Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2006, 09:28   #61

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Another stupid colour for safety

I remember watching a TV program on a guy who had "invented" most of the international symbols for the road and buildings. He was on a rant about the colour of lit exit signs in places like hotels. He said they are coloured "red" but in a fire, the red in the smoke combines to give the appearance that the fire is toward the red glow. Other than orange or yellow, red was about the worst colour for an emergency exit sign during a fire.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 22:54   #62
Kai Nui

Fortunately most sailors are adept at finding their way around the boat with no visibility, while being tossed around violently
I must admit that my choice of colors was secondarily influenced by the visibility issue. As this is an unconventional design, it seemed only right to go with an unconventional paint job.
Old 21-01-2006, 23:45   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
An interesting event just happend here in NZ this weekend. Interesting as in the color of the boat and the rescuers missing the boat that is. Here is the story.
A couple of guys were doing a delivery trip from Napier to Lyttleton. About a four day trip I gues. About 1/3rd throught the journey, they were being battered by 6m (20ft) seas. A couple swamped them and they maed a call to Maritime radio. But during there comunications, they were knocked down again and lost there aerial. So they set off the EPIRB. Now here is the intertesign part. The rescue helicopter flew out to there aid and it was homing in on the beacon. It flew right over top of them and did not make a visual. The beacong told the crew they had gone over top and the recuse crew turned and did find the boat and made a successful rescue. The boat was a light blue and white and the rescue Pilot said that the boat was virtually invisable to them in the ruff seas.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 01:29   #64
Kai Nui

My plan is to glow in the dark. We hope that if we are ever in that circumstance, we will be the most visible thing in the water. Coicidentally, the dinghy my friend lost while towing was also light blue and white.
Old 22-01-2006, 11:29   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hmmm, what's that glow on the Horizon?? City lights? nope, no land that way, Aurora?, nope, Antartica is South, that's coming from the north, Squid boats?, nope, arrr, Kai Nui glowing in the dark

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 17:42   #66
Kai Nui

Thanks Wheels, made my day.

Tags
mob