Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-09-2016, 19:36   #46

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: Why living on a boat sucks

B.S. Some of us know how to prevent head odor, just like we know how not to have an impeller self destruct in the water pump">raw water pump, how to prevent a prop from rotting off, how to keep the rig standing. It's called periodic/preventative maintenance. I have a wife that would never "Get use to it".

Old 01-10-2016, 04:40   #47

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
Yep, I'm not a big fan of the diesel smell either.
I am praying the composting toilets only smell like potting soil as all the videos say. .
Linda the composters need a proper ventilation system as well. We tried the C head without venting and it was a OK except many female guests had a really hard time not getting urine Into the main bucket. The airhead has worked so much better but guys need to sit to pee or it too will allow urine into the bucket which will turn it into a mess.
For us the composter is a little more work but worth it. Its dumb to argue what's worse environmentally or from a maintenance perspective as they both require work. Composter is more frequent with cleaning and dumping. But less issues overall. I have installed completely new holding tanks, lines vented loops and vent systems In both power and sailboats and even with fresh water flush systems they still had odor. Sometimes it was chemical odor, sometimes it was "a worse" odor but always more than a properly vented airhead.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 01-10-2016, 05:26   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
I think there are two types of smells in a marine head - dead stale seawater and bad ventilated holding tanks. The former you can avoid by using the head frequently or fresh water flush.

The latter is due to inadequate ventilation - if the culture is healthy it shouldn't smell unless you're sticking your nose by the ventilation breathers and drawing air like you're smoking a pipe.
Or permeated hoses.

No smells from my heads. They smell as good as any land toilets; maybe better.

That's down to:

1. Good quality impermeable hoses.

2. Well designed tank with very large diameter vents which keep a healthy aerobic culture going (thank you Bill Dixon). Never the slightest whiff from the tank.

3. Sea water flush, constantly used, or laid up with fresh water to prevent "dead critter stench". Obviously fresh water flushing is even much better from this point of view, but sea water works fine for me.

4. Electric toilets, not manual. Allows pumping much larger volume through (to prevent excrement from standing in the hoses); also greatly reduces risk of clogs.

Zero unpleasant smells - nada. Wish I could say that about my gray water system.

I've had occasional problems - for example, broken down Sea Era toilet this year. Unpleasant when it happens, but I generally get a few years between incidents. And in any case, far less unpleasant than dealing with the gray water system - ugh. Gag.

I personally have zero interest in a system like composting toilets which require so much fiddling with excrement. Ugh. But different people may have different priorities and sensitivities, of course - to each his own.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2016, 07:33   #49

Quote:
No way. Even the best maintained marine heads stink.
Just not true. 4 heads on my now 7 year old boat. Absolutely zero odor and no problems.
Old 01-10-2016, 14:02   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
When people say their head doesn't smell (be it fresh or seawater) Its usually because they are used to it.
Not the case for me as I am not currently living aboard full time. I leave the boat for 2-3 weeks, when I come back I am definitely not acclimated to the boat smell. I open the door to the head and it doesn't stink, even if there is waste in the holding tank. Same answer from my wife who claims to be very odor sensitive.

This is in Florida in the summer with daytime highs in the mid 90s and the boat completely closed up while I'm away. If ever a boat head would smell that would be the time.
Old 01-10-2016, 15:36   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

6 years on board, still love living on our boat. The thought of going back to a house is depressing. Ugh.

Lawn mowing, barking dogs, noisy neighbours, fences, sitting for hours in front of the TV... UGH! Even if our boat's toilets did stink (they don't) it would be worth it.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 18:58   #52

I will remain a skeptic until proven otherwise. I see some claim success which I find hopeful, but can't help wondering if olfactory fatigue is contributing.
Old 01-10-2016, 19:57   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I will remain a skeptic until proven otherwise. I see some claim success which I find hopeful, but can't help wondering if olfactory fatigue is contributing.
I am very familiar with the effect of acclimating to odors. As I mentioned previously, I am not living on board my boat. I visit, spend a day or two, then leave, lock it up, with waste in the holding tank, sometimes 2-3 weeks, and go back to live in a house with a regular bathroom.

When I return to the boat and open it up, enter the heads that also had the doors closed, I detect no odor at all of waste. I think this eliminates the question of olfactory fatigue, at least in my case.

When I first open the hatch I do smell a bit of mildew (a dehumidifier is coming to deal with that) and a whiff of diesel (solar vent for the engine room coming to deal with that) until I have time to air out the boat, but no sewage smell.
Old 01-10-2016, 21:19   #54

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Its been proven.
They didn't "claim" success, they stated success.

Staying a skeptic is a good option if you don't bother to gain the knowledge & competence. Hopefully you won't try to learn from the smelly boats but will learn from the successful ones.
Old 02-10-2016, 00:08   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
We had a guy on our boat who reckoned watermaker water tasted salty.

I gave him a sample and he said "Yep, I can taste the salt."

The water I gave him came from a rainwater tank.

With marine toilets, the reason a lot of them smell is that they don't get constant use. Leave one with seawater in the plumbing for a week or two and it reeks. Do this often enough and the smell will become permanent.

But if you live aboard, and start with clean hoses and toilet, constant use will keep them from getting sour.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13   #56

Boat: 27' Catalina

If you put proper treatment in you have no problems though a cracked valve will mess up the floor real good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: