Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 00:39   #1

Wide Bay Bar: Waypoints and Navionics errors

Preparing for a September trip north and across the Wide Bay bar, I was obtaining updated waypoint information:
https://publications.qld.gov.au/storage/f/2015-01...523Z/013.pdf

I then noticed that my recently updated Navionics Gold charts actually show lights located at the new waypoint locations. There is no mention of this in the notice to mariners.

Curiously, Navionics on my iPad and iPhone, both with updated charts still show the old track and the old waypoints although a community edit shows WPt B in the correct position and the edit included a light with a 3 second period.

So has anyone been across lately and can they provide a personal update on the status of lights or bouys at the Wpts. They were never there n the past!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:07   #2

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Re: Wide Bay Bar: Waypoints and Navionics errors

My Navionics on IPad ,Raymarine and Max Sea electronic charts show those lights also and have done for at least a few years.
However I cannot ever remember any other than the land based leed lights and as of 6 weeks ago when we crossed using the locally supplied by VMR waypoints going north nothing was there .
I got a no page found from your link.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:30   #3

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

2Wind always call Wide Bay VMR before crossing the will give you update and any changes great guys and girls very helpful Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:31   #4

Contact the Tin Can Bay VMR, they will send you the correct waypoints. I crossed in early May.
They did mention passing 100m north of waypoint B , however this may have changed , so always best to get the info direct from them . You can actually see the waves and pick your route. Especially once you start your crossing from a to b , it seems to become clear .

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:51   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I got a no page found from your link.
Chris
That's because Maritime Safety Qld doesn't allow permanent URLs to its Notices to Mariners.

For the NTM to which 2Wind was referring:

1. point your browser to: https://publications.qld.gov.au/en/d...c-4ffea47fde52 and then
2. Click the green Download button (which takes you the pdf location which 2Wind referenced)

And as others noted earlier, MSQ created a problem this year (2015) by giving the wrong position for Waypoint B. MSQ, for whatever reason, did not re-issue the NtM. So Tin Can Bay VMR, which is not allowed to do otherwise than parrot the NtM, has to 'recommend' passing 100 m north of Waypoint B.

Al
Old 05-07-2015, 05:30   #6

Thanks for the information.

Last Septmber, I crossed outbound heading south at night in fairly calm conditions, retracing my inbound track and saw no lights. So it looks like the charts are in error. As suggested, I'll call VMR Tin Can Bay to clarify the WPs. I do recall hearing the same story as Al reports above, last year. And still MSQ has done nothing to correct the error!
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:42   #7

For the record.....Notice to Mariners

Department of Transport and Main Roads - Maritime Safety Queensland
NOTICE TO
MARINERS
013 of 2015
Issued by Gladstone Maritime Region on 13 January 2015
Area: Capricorn Coast
Locality: Wide bay bar
Activity: waypoints established and change to leading lights
Mariners are advised that the line of the white sector light for the Hook Point Light has been moved
and is now on a true bearing of 279.5 degrees. The characteristics of the light at Hook Point have
been altered so that the daylight is now Fixed and the characteristics are Fl WRG 3 secs (F Day).
Mariners are also advised that the following waypoints have been established in the following
approximate co-ordinates and as shown on the attached chartlet:
Waypoint A - latitude 25° 47.58' S, longitude 153° 08.14' E to bring your vessel onto the line of the
Hook Point White Sector in water greater than 10 metres in depth.
Waypoint B - latitude 25° 47.34' S, longitude 153° 06.68' E at the intersection of the Hook Point White
sector and the line of bearing of the Inskip Point leading marks.
Mariners must remain mindful that coastal bars are dynamic in nature with conditions constantly
changing. Mariners must plan their crossing of the Wide Bay Bar, having careful consideration
to prevailing conditions, the state of the tide, and the draught of their vessels. The coastal bar
must be navigated with extreme caution.
Mariners are reminded that the Wide Bay Bar is defined as a coastal bar. This means that each
person on board an open boat less than 4.8 metres in length must now wear an appropriate life
jacket of PFD while the boat is crossing the coastal bar
Refer to notice: 673 (T) and 699 (T) of 2014
Cancel notice: 673 (T) and 699 (T) of 2014
AUS charts affected: 240
Latitude and longitude positions are on WGS84 horizontal datum and are compatible with GDA94 datum.
For further information about this notice, please contact:
The Gladstone
Regional Harbour Master’s office:
Phone 07 4971 5200 Email: vtsgladstone@msq.qld.gov.au

Notice authorised by: Regional Harbour Master (Gladstone) - Maritime Safety Queensland
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:28   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Sounds much better than when I did Wide Bay Bar a few years ago and you had to line up an old refrigerator on the beach!!!

Tricky bar. And very, very long.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 12:15   #9

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

G'day2W, I crossed ,inbound 4weeks ago and will be outbound next Thursday.

The latest co-ordinates and info. from Tin Can Bay are spot on. Note - source info. in plenty of time to receive text from them. I estimate a bare minimum of 3m at LWS between A & B. Do favour the North side of B by about a cable , for good deep water there. There are no lights on WPTS or markers and C is no longer necessary. B to leads on Inskip being the best track thro' the " mad mile ". Cheers,
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 14:19   #10

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Sounds much better than when I did Wide Bay Bar a few years ago and you had to line up an old refrigerator on the beach!!!

Tricky bar. And very, very long.
Was there any beer left in the refrigerator?I did not see it there Aug 2010 so it must have been knocked off. It is terrible when aids to navigation go missing.
I had to rely on the Tin Can Bay Marine Rescue waypoints a much better option from very professional guys.
Michael
Old 05-07-2015, 14:53   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
G'day2W, I crossed ,inbound 4weeks ago and will be outbound next Thursday.

The latest co-ordinates and info. from Tin Can Bay are spot on. Note - source info. in plenty of time to receive text from them. I estimate a bare minimum of 3m at LWS between A & B. Do favour the North side of B by about a cable , for good deep water there. There are no lights on WPTS or markers and C is no longer necessary. B to leads on Inskip being the best track thro' the " mad mile ". Cheers,
Waypoint "B" is in the wrong position. It's on a sandbar. As you say, you need to stay north and west of "B".

TCB Coast guard will advise this.

The entire run seems shallower than it used to be. We came in on about a 1.5 metre swell, and surfed for just about the entire "A" to "B" run.

Got it over with nice and quick.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 16:40   #12

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop
pirate Re: Wide Bay Bar: Waypoints and Navionics errors

My good friend, who is an experienced sailer and has crosses the bar many times, came to grief recently.
On entering the Wide Bay Bar he was cought by a freak wave and pitch-poled his 10 m sloop.!!!
Beware the bar she rose!!
Way points?
Lights?
Local knowledge only folks. Much caution. Your risk.
Tulku Tim
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 17:02   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
Contact the Tin Can Bay VMR, they will send you the correct waypoints.

We crossed northbound about a month ago. It was (by far) our roughest (of say a dozen or so?) crossings, but the leads given by VMR (substantially unchanged from our last crossing, but definitely to be checked every time!) worked and we passed safely. There were no lights.

Every precaution (secure everything and wear lifejackets) is appropriate.

Safe sailing!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 00:22   #14

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Nice one ' Jim Cate '- after all , this is not The Pickering Post . Keep it clean Guys, factual and no ******** , Please !!
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 00:56   #15

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
at the moment we are sitting at Mooloolaba Marina for some R and R and a service on our motors and plan to cross the bar this Friday or Saturday taking into account the present weather and sea conditions. I contacted Tin Can Bay VMR today and they were only to happy to forward the new bar crossing co-ordinates. I won't repeat them here as they do change from time to time and hate to see someone use old information. It has changed from when we crossed last year from three waypoints to two. These mark the Sea entry point to the turn then to follow the leads into Inskip point. Have entered the co-ords into both chart plotters ready in advance and deleted old waypoints. Don't want to get mixed up with old co-ordinates.
Saturday is looking good for a north transit with 1.5 metres sea and 1.3 metre swell with a high tide at 5.10pm. Plan on leaving Mooloolaba around 5am which gives us a couple of hours grace for the bar crossing. Will let you know the results - or read about it in the paper .

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410 S2
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics