Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2010, 20:26   #31
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
lockie - watch that melanoma on the dangly bits!
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 21:15   #32

Boat: Compass 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
lockie - watch that melanoma on the dangly bits!
Sun don't shine there.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 10:20   #33

I don't sail solo because insurance for deliveries is not too keen on the concept and also because if I'm doing it professionally I'm happy to have back up and more hands to do a better job, but I dream and look forward to the days when I'll be able to finally sail on my own. The reasons are the same of every solo sailor , I guess.
J Ventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 13:58   #34
E-P

SaltyMonkey - Sounds you are very stressed and angry all the time. You need to absorb some good energies and smile. Relax, piece and love.
E-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 14:07   #35
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
E-P: Hard to take a lecture from someone who doesn't know how to spell...

:O
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 16:23   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Sun don't shine there.
Not at his age it don't. Maybe when he was younger.

(Sorry, don't know you, but I'm old enough that I have no room to talk!)
Old 18-06-2010, 19:42   #37

Boat: Compass 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not at his age it don't. Maybe when he was younger.

(Sorry, don't know you, but I'm old enough that I have no room to talk!)
Ha-ha, no need to apologise! Old Father Time is very fair in handing out his chronological depredations and we will get our chance to enjoy them!
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:02   #38

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Ha-ha, no need to apologise! Old Father Time is very fair in handing out his chronological depredations and we will get our chance to enjoy them!

Soo true lockie so true

Uncle Bob.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2010, 20:49   #39

Quote:
E-P: Hard to take a lecture from someone who doesn't know how to spell...

:O
I will suggest 4 ellipsis at the end of a sentence.
Old 18-06-2010, 21:41   #40

Thumbs up To Each His Own, and Thank God for That

Monkey:

It's your boat, the great thing is that you get to do it exactly the way you want, so have at it. Some of us are built more for self-contemplation, others for social interaction, and everyone is on the continuum somewhere, and we often shift around at different times and to meet different psycho-social needs.

I love it all: full boat daysails; one crewman to interact with to deepen a friendship; and lots of time out by myself, enjoying the rhythms of waves and wind, getting to know myself. Do what brings you satisfaction, or what's the point?

Fair Winds and a reliable auto-pilot to you,
Jeff

As for punctuation, the ellipsis (ellipses is the plural) is three dots, no spaces, and is considered a unit, i.e., one punctuation mark. An ellipsis is not "three periods." Three ellipses are unnecessary.
Old 19-06-2010, 05:44   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
As for punctuation, the ellipsis (ellipses is the plural) is three dots, no spaces, and is considered a unit, i.e., one punctuation mark. An ellipsis is not "three periods." Three ellipses are unnecessary.
Touche'.
Old 19-06-2010, 05:47   #42

Boat: 1970 Hughes 29
Quote:

Why Solo?

I don't see much chatter on the subject anywhere, so I thought I would drop a thread to see if we can record other sailor's reasoning for it, as well as my own. Having done it for quite a while of my sailing life, friends and other's either react as if I am crazy, or that I am going after some romantic super human achievement, and their reasonings at least for me are so off-base or misconstrued I tend to just agree with them to get to the next subject these days. You can try and explain it but they don't listen or turns it into some argument. You see, it's not because of arrogance or some 19th century idealogical Man vs Nature kind of thing. Hardly close to the truth. The reason is, at least for me is, I gravitate to sailing solo because of my "limitations" not for any strengths or to gain any strengths from the experience. Because perhaps I am not as good as other people in certain social situations, and sometimes it's just a matter of practicality and timing. And here are my reasons:

- I'm spontaneous and can't wait for other people at the dock or plan with other people.
- People moving on a boat or pointing to things confuses me and distracts my concentration while steering.
- Soloing is more affordable - smaller yacht, storage and supplies. Easier plans.
- I don't like group think or group decisions during journeys or even in rooms. My ideals are always right and sound.
- After 1-2 days in a closed space I might make your life living hell with my complaining and temperament.
- I need to know where everything is all the time. All forks must be in the fork box. A toothpick out of place will confuse me to know end and make me loose lots of precious calories trying to find it.
- Human voices annoy me in the morning. Banging pots annoy me in the morning.
- I don't like people sitting on my toilet seat. I do not want anyone else's cooties.
- I cannot stand any stereo system on the boat, yet alone music of any kind. I need to hear what is going on around me, i need to feel the vibrations on deck with bare feet, i need to feel the wave and ocean rhythms via the tiller. If I can't do this I will get bitter and yell at someone and panic and complain.
- I can't sit still and need to be active all the time or I will loose it. Relaxing is boring and useless to me.
- I am a horrible judgement of other peoples character. If I chose as crew a grinder who had climbed 7 peaks and walked solo across Australia, he might end up holding a flare pistol to my head panicked in a light gale crying for his mommy; while the skinny yoga instructor I picked up as crew in the supermarket sewed back on her severed arm with dental floss and is now making tea singing a beatles song.
- I have a real aversion to the situation that if the boat sank, and we were all in the water, life-craft busted, I would have to say to the crew "Well, I guess this is it. Can I just say to you all: you've been a great crew...sorry we are all going to die now? Hugs?"
- I would equally hate to come on deck in the morning and find my fellow cruiser missing.
- I can't stand useless conversations...conversations that drone on about nothing pretending they are meaningful:

CREW #1: "Why are people so complacent and insulting in our society these days?"

CREW #2: "Because that's just the way life is, you moron!"

There are of course gains by going solo. Besides the hyper awareness to the environment I describe, you are also hyper aware to yourself. Most of the times that "mirror" to yourself is frightening and ugly and raw. But you learn from it, and it helps in other areas once you do arrive somewhere. It's short-lived though. These weakness do not usually go away, but you learn to accept them and perhaps manage them better. And you go back out to get recharged from time to time.

SaltyMonkey
Hey SaltyMonkey are you a Gemini, everything you wrote sounds familar

Furface
Furface is offline   Reply With Quote