Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 11:14   #1

Boat: St Francis 48Turbo
Why not?

Hi Guys,
OK.. now admittedly I'm a newbie to many sailing things but here's a question.. Why are "self tacking" gib tracks shaped like they are?

All I've ever seen are an arch shaped thing in front of the mast. Now I'm a cat person (apologies mono enthusiasts) but why aren't the "runners" (is that the correct term?) shaped in a U shape rather than a simple curve?

I'll try and upload a drawing or two but if the runner was shaped in a U, the sheet could be pulled back as more of the gybe was let out, allowing the gybe to go wider.

Answers on a postcard.. or if you prefer.. down below.

OK I can't upload a pictures because this stupid editor thing asks for a URL!??!?!?
Heath68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:17   #2

Re: Why not?

That was my second attempt at uploading pics.. PLEASE make this easier!!!
Old 30-01-2018, 11:18   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Well, in order to maintain a sheet tension and angle the curve shape is utilized. This allow the the jib sheet tension to remain constant from one tack to another while the sail moves side to side without intervention. If you change the shape of the track it will no longer be self tending.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:26   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Well, in order to maintain a sheet tension and angle the curve shape is utilized. This allow the the jib sheet tension to remain constant from one tack to another while the sail moves side to side without intervention. If you change the shape of the track it will no longer be self tending.
I understand that.. so on a constant line length, it would self tack.. but then with letting the furler out.. and utilising the bottom of the U shaped track with more line, would this not allow for a greater use of the foresail?

I wish I knew how to upload a pic .. grrrr
Old 30-01-2018, 11:28   #5

The length of sheet is longer at the outer ends of the track on a straight track. So tacking should not be a problem for a straight track ... right? the sheet will be loose as it passes across center. and... straight track and support is cheaper to make!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The length of sheet is longer at the outer ends of the track on a straight track. So tacking should not be a problem for a straight track ... right? the sheet will be loose as it passes across center. and... straight track and support is cheaper to make!
Ture, but curves are sexy. The curved track on something like a beach cat is utilized so you can maintain sail shape through the whole tack.
Old 30-01-2018, 11:31   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why not?

Download the picture to your computer then when you make a post click on the paperclip image by the smiley and it opens a window.. chose your picture then click send.. as soon as it appears in the box window click on upload.. wait a minute then close window and finish post as normal.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:33   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

To upload a picture, click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the "Quick Reply" window. Scroll down and you will see the "Attach Files" box. Click on "Manage Attachments" and you will see "Upload File From Your Computer". Select the picture file, and it will show up at the bottom of your post.

[Yes, as boatman61 says, you can also click on the paperclip icon. This only appears when you are in the Advanced editing mode.]

As for the self-tacking jib, the track shape is probably designed to maintain the correct jibsheet lead angle (as best as can be done given the variables).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath68 View Post
I understand that.. so on a constant line length, it would self tack.. but then with letting the furler out.. and utilising the bottom of the U shaped track with more line, would this not allow for a greater use of the foresail?

I wish I knew how to upload a pic .. grrrr
Are you trying to say you want something that can self tack with a furled headsail, but then be used for sheeting an overlapping genoa?
Old 30-01-2018, 11:43   #10

OK the first picture (I hope) shows as is now... the second pic (I think) seems to allow a tension kept in the furler and the self tacking jib to be used.. but allowing more of the jib out and utilising the U shape allows more sail to be exposed without the use of a new sail.. ??

ok I can see I've drawn the lines wrong but do you get what I mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	now.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	163111   Click image for larger version

Name:	maybe.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	163112  

Old 30-01-2018, 11:47   #11

I think I meant this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maybe.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	163113  
Old 30-01-2018, 12:06   #12

I’ve got absolutely no idea what you’re trying to get across.
Old 30-01-2018, 12:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It looks like you want the track to bend (sharply?) aft, port and starboard. This way you could lead the sheets aft for a better lead angle when using a larger headsail. Correct?

On a regular non-self-tacking headsail, there are often tracks for the lead blocks, and these location of the blocks can be adjusted, either with pin-stops or with control lines. But with a self-tacking arrangement, when flying a smaller headsail you would need stops attached to the track that would keep the sliding blocks from traveling to the end of the track. There is hardware that will work for this.

In your diagram however, the sharp angles in that track aren't going to let you use regular track-mounted blocks -- they can't turn sharp corners. Also, if you solve the "corner" problem the forces on the jibsheet look like they would prevent the block from reaching the end of the track. Instead, the block would stop near the corner anyway.

I've not sailed with a self-tacker, but the regular two-sheet arrangement is fine with me. It's good for my upper-body strength.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:06   #14

Ok, a second look has lead me to believe I may realize what you’re asking about.

There is no car that can make sharp corners like that.

Self racking headsails are typically higher aspect efficient shapes......you don’t get this by having the sail rolled partway up.

The added complication of lines needed to control a theoretical car able to transition these turns would nullify the ease of sailing gained by having the self tacker.
Old 30-01-2018, 13:16   #15

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Also, the forward part of the track is the wrong shape. From the forestay, figure out the sheeting distance you want the track (your radius) then draw an arc keeping the same distance away from the forestay.

A better way is to use vertical curve with the ends higher then the middle.

Matt

Name:   images.png
Views: 386
Size:  5.2 KB