Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 09:42   #1

Why people may not help you!

There past experiences
There was the time I stopped to help a disabled power boat and offered a tow to my marine they wanted a tow to a marine 6 miles the other direction after all how would they get to there car??????
There was the time I towed a sailboat to my marina after docking I walked over to give help or advise turns out it needed a head gasket his offer to fix it -----------A six pack !!! I find out later his occupation stock broker !
There was the time a club member asked if I would help on a bottom job "ok" When I get there at 9am he is miffed because he had been there since 6am waiting What he had done -----------------Nothing I was waiting on you he said
Stopped to help a lady with a flat as I finish the task her son drives up! the LADY had not mentioned that he was on the way!!!!!!
There was the time a guy in the marine that came over and asked to borrow a tool one thing led to another I realize he and his friend are making a dangerous mess of there wiring so I spend the better part of a day of my life working on his boat wiring for a beer and a thank you to find out later he is worth millions!!!
There was the time a guy walks up and say's Someone on the dock said you were a good mechanic can you help me? I have a look at the engine and it is a POS. When I decline he say's If you are so good why can't you work on it ?
There was the time I went up a guy's mast to do something for him and the next time I see him he want's to know what I may have done to damage his wind instruments "they are not working" I did not touch them!
I Know I Know There are those of you out there saying but you volunteered and YOU are the Type person I intend to avoid
TOOO many people ask of others time with no respect of others TIME!!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Why people may not help you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
There past experiences
There was the time I stopped to help a disabled power boat and offered a tow to my marine they wanted a tow to a marine 6 miles the other direction after all how would they get to there car?????? Uhh, via taxi? Did you tow them?

There was the time I towed a sailboat to my marina after docking I walked over to give help or advise turns out it needed a head gasket his offer to fix it -----------A six pack !!! I find out later his occupation stock broker ! Maybe, he had no idea whatsoever what your time is worth.

There was the time a club member asked if I would help on a bottom job "ok" When I get there at 9am he is miffed because he had been there since 6am waiting What he had done -----------------Nothing I was waiting on you he said Well, maybe he was waiting for you because you know how to do it? Or maybe he was a nitwit?

Stopped to help a lady with a flat as I finish the task her son drives up! the LADY had not mentioned that he was on the way!!!!!!
It was good of you to help. But I bet it was a long time ago! Last time I helped a woman with a flat was in the 1970's.

There was the time a guy in the marine that came over and asked to borrow a tool one thing led to another I realize he and his friend are making a dangerous mess of there wiring so I spend the better part of a day of my life working on his boat wiring for a beer and a thank you to find out later he is worth millions!!! If you want people to pay you for helping, you need to set it up clearly, in advance. A Friend of ours did it by making consultations free, but if he were going to their boat with tools, they paid his rate.

There was the time a guy walks up and say's Someone on the dock said you were a good mechanic can you help me? I have a look at the engine and it is a POS. When I decline he say's If you are so good why can't you work on it ? My friend, you missed a chance to tell him it was a POS, and not worth your effort, for all the reasons you could see. It's not popular, I know, to be the bearer of bad tidings, but sometimes ya gotta tell it like it is.

There was the time I went up a guy's mast to do something for him and the next time I see him he want's to know what I may have done to damage his wind instruments "they are not working" I did not touch them!
I Know I Know There are those of you out there saying but you volunteered and YOU are the Type person I intend to avoid
TOOO many people ask of others time with no respect of others TIME!!!!
I can certainly see why you might feel disappointed in humanity!

Ann
Old 08-01-2017, 11:28   #3

I don't see any in my marina crowd but in general, I see a lot, on the job, in public and etc. generations,? Or education?
So I enjoy being at my marina.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:09   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sartorst, what works for me is this mindset;

'I never do something for anyone else!! ....I do it because it makes ME feel good.'

That way I never go into it with expectations.

BTW, which dock are you on....my head needs fixing [emoji2]
Old 08-01-2017, 12:20   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

'I never do something for anyone else!! ....I do it because it makes ME feel good.'
Exactly

Quote:
...BTW, which dock are you on....my head needs fixing [emoji2]
Ah... So you've already had your "head" examined?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Lol....glad you got my gift.

I examine my head on a regular basis [emoji2]
Old 08-01-2017, 12:31   #7

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I once got a call from a friends wife saying she didn't know where he was and was worried. So I drove all the dirt roads between his farm and mine then eventually swung by his place... He was in the shop just outside the living room window.

I get like that sometimes but two wrongs don't make a right, I'll keep helping people but not the douche ones twice.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Exactly

Ah... So you've already had your "head" examined?
Have you thought of seeking professional help for your boat affliction
Old 08-01-2017, 12:57   #9

Quote:
....I do it because it makes ME feel good.
Yes.

For the OP, their, there, they're...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 08-01-2017, 15:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Sartorst, what works for me is this mindset;

That way I never go into it with expectations.

BTW, which dock are you on....my head needs fixing [emoji2]
Hear, hear!

That's exactly why I volunteer for SAR watch, run courses and provide advice and/or assistance when requested at the yacht club.

(Spent the last weekend on SAR watch plus a couple of sessions showing someone how to use spring lines to get their boat out of a tight slip with adverse crosswinds and getting them familiar with how their boat behaved at manouvering speed under power in moderate winds (canoe stern with one heck of a prop walk!)
Old 08-01-2017, 15:28   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hear, hear!

That's exactly why I volunteer for SAR watch, run courses and provide advice and/or assistance when requested at the yacht club.

(Spent the last weekend on SAR watch plus a couple of sessions showing someone how to use spring lines to get their boat out of a tight slip with adverse crosswinds and getting them familiar with how their boat behaved at manouvering speed under power in moderate winds (canoe stern with one heck of a prop walk!)

Good on ya, Stu. That kind of help is priceless.

Usually, ime, people try to reward you for helping, one way or another, but the OP had a bad run of people who didn't thank him as he thought he should be. I really believe one should do it (helping others) for the pleasure one gets out of it--the Pelagic school of thought, or not do it. It's sorta fun, actually.

Ann
Old 08-01-2017, 15:56   #12

Boat: 2019 TBD

I was once out wake boarding on Folsom lake, way up the North Fork valley. My daughters were with me and we were having an amazing day. Then we overheated. Impeller disintegrated, bolt stripped while trying to replace it. Stuck on the water for 2 hours and no boats. Then came a little old mane in a dingy with a 5hp outboard on his way OUT to go fishing. Came to us, heard our story, then proceeded to tow us all the way back to the dock. Refused payment of any kind. He then loaded up his boat to go home because he no longer had time to go out and fish his favorite spot.

Because of that little old man I will always do my best to pay it forward if it can be done safely. If that hadn't of happened to me I don't know if that would be my attitude today. Sad to say but it's just not the norm anymore. Wish it was.
Old 08-01-2017, 16:02   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Guess I am lucky, but I have had pretty good luck in my neck of the woods as helper and helpee...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 08-01-2017, 16:10   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I like teaching people. For example, their outboard runs like crap so I show them how to disassemble and clean the carb, put it back on, and hear it run well.

The downer is when asked a year later to do it again for them. And they have a grand plan of eventually being a full time cruiser someday! Hopefully they don't plan to go any further than the Keys.
Old 08-01-2017, 16:12   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like the OP needs to hang out with a better class of boater, or simply better people. I’ve always found I get back what I put out.
Closed Thread