Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 19:19   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
There are only a couple of airplane manufacturers at the big end of the market (Boeing/Airbus) - the smaller end a few more (Bombardier, Embraer). The largest airlines get lots of input on Boeing and Airbus' next design.

I reckon Moorings and Sunsail have a lot of influence, buy in bulk and for the maker they know that 5 years on the "new" boats will enter the secondary market where spare parts will continue to be sold.

And economies of scale, pricing and the fact that Moorings and Sunsail probably pretty much know what charterers want in a boat.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:33   #17

Boat: Delphia 37
The basis of my question really is would it be a mistake to charter a different boat than a Beneteau or Jeanneau.

I can't image it would be but... and I've already sailed those. I have not sailed on a Catalina and was thinking of chartering one as I'd love to try one. I just got to thinking why is it 95% of the charter fleets in this part of the world comprised of basically one type of boat. As the reasons cited make sense. Kicker was even in the smaller charter companies where private individuals own the boats (TMM etc) they are still almost all Ben/Jen's too.
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:40   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The bonus of chartering is to try other boats. Shop around try a lot of different boats. Don't just sail them but make sure you take time to spend a little time below decks.

As the joke goes, "Unlike women, beer and boats don't mind if you try another beer/boat."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:37   #19

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

As the joke goes, "Unlike women, beer and boats don't mind if you try another beer/boat."
I know two long term cruisers who will swear that their boats Know when they have been out on a younger sportier boat!!! They say when they do, that very next day "things" start not working and continue for a week or more until "she" gets over it and they have made the appropriate apologies to "her".

Old 14-04-2010, 21:14   #20

Boat: Jeanneua 36
I,v had 6 year old ben, in hard charter for 3 years now in sth. island nz. No breakages,easy mainenance,good resale &easy to sail;that says it all.Its been to tonga twice,has now clocked up 55000 miles & still looks like new (except sails)
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 23:46   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
The basis of my question really is would it be a mistake to charter a different boat than a Beneteau or Jeanneau.

I can't image it would be but... and I've already sailed those. I have not sailed on a Catalina and was thinking of chartering one as I'd love to try one. I just got to thinking why is it 95% of the charter fleets in this part of the world comprised of basically one type of boat. As the reasons cited make sense. Kicker was even in the smaller charter companies where private individuals own the boats (TMM etc) they are still almost all Ben/Jen's too.
Well, another reason is that Beneteaus and Jenneaus are pretty much perfectly designed for the kind of sailing one does on charter -- a week of short coastal hops. They are light and fun to sail in those conditions, and have a lot of interior volume for their size. They are cheap, and I suppose even more so when you buy a bunch of them. And I would guess that the charter companies get really good support for their standardized fleet, from a big company like Beneteau.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 05:02   #22

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
We've bareboat chartered in the BVI's 6 times, all on Beneteaus. I like the commonality of the systems between the different boats. Makes checkout easier when you already know about the shower filters, valves, windlass, etc. I remember one particular difference between a boat built specifically for charter by Beneteau vs a private model in charter: The private 331 carried only about 50 gallons of water and the 332 (Moorings version) had two tanks for a total of 90 gallons, which really made a difference during a 2 week charter. The 332 had bigger house batteries than the 331, which helped with refrigeration. Not to bash Hunters, but I asked the base manager at the charter dock why they did not have any Hunters. He said they had tried several Hunters, but too many things broke that never fail on other boats and they had to be able to count on turning the boat around for the next charter. Didn;t ask about Catalinas.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, jeanneau