Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2008, 16:18   #1

Why pivoting mast?

I have a boat here that has a pin thru the bottom of the mast. Solid and easy to step. I have a boat here with a mast that sits on the foot. It is held down by a line and the shrouds/stays. Lift one inch and the mast can slip off the foot. Not likely, but not as secure as the first example. I have a rig from a Y-flyer here with a pivoting mast that sits on a ball in a socket in the foot. Again only the shrouds/stays hold it down on the foot.
What is the reasoning behind a pivoting mast? Is there a compelling reason not to make a new foot for two of the rigs so I can pin the mast down like the first example? Does a pivoting mast provide a real advantage outside of racing?

Old 24-10-2008, 16:38   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I have a boat here that has a pin thru the bottom of the mast. Solid and easy to step. I have a boat here with a mast that sits on the foot. It is held down by a line and the shrouds/stays. Lift one inch and the mast can slip off the foot. Not likely, but not as secure as the first example. I have a rig from a Y-flyer here with a pivoting mast that sits on a ball in a socket in the foot. Again only the shrouds/stays hold it down on the foot.
What is the reasoning behind a pivoting mast? Is there a compelling reason not to make a new foot for two of the rigs so I can pin the mast down like the first example? Does a pivoting mast provide a real advantage outside of racing?
Depends on whether you think a 10-15% improvement is only useful for racing. Most of the references I've seen quote this number, but maybe they all got it from the same place.

Rotating masts: a help or a hindrance? - TheMainSail Maintenance

John

Old 24-10-2008, 16:48   #3

Boat: Mutineer 15
hey a question I can actual help with. I'm not too familiar with the advantages of a pivoting mast but I'm familiar a negative. (if it's a trailer sailor) It makes it much harder to raise and lower the mast. Don't even try it by your self you will just damage your boat or your self. How we did it was to have a person hold each stay while the mast was being raised and keep it in position. That worked as long as the wind was light. For me that does not work because I like single handing too much.
Old 24-10-2008, 16:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
The only advantage to a pivoting mast is aerodynamics. It helps decrease the dead air spot behind the mast on a closehaul. The ball at the bottom have been known to break, de-masting the boat.

The cantering mast usually on trailerable boats, has the bolt thru to keep it from moving forwards/backwards. It's base is called a tabernackle. The shrouds keeps it secure to the deck top with a compression post underneath to support the deck from crushing.

....................._/)

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 17:37   #5

On the boat with the pin, the mast steps thru the deck to a keel mount. Once it is in place, a square wooden (bushing) piece fits into square mounting area built into the deck. Drop it in place, install the pin, attach shrouds, rock forward, attach forestay, tap block into place, tighten forestay. The (tabernacle/foot) has several holes in it making it so that you can adjust the angle of the mast quite a bit more than the rigging allows. I suspect that the original mast was a rectangular profile wooden mast that fit the hole in the deck without the added block.
The Y-flyer rig goes with this.

I plan on making this the ultimate day play boat for my area. Since I am building it, I was considering abandoning the pivot. Maybe not now!
Old 24-10-2008, 17:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Hummmmmm!

That's more like a wind surfer.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 17:45   #7

Off topic, so I will start another thread about that hull. It does have potential I think!
Old 24-10-2008, 22:38   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wampler View Post
hey a question I can actual help with. I'm not too familiar with the advantages of a pivoting mast but I'm familiar a negative. (if it's a trailer sailor) It makes it much harder to raise and lower the mast. Don't even try it by your self you will just damage your boat or your self. How we did it was to have a person hold each stay while the mast was being raised and keep it in position. That worked as long as the wind was light. For me that does not work because I like single handing too much.
Lots of ways to do it yourself. If your boat has trapezes, attach them to points directly abeam of your mast step to make guy wires, then use whatever method you choose to raise the mast. Don't have trapezes? Make up anything to the lowers or spreaders to attach at the beam.
John

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: