Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2017, 09:37   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Why the endless need for speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Yep. Next time out we're putting out the 130% foresail; probably manage 6 knots instead of 5.
Love the comment.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:12   #62

What I like best about entering a port is fresh pastries, veggies and leaving to go back to sea. I have been in many harbors as a crew member and did not go ashore. I have found that with most of the crew ashore, it is a great time to write a letter home and get in the post prior to departing for the next destination.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:02   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As others have said -- Speed is Fun!
[...]

A sailboat going fast points higher.
All else being equal, a boat going faster will point *lower*, since the apparent wind moves forward as the boatspeed increases. Look at the recent America's Cup races: The boats were sailing upwind on very broad angles to the true wind, but the apparent wind was virtually on the nose. The only way they could point higher was to slow down.

Of course they were making the best VMG upwind by going fast and sailing "fat". A faster boat will get to the destination quicker, but it may not be pointing any higher. What's also true is that faster boats are often more close-winded, due to design, sail shape, and good trimming. But that's not the same thing.

Compared to many fast sailboats I can sail my little dinghy *very* close to the wind, but that's because it goes slow!
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:09   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And has been mentioned, another component of "faster" is the ability to move in very light winds. When you are slatting around in leftover swells and close to zero wind, there's a huge difference between drifting sideways and actually sailing at 1 or two knots. A clean hull, good sails, and good technique do matter.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 11:18   #65

Boat: Various

Wifey B: It's really just different strokes for different folks and who cares what the other person likes. I hope everyone has what they enjoy, not what makes sense to me.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: It's really just different strokes for different folks and who cares what the other person likes. I hope everyone has what they enjoy, not what makes sense to me.
Old 31-07-2017, 12:17   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don't see how faster equates to light wind performance necessarily.
I thought light wind performance to a great degree came from big, light weight sails, not say from a planing hull or very fine hills?

Now fast often means light and light I can see means good light wind performance, but light and cruising don't seem to go together? How many race boats carry around a hundred meters of chain, an oversized anchor and a huge amount of water and food?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:22   #68

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hmmm... I am guessing you were looking at maybe buying a Flicka?
Jim beat me to it,
Faster is funner
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 12:53   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Sailing isn't to satisfy the other guy.
Old 31-07-2017, 14:50   #70

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sailing isn't to satisfy the other guy.
Wifey B: Neither is powerboating.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:57   #71

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Size related speed may well get you out of trouble on short sea passages but it is no silver bullet on longer trips. There it is not so much how fast you go but where you point the boat.
Both my South Pacific trips were completed at an average speed of spot on 5 knots. For most of the time the speed was above that but it only takes a few days of very light conditions to bring the average down.
Last trip, yes, we got a smack and broke stuff but that wasn't down to going slow, in fact slower would have been better ... if I had a faster boat I would have found myself further south and received a bigger smack and broken more stuff....

Other yachts doing the crossing? I've known a few larger boats to do it in the low 30 days which is an average of six and a bit. I've also known larger boats ( and smaller ) to get knocked down and also larger( and smaller ) boats that have taken up to 60 days for the same crossing. Indeed when we last crossed we had another longer , lighter and supposedly faster boat just ( maybe 500 miles ) to the north of us... she took exactly the same number of days as us.

Its not just about size and nominal speed.... knowing where to put her in relation to the weather systems is very important and that is a strategic thing more than a tactical issue... a few extra knots is not going to help all that much with a fast moving front with a face of maybe 400 miles or so. Unless you sail due north ( in my case) but that isn't going to get you to your destination any sooner ....

BTW .. The young lady I was speaking of earlier sailed Mirror dinghies... still does... not sure what you lot were going on about
Old 31-07-2017, 15:19   #72

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A front.... extending from about 30*S to 45*S.... not sure how a few knots of boat speed is going to get you out of the way of this.... and as you can see its poking along at 25 knots.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tasman.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	153121   Click image for larger version

Name:	tasman2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	153122  

Old 31-07-2017, 16:18   #73

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Bill Lee of the Santa Cruz ULDB movement years ago summed it up for many:

FAST IS FUN

Works for me!

Jim
what he said. it's all about what blows your skirt up in sailing. as a long time racer I now have a center cockpit hunter passage 42. not what you'd call a racer and I don't race her but I recently ordered a new warp drive radial cut main and genoa and an assymetrical spinnaker with top down furler. I sail a lot single handed and my kick is getting everything I can out of the boat. i'm sure there are lots of reasons people have boats but a big reason for me is to sail as fast and efficiently as possible. i'm near the channel islands in California and my day sails take in quite a bit more scenery than anybody I know here. I suppose another question; why not an endless need for speed.
jrbogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:27   #74

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

This is an interesting thread...so many view points. I've been giving it some thought and I think the "need for speed" was a fact of life when we sailed our little Santana. If the lee rail wasn't in the water, we weren't going fast enough. It was a blast! However, putting the rail in the water on our IP wasn't fun at all.

We are not doing long passages these days, but I can see how a faster boat might be an advantage...but is it comfy? Perhaps there has to be a happy medium. Personally, I would rather have more stability and less "tender-ness" that seems to come with the faster boats.

I think it simply comes down to ones priorities (and illusion of safety).
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 16:28   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
All else being equal, a boat going faster will point *lower*, since the apparent wind moves forward as the boatspeed increases. !
They may point lower, but they will generally track higher because leeway is a lower component of their overall motion.

A basic mistake that many beginning skippers make when they start racing is pinching up to lay a mark. They see that they are pointing higher but don't appreciate how much their leeway has increased.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote