Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2016, 16:07   #16

Boat: Fusion 40
Re: Wide Bay Bar Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

If the wind is favourable, we'll usually have some headsail up on entry, as I feel it will help keep the bows in front of the sterns. Exiting, we'll usually have the main up too.

This is one of the few places I use 100% throttle, both engines. I don't see any point in hanging around here.
Interesting technique. I have only gone over bare poles but my feel is that it would be advantage to have the jib out for direction stability. The drawback I'd imagine is that if you did become unstuck you are then dealing with unruly sails that are driving you further into trouble.

Old 27-02-2016, 17:19   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

As previously mentioned my chart plotter always looses a fix or freezes at the first entrance waypoint. Something I am now prepared for. It's a C 90W.

Old 27-02-2016, 18:17   #18

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

my first incoming crossing was in 5m SE swell !.
I had no Navigation as per GPS etc.
it was on 2hrs before high tide which saved me.
It was late afternoon an I could only see spray. no leads, all fuzzed out by sun and spray.
The only way i could steer, having found the outer break, was to keep between the pipelining waves. The end of the first leg almost put me on the beach. I went back out enough to find the second leg behind the breakers heading south west.
26 ft eventide sloop. reefed sail. motor in gear.
Prayer.
Old 27-02-2016, 18:31   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australis View Post
As previously mentioned my chart plotter always looses a fix or freezes at the first entrance waypoint. Something I am now prepared for. It's a C 90W.
My cockpit Android tablet did the same last year in the same place!
But the backup Garmin 78 right beside it was still working
Old 27-02-2016, 18:31   #20

Boat: Island Packet 40

Crossed it twice a number of years ago, neither of which were very exciting compared to some of the crossings I made down in NSW. Both crossings at daylight, the north going after heaving-to from 0100 to 0430 to get light and good tidal conditions.

Learning to (and becoming accustomed to resting during) are a good practice for a single hander and since both the multihull crossings that came to grief on the WBB appear to have occurred in less than adequate light conditions may not be a bad practice for fully crewed vessels crossing bars.
Old 27-02-2016, 18:55   #21

Boat: Lightwave 45 under construction .Previous self built Roberts 36

thanks guys, what a relief for an intelligent discussion by folks who have actually done it. I have only crossed once in the 80's. as I recall hung out at Mooloolaba until conditions were ok, o/night sail and hove to outside for a couple of hours in the morning waiting for the tide.
Old 28-02-2016, 02:54   #22

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran

Amazing that others have suffered their chartplotter freezing at the outside waypoint. We met a number of other yachts last year who also had a problem there. Weird!

Also, for the person asking about the latest waypoints, ask Tin Can Bay Coast Guard as they change so quickly advice given by someone you crossed last week can be inaccurate today.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 04:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
WBB 239.pdf WBB info Sheet.pdf

But contact Tin Can Bay Coast Guard before crossing, they will give you the latest info.
The Coast Guard info sheet says entry and exit at night are NOT discouraged
Old 28-02-2016, 04:18   #24

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
I have been reading a thread on the Wide Bay Bar which has become unpleasant so have started this new thread. As a recent sailor I have been across the bar 3 times in good conditions and intend to go across regularly in the future. I'd be interested in hearing of the experiences of others in crossing the bar especially if things didn't go as per plan.
Scrubby
Having crossed the WBB a number of times in a 43ft mono the last two years my view is that planning is the key (unless you are an adrenaline junkie). Our intention has always been to cross in daylight, preferably before 3pm as the afternoon sun can make it difficult to see the second set of leads. Choosing the top third of a rising tide is preferable with swell less than 3m. On one trip North we experienced a very quick passage from Manly with 15kt-20kt SE rain squalls and waited under Double Island Pt until the conditions improved and the tide was right.
VMR Tin Can Bay is very helpful providing the respective waypoints and they also provide feedback from other vessels which have made the crossing earlier in the day.
While a chartplotter is very useful (but not always reliable) I always put trust in my eyeballs and a good pair of polarised sunnies.
Old 28-02-2016, 09:55   #25

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Bookmarked.Thnx to all those who post real world info on this thread.
Old 28-02-2016, 12:45   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
The Coast Guard info sheet says entry and exit at night are NOT discouraged
It does. Which surprises me. The fact is, the waypoints and leads are not always correct. It's a sandbar, it moves. For at least two years prior to the most recent change, they were clearly not in the right place.

If you just blindly follow the waypoints and leads (which by definition, is what you'd be doing if you enter or leave at night) you could easily run into trouble.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 18:06   #27

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
I have been reading a thread on the Wide Bay Bar which has become unpleasant so have started this new thread. As a recent sailor I have been across the bar 3 times in good conditions and intend to go across regularly in the future. I'd be interested in hearing of the experiences of others in crossing the bar especially if things didn't go as per plan.
Scrubby
Just an afterthought regarding crossing the WBB ... if you are heading south and encounter strong SE's or the tide isn't right, slip in to Garry's anchorage and drop a line or stretch your legs ashore. If there's the wind has a Northerly component we've found good holding along the drop off just south of Cooloolol Creek (southern end of Fraser). Avoid Pelican Bay (on the inside of Inskip Point) if you encounter Westerlies. In general we choose not to anchor there in any case because of the limited depth (we draw 2.1m) but it is no problem for multihulls.
Be aware of the significant tidal run (upwards of 4kts at times) as you can get into trouble very quickly if you're not careful.
Last point ... don't miss Hervey Bay (on the northern end of GSS) as it is one of the best cruising grounds I've encountered in my travels ... it has many bolt holes for most weather conditions, beautiful deserted beaches on the western side of Fraser. There's excellent provisioning at Urangan and I recommend taking the western channel if you don't know the area as there is a sandbar on the north western side of Big Woody that can be a problem for keelers if you traverse other than the top of the tide
NB I've experienced tidal flow of 5-6kts across the entrance to Urangan Harbour so be cautious on your approach mid tide.

Tags
enc

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: