Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 05:04   #31

Boat: Manta 42
We are spending hurricane season at a marina in Jacksonville, Florida and a group collects in the clubhouse each day of racing. We started the first race with a cocktail party and it has evolved into a regular thing. We are all just regular cruisers that love sailing.

Yesterday just like every other day of racing it was on the NBC Sports channel and during the commercials we followed the racing via the app. I think that NBC has put a lot into televising these races with unbelievable camera work and incredible graphics. Jobson has been explaining some of the finer points like right of way between races. This series and the coverage I believe will do a lot to bring younger folks into the sport.

If you want to watch technologically old cheap boats race go out to most harbors on Wednesday nights. There you can see you 'Old Guys Rule' crowd. Rich
bahamarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:13   #32

And another thing, since when has sports not been about money! Not football, baseball, tennis, hockey, and for sure not the Olympics where billions are spent. Ok now I'm finished. Rich
Old 23-09-2013, 05:16   #33

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Why Would you Blackout the America's Cup Live Streaming in the US

It is ALL about the money. That's the whole answer.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:56   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hey of billionaires are going to waste millions , better it on yacht tech then bimbos and ferraris

Dave
Funny that you think those are mutually exclusive!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:13   #35

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Maybe "Team USA" would be better served if Ellison started spending his millions on bringing young American racers up to speed.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:28   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Maybe "Team USA" would be better served if Ellison started spending his millions on bringing young American racers up to speed.
He has done exactly that, as well as helping other nationals, by creating the AC45 boats and donating them to the youth series. 20 US national youths were involved with that. Ellison is attempting to turn these boats into a racing series class that continues training nationals toward becoming future AC sailors. For all countries, as well as US, but he has a particular interest in building these types of sailors in the US. His other interest in this is building AC-quality sailors in countries other than the usual main ones (China, Korea, etc) so that the AC events truly become worldwide ones.

So, in fact, he has done exactly what you deride him for not doing. And he is the first person to do so from any country at any time in history.

Hate of catamarans and Ellison seem to blind some people from actually checking facts before making their biased statements.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 23-09-2013, 07:46   #37

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
He has done exactly that, as well as helping other nationals, by creating the AC45 boats and donating them to the youth series. 20 US national youths were involved with that. Ellison is attempting to turn these boats into a racing series class that continues training nationals toward becoming future AC sailors. For all countries, as well as US, but he has a particular interest in building these types of sailors in the US. His other interest in this is building AC-quality sailors in countries other than the usual main ones (China, Korea, etc) so that the AC events truly become worldwide ones.

So, in fact, he has done exactly what you deride him for not doing. And he is the first person to do so from any country at any time in history.

Hate of catamarans and Ellison seem to blind some people from actually checking facts before making their biased statements.

Mark
Operative phrase was "young American racers". Clearly with NZ finishing 1 and 2 in the youth cup and only 1 1/2 Americans on the Oracle boat, there is much more left for him to do...but according to your post his priority is not America but improved international competition for all, and we have differing opinions about that.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 08:02   #38

What part of "20 US youths" did not meet the requirements of "young American racers"?

If the class was not a world event class, there would be no building of US either. Do you expect him to simply train US sailors with no actual racing events? Are you really against improved international competition? Do you just want Americans winning races against poor competition? We're number 1!

This was the first step, and you criticize it because NZ won the event?

The nationalities of the Oracle boat has nothing at all to do with the AC45 program.

You won't give him ANY credit at all for attempting something no one else has ever done? Because you "know" what his real priority is? Please tell me, because I don't know it.

Catamarans and Ellison - that says it all for some.

Mark

Old 23-09-2013, 09:40   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamarich View Post
I think that NBC has put a lot into televising these races with unbelievable camera work and incredible graphics.
While I'm glad that NBC has been carrying the event, credit to the camerawork, the graphics, and that entire infrastructure must go to Ellison and the production team he put together -- in particular Stan Honey. NBC is just picking up the feed, and I believe providing some of the commentators.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:54   #40

It is frustrating, You would think with about 200 channels of tv coverage one of them would have the Americas Cup.. but NOOOO. You would also think that after each competitior spending 100 million, they would insist for their sponsers on getting some coverage.....
I'm amazed Oracle has gotten so competitive.. cool. At least that's what I hear thru the grapevine ...haha

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 09:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
While I'm glad that NBC has been carrying the event, credit to the camerawork, the graphics, and that entire infrastructure must go to Ellison and the production team he put together -- in particular Stan Honey. NBC is just picking up the feed, and I believe providing some of the commentators.
What NBC are you watching? I havent had it since the first weekend...?

Old 23-09-2013, 09:57   #42

Paul you could very well be right, I'm sure you are considering Ellison's background. The end result has made for great viewing of these races. Today at 4 PM EDT we'll all gather again up at the marina clubhouse and enjoy the racing. We will cheer the winners regardless of the team. We are all happy to have been able to watch it all. Rich
Old 23-09-2013, 10:01   #43

It's on the NBC Sports Network. A pretty normal to have cable channel. Rich
Old 23-09-2013, 10:01   #44

I would imagine the right to coverage was up for sale and no one opted to buy it...? Except maybe NBC on a limited basis of some sort....

It's on the NBC Sports Network. A pretty normal to have cable channel. Rich
Yeah, evidently not normal on Dishnet.... I've got all kinds of sports channels, but not that one....

Old 23-09-2013, 10:20   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The NBC Sports Network wasn't available on the Dish channel package I had, so I signed up for the next-bigger package which included it, along with a bunch more stuff. It was about a $10 upgrade. I might keep this package, since we've found a few other things we might want to watch (we're not big on sports in general).

Still, I prefer the commercial-free Youtube coverage.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote