Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20   #16

Boat: 1971 Irwin 37cc
Re: Why isn't the boat facing into the wind at anchor?

Make sure your anchor rode is centred at the bow by using a bridle, when I had my alberg 30 it did the same until I did this. It did not eliminate the wandering but did reduce it. When we were anchoring in patches of weed I was sent in to create a swath of clear bottom (joke). It makes for an interesting afternoon when friends tried to raft to me, timing was critical.

John Boor
John Boor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:21   #17

Boat: Intrepid 9 meter, 29.5 feet

Caught by dark we anchored near the east shore on Delaware Bay between Cape May and the canal to Chesapeake Bay. The anchor line was under the hull heading back toward the prop and the rudder. We tried two anchors. Nothing worked. What a sleepless night. In Halifax (NS) harbor, waiting for a dock space to open up I was surprised by how stable the boat was (no sails) with low speed reverse thrust balancing the wind's drag on the mast. It didn't walk.
Old Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:30   #18

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

It's usually a matter of windage. It's why I always prefer a house aft fishing boat. If you boat has the house (cabin) forward, it tends to not point into the wind. A house aft boat will point into the wind whether adrift or anchored. Look at your windvane. the "feather" on the vane will always be blown downwind so the arrow will always point upwind. Put up a little riding sail off the end of your boom and it will point into the wind.
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:36   #19

I've found currents vary direction etc a lot in an anchorage. One boat will be sitting one way and another different.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:03   #20

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Sometimes I could swear the position of the rudder affects things.
It seems to me that if the rudder is completely to one side while on anchor the current will take the vessel sideways regardless of the wind direction.
Please correct me if im dreaming....but Ive done this on purpose occationally in an effort to steady the boat. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt...
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28   #21

Boat: Cadtana 431

On my F-27 tri, I often sail at anchor; tying a bucket to a line attached to the stern and throwing it overboard stops most of the sailing at anchor. Give it a try.
-Steve
sailsw00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:55   #22

Boat: Bayfield 25
Why isn't the boat facing into the wind at anchor?

You have a stern anchor? Maybe try setting a bit of the main to counteract the shear.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sssssailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 13:18   #23

Boat: PDQ 44i

FYI
the terms for this phenomenon are "wind rode" and "tide rode."

The current may vary in different parts of the anchorage. Hull shape and freeboard also affect the forces of wind and tide on your boat. For these and other reasons, for example, catamarans and monohulls often lie differently in an anchorage.

best.
doublewide
S/V Seabbatical
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 14:25   #24

Boat: contessa 32

t

To test if the tidal current is effecting the way your craft is laying to her anchor,try changing the position of the rudder… if current rode your boat will change her orientation to the wind.

I'll let somebody else discuss "top hamper".

………………….luv you all……………………………………………..mike………………………………..
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 15:04   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrdflyr View Post
It's usually a matter of windage. It's why I always prefer a house aft fishing boat. If you boat has the house (cabin) forward, it tends to not point into the wind. A house aft boat will point into the wind whether adrift or anchored. Look at your windvane. the "feather" on the vane will always be blown downwind so the arrow will always point upwind. Put up a little riding sail off the end of your boom and it will point into the wind.

One of the many reasons I love my all furling ketch rig. Just unfurl a scrap of mizzen, and problem solved. Never need a stern anchor or bridle to the rode to make the boat point into the wind and waves.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 15:33   #26

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Ha, sat stern to the wind AND current once. Spent a while trying to figure out what was going on, damned warp had caught on the rudder pintle.

Good reason to use all chain... Not nylon.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-07-2015, 16:42   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
One of our goals this season is to start anchoring overnight. We've been in West Harbor at Fishers Island, NY since yesterday and for most of the day today we've been either beam to the wind or stern to the wind. No one else in the anchorage is doing this. Why is this happening, and is it a problem?

FYI, we're using a 22 lb Rocna with 25 feet of chain, 7:1 scope. Full keel, 24 foot Bristol, and we're definitely not dragging.
It's because it's not a Ferro Cement Catamaran and you are using the inferior ROCNA.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
... for most of the day today we've been either beam to the wind or stern to the wind. No one else in the anchorage is doing this. Why is this happening, and is it a problem?

FYI, we're using a 22 lb Rocna with 25 feet of chain, 7:1 scope. Full keel, 24 foot Bristol, and we're definitely not dragging.

Don't see why a Corsair would do it, but TrentePieds ranges like the devil when anchored over the bows. However, "lying the wrong way a bout" is no sweat, as long as you lie still and swing in unison with everybody else. Ranging in a crowded anchorage, however, is ALWAYS a problem for other boats as well as for yourself

But why worry? 24s and 30s are really only toy boats, and if your tackle is good, just anchor "normally", then, leaving your rode made fast to your bit or cleat in the "normal" way, grab the bight of your rode and take it aft outboard of EVERYTHING and belay it on a bit or sturdy cleat at the blunt end. The ranging will stop, and the ventilation will be improved :-)

The reason TrentePieds ranges is that she's raised deck forward, Pilothouse midships and squat aft. The lateral centres like to argue with each other when we are on the hook "normally". Like I said: "no sweat". Just let 'er have what she wants.

Getting underway you slip the rode from the bit aft. She'll come head to wind and begin to range gently, but that's not a problem since she is now under command. From there on you just do what the textbook sez.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 20:40   #29

Boat: Pearson 530

We did the same thing anchoring near Clinton, CT behind the breakwater. During the night a weather change brought the 1 foot of chop on our beam. The harmonics got our boat rocking enough to throw me out of bed. I got to the cockpit and couldn't believe the water was pretty quiet, but there we were rocking the night away. Three hours later with the dawns early light we hauled anchor and headed to Stonington. I'll never underestimate the power of the sea to humble my best thought out plans.

All U Get

Tags
anchor, wind