Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 15:32   #61

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Forget the Rolex. I had one and my $40 Casio kept better time, was more comfortable to wear and had a light so I could see in the dark.

On the other hand, the Casio didn't really impress the girls. Now that I think about it, neither did the Rolex but then maybe it was just me.
I don't own one, but I would look at a Rolex as just a fine piece of jewelry, an investment that doesn't depreciate and therefore a better value for the money than the sailboat.

I always wear either a Casio or Timex beater watch.
Old 08-02-2013, 15:35   #62

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

Different boats for different dreams.

If you want to cruise and are willing to shop smart and travel, you can find quite a few well built and maintained production boats in different parts of the world left there to be sold by aging "baby Boomers" who no longer have that "farr-off" look in their eye.

If you want to race. And WIN? All bets are off, "katie bar the door." Money is simply no object.

Lots of really delightful "trailer sailers" around you can pick up for a song. (This is still a buyers market). You can change cruising grounds, leave it in or take it out and put it on the trailer. Fun weekends---CHEAP.

It is REALLY important to go out and sail with friends. Crew on different boats. Find out what it is you really want. Let your "muse" speak to you and you will find happiness in boating.

Are you into cutoffs and clogs or blazers and ascots?
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:12   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofsalem View Post
Different boats for different dreams.

If you want to cruise and are willing to shop smart and travel, you can find quite a few well built and maintained production boats in different parts of the world left there to be sold by aging "baby Boomers" who no longer have that "farr-off" look in their eye.

If you want to race. And WIN? All bets are off, "katie bar the door." Money is simply no object.

Lots of really delightful "trailer sailers" around you can pick up for a song. (This is still a buyers market). You can change cruising grounds, leave it in or take it out and put it on the trailer. Fun weekends---CHEAP.

It is REALLY important to go out and sail with friends. Crew on different boats. Find out what it is you really want. Let your "muse" speak to you and you will find happiness in boating.

Are you into cutoffs and clogs or blazers and ascots?
Lol cutoffs and clogs.. At the minute just really enjoying our new found adventure. It's getting close to the time when we can set off for a truly magnificent experience with lots of countries to visit. So our planning is get a couple of sailing courses under our belts before we do anything. So really excited about where this adventure can take us. looking forward to new cultures, new people and new places and hopefully a bit of sun along the way..
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:18   #64

Does anyone have any idea how much on average it would cost me per month to live aboard on the Med. If I suggest, sometimes staying in marinas, eating out a couple of times per week, sometimes anchoring. Just an average cost not being to extravagant in life style. ???
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32   #65

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
New boats market must be a very tough place right now: in our 1000+ boats marina there has not been a single new one since 2008.

b.

In Canada it's a bit better but, of course, the market is smaller. In my small club (250 members), in the last few years, we've been getting three to five new boats a year. Mostly Beneteaus, some C&C's (now manufactured by Tartan) and Catalinas. Quite a few "new" used boats too. Mostly Island Packets for those thinking of heading south, bought in US and brought home. I think what's saved us is the real estate market has not tanked and the parity of our dollar.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

blazers and ascots do not fit into the cruising hanging locker....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Does anyone have any idea how much on average it would cost me per month to live aboard on the Med. If I suggest, sometimes staying in marinas, eating out a couple of times per week, sometimes anchoring. Just an average cost not being to extravagant in life style. ???
OK... life in the Med.. June, July and August the marina's empty... those 3 months are as expensive as the other 9... so most cruisers head for the many anchorages around the islands or just cruise futher afield and get fit pulling dinghy starter cords in anchorages...
Eating out is also another variable... front line is an arm and a leg to me... but go 2 or 3 streets in from the front where the tourist/local ratio is around 90/10 to the locals both the food and the prices improve... as do the clientele in some cases...
I drink local wine from the Bodega's.. take your own 25litre jug and choose from red or white 11% to 16%.. I find 14% (2euro/L) to be the best.. decanter advised... those jugs are heavy..
However... you may prefer Chateau la Flip Flop at 89euro/bottle..
No way to quantify me ole son...
Apart from I'd be very happy with 1000/wk...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:12   #68

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sailboat charter companies have published rates that reflect boat size, the time of the year and the location. You may want to compare these rates then add an additional 50%, to reflect reality. There are too many variables to consider when sailing. If you want a ballpark figure...estimate $200-$275 USD per person/per day. (Living on a boat for $500 USD per month, is not possible when you consider the cost insurance, maintenance and upkeep in addition to possible emergencies.) If you're going to sail the seven seas, you really should have at least $10,000 USD in the bank, in addition to the above ballpark estimate. Sailing is like flying...there is nothing cheap about either endeavor. If you can sail for less than what is stated above, then good for you! While going on a nice vacation, it is not the time to pinch pennies; otherwise it won't be a relaxing vacation that is full of worries. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:06   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Sailboat charter companies have published rates that reflect boat size, the time of the year and the location. You may want to compare these rates then add an additional 50%, to reflect reality. There are too many variables to consider when sailing. If you want a ballpark figure...estimate $200-$275 USD per person/per day. (Living on a boat for $500 USD per month, is not possible when you consider the cost insurance, maintenance and upkeep in addition to possible emergencies.) If you're going to sail the seven seas, you really should have at least $10,000 USD in the bank, in addition to the above ballpark estimate. Sailing is like flying...there is nothing cheap about either endeavor. If you can sail for less than what is stated above, then good for you! While going on a nice vacation, it is not the time to pinch pennies; otherwise it won't be a relaxing vacation that is full of worries. Mauritz
Thanks for your input will bear this in mind....
Old 09-02-2013, 12:06   #70

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe the sailing/flying parallel is catchy, but how adequate is it?

A small cruising plane is way more expensive than a small cruising boat (I believe).

A small plane will use plenty of fuel, will need access to airfields, and her crew will need some kind of land-based dwelling; while the wind is still free, anchorages (in many places) are free and a boat's crew can comfortably live onboard.

So I think after all sailing can be possibly less expensive than flying.

The 500 figure is not a humbug. We cruised the world on less than this - two crew and a small, but not too small, a boat.

Any sport can be made as expensive as one wishes, but it does not mean some of us can't have fun, and a lot of it, for way less than an average couple spends in their land life.

Choices.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:37   #71

I watched as a small float plane landed in the anchorage i was in in BC years ago. He taxied into the most protected, calm, shallow corner of the bay, threw out an anchor and pitched a tent on shore. What a way to cruise! Probaly left Seattle an hour earlier!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:10   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Handmade ??? I better get my wallet out :-))
Another word to make it more expensive, craftsmanship
Old 09-02-2013, 13:30   #73
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

New yachts are so expensive because there are people willing to/able to pay the big bucks. Yachts depreciate at a mind bogglingly fast rate...making a used boat (with all sorts of upgrades) incredibly cheap, f you have the money and are willing to pay the extra so you have newest. latest greatest model you can, but you can also find "previously owned" boats that have not only been upgraded, but had the "bugs" worked out of them alot less. You just don't get that "new boat smell". You do get alot more in the way of upgrades and an incredible amount of extra $ to make your own customizations and boat will be paid for sooner....giving you more money for cruising expenses.
What keeps the marine industry alive is people with more money than time and/or sense. Sailing is nopt a rich mans sport, you don't need a 6 figure boat (and the accompanying debt) to enjoy cruising.
Old 09-02-2013, 13:52   #74

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
blazers and ascots do not fit into the cruising hanging locker....
How bout a "tuxedo" t-shirt??
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:12   #75

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageofsalem View Post
How bout a "tuxedo" t-shirt??
I have a fake rolex.