on the ferry crossing between Galveston and Boliver, cannot ride in the backseat of a car, actually got seasick snorkeling and had to get back in the boat because she was less seasick there.
Old 15-10-2010, 16:38   #19

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
As mentioned above, it helps if you spend some days aboard, preferably in a slightly rolly anchorage before you go out.
I have also heard that sleeping an un-baffled waterbed at home will help prepare you but do not know how well that works.
Regards, Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 17:52   #20

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
I have also heard that sleeping an un-baffled waterbed at home will help prepare
I imagine that's true. Have you ever had a few too many beers and then slept on a water bed? Talk about sea sickness.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 19:40   #21

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Jamie, the best way for her to combat seasickness is to take the helm.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 04:22   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
multihull, multihull ...
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 05:52   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Jamie, the best way for her to combat seasickness is to take the helm.
I agree.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 12:17   #24

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecrab
She gets seasick on the ferry crossing between Galveston and Boliver, cannot ride in the backseat of a car, actually got seasick snorkeling and had to get back in the boat because she was less seasick there.
My father used to claim that my mother would get seasick by walking over wet grass!
Old 16-03-2011, 13:16   #25

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Re: Wife and Seasickness

Ginger trips (chewable) from a health food store work great for my wife. No side effects either.
Old 16-03-2011, 13:26   #26

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

NASA, which has done significant research on motion sickness has come up with a treatment using oral scopolamine and dexedrine that is the only known treatment which will actually cure an extremely sea sick person while underway. I have the article somewhere and will try to find the reference.

This treatment would be handy if the sick person is becoming dangerously dehydrated. Or for that matter didn't feel like being sick for awhile.

A reference
http://www.practical-sailor.com/lett...avigation.html
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 14:19   #27

Boat: Ocean Alexander

Awhile back I read (I think on this forum) a post by an anesthesiologist stating that taking pseudoephedrine (cold medicine) with a low dose amphetamine (ritalyn etc.)would cure even well developed seasickness. Obviously medical consultation would be required for this. This winter we spent several weeks sailing in the BVI. One of the crew members was extremely prone to seasickness. He had one of those electrified wrist bands that would dispense a variable current. He said it worked like a charm. A couple of the others tried it out of curiousity, and found the electricity going into their wrist - well "shocking". I didn't try it, but wondered if the pulsing shock didn't simply serve as a distraction to his discomfort He was actually very surprised at how well he did and is anxious to come again. - I guess whatever works
Alaska JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011, 23:09   #28

Pretty old thread here but here's my $2 worth (inflation from 2cents worth)
I spent three years on the Atlantic and Mediteranian sea, never got seasick but lots of folks did.
I would do the following.
Eat lightly, drinkly lightly, keep hydrated but don't go overboard (ooops didn't mean that) with too much drink.
I would NOT GO INSIDE AND LIE DOWN wrong answer, as this only induces more rock n roll and more sickness. Get outside and look off at a distance, not down or at the water close by.
We did have to send our helicopter over to one of our guard destroyers on one storm to "rescue" one guy and bring him over to our medical department as he was dehydrated so as to be life threatening.
I always enjoyed the rought even the hurricanes as this was some great sleeping for me but I know some who really suffered.
Some would get quesy before a cruise. One day we were getting ready to pull out to go to the Med from Norfolk Va and there was a storm offshore. Well, the ship (an aircraft carrier, USS AMERICA) began rocking AT THE PIER.......so we all looked at each other like we were in for a real blow. This was my first ocean crossing. But, it wasn't bad at all. We would hang a swab (mop) in the center of our shop so it would swing all around to see who had to leave us........ The mop buckets with wheels would roll back n forth on deck too. As I said I never got seasick although when you are in a real storm (hurricane or close to one) and there are maybe 1200 or so guys heaving it does get a bit disturbing We did get in a storm in the MED maybe '67 for about 5 to 6 days and we had 70 foot swells believe it or not Never would beleive it if I didn't see it myself. Pretty rough going with everything tied down until after it was over.
Believe it or not, as were approaching our tankers for refueling at sea, we could feel the ship rise slightly as we crossed their wake !!!!!!! this during a calm sea. Didn't think you could feel something like that aboard an 1100 foot aircraft carrier. Also with a calm sea we could see our wake on our radars for miles. Followed by a giant V for miles.
Had a great three years and now wish I had stayed longer. Surely miss the sea and the comaraderie that you never see in the civilian world.
Short thought..........I WOULD NEVER GO BELOW AND LIE DOWN IF FEELING BADLY. Focus your eyes on distand horizon, plenty of fresh air and don't dwell on feeling sick. Never knew the drugs to help unless they put someone to sleep. Wash your face with cold water often and hang on til the blow is over.

The bottom line is DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:43   #29

Boat: jeanneau Gin Fizz-38'

I never get seasick, on deck, I,m the one who has to cook cause the others can,t go below. I took my young daughter on a ride out on the seaside pier, name escapes me, goes around,up and down seats spin, maybe the Himilaya, got sick as a dog for 2 plus hours. Boats no problem, merry go round I,m sick as hell. Go figure...Red
redhead78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:29   #30

I have always had seasickness, I felt ill just sitting on a boat in the marina whilst buying it!

I tried everything to get rid of it, ginger, electric wrist bands, eyes on the horizon - the lot. Someone suggested taking the tabs which I did, there are about 4 different types of drugs in use but I use 'Sea Legs', they have been off the market for a while but they are now being sold again. Result - I cannot even manage to make myself feel ill whilst using these tabs! - they really really work and no sign of drousiness.

Regards
Paul
PaulHBaker is offline   Reply With Quote