Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 16:36   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
Does anyone have any idea how much on average it would cost me per month to live aboard on the Med. If I suggest, sometimes staying in marinas, eating out a couple of times per week, sometimes anchoring. Just an average cost not being to extravagant in life style. ???
Still depends. Marinas charge by the foot so a 60' will cost twice as much per night as 30' boat. Marinas also charge based on location. Marina close to town in a fancy location like the French Riviera could be 2-4 times more than one in a small town in Spain.

Boatman laid out the details on eating out.

So, assume a 40' boat a marina anywhere near a popular tourist area during the high season could easily cost $200/night or you might find one for $60-$80 in an out of the way location.

Eating out, gee don't you live in the UK? You would know better than I what restaurants cost in Europe but I've spent $5 for a meal and I've spent over $100.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 16:51   #77

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ya have to LOOK and decide how much boat ya really need ! Some folks don't need as much as others! I could live with a 30 ftr by myself, but with my "ole lady" we NEED more LOL so we bought our new to us boat, we went with 51 ft ! Way more then we had to have , but what we wanted and the price was sure right ! Not that much to fix but she's bilt by a strange method, but we can live with that !! Cus she's hell for stout !! so just keep lookin and sooner or later your gonna find the one ya can't live without !! just our 2 cents
Old 09-02-2013, 19:43   #78

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
Lightbulb Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts

You can only go so far and utility must triumph over style (faux or no).
I draw the "line in the sand" at fake CROCS. I will not buy them, they do not last.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Still depends. Marinas charge by the foot so a 60' will cost twice as much per night as 30' boat. Marinas also charge based on location. Marina close to town in a fancy location like the French Riviera could be 2-4 times more than one in a small town in Spain.

Boatman laid out the details on eating out.

So, assume a 40' boat a marina anywhere near a popular tourist area during the high season could easily cost $200/night or you might find one for $60-$80 in an out of the way location.

Eating out, gee don't you live in the UK? You would know better than I what restaurants cost in Europe but I've spent $5 for a meal and I've spent over $100.
Thanks for input much appeciated...
martymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 13:17   #80
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

I live on a 30' by myself and it is a tight fit, a friend of mine who has much bigger needs as far as space than I lives on a 30' boat with his wife and dog. He lives on a Catalina 30" and I live on a William Atkin design 30' (designed 75 years ago, for speed and to be a single hander) his cabin top is the same as the beam of my boat, I 4 1/2' of my boat is devoted to lazarette (I think he has about 6") the overall length of a boat is only a rough estimate. As far as cost, I paid $17,000 for mine (a wood composite) and he paid $10,000 for his (the new catalinas are 6 figures).
In a thread discussing the older designed narrow boats and the wider new boats...I responded "I chose grace over space" no one argued the point
Old 10-02-2013, 13:56   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
In a thread discussing the older designed narrow boats and the wider new boats...I responded "I chose grace over space" no one argued the point
Doesn't mean we agreed since a boat can sail great and still have space. The main people who disagree are those without the space!
Old 10-02-2013, 15:09   #82
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

My point was what works for one does not necessarily work for another, boats allow people more individuality (though marketing tries very hard to prevent it).
Old 10-02-2013, 15:37   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Doesn't mean we agreed since a boat can sail great and still have space. The main people who disagree are those without the space!
yeah, most of the newer beamier designs will likely sail circles around the traditional cramped ones too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 15:43   #84

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You guys are spoiled wussies! Whatever happened to putting together a bunch of logs wrapped in strong twine, then "cruising" down the rapids of the Colorado river? Now, that was some cruising! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 15:51   #85

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
You guys are spoiled wussies! Whatever happened to putting together a bunch of logs wrapped in strong twine, then "cruising" down the rapids of the Colorado river? Now, that was some cruising! Mauritz
Sounds like fun, but only if I can wear my blazer and ascot?
Old 10-02-2013, 18:13   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Boats are very expensive, to buy or repair. I'm always amazed by the amount of time to fix something on a boat. It's never easy nor can you scrimp. It's not that the guys are screwing off. It just takes that much time to do things right....

Why, again, do I own four of these things????
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 18:30   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
This year I will be looking to buy my first boat having been introduced to sailing by our friends. But on doing a lot of looking and comparing different makes is it just me but do you not think yachts of all shapes and sizes are expensive for what you get for your money.

Many buy used. Probably the best buy is in the Great Lakes. All fresh water and the season is only 4 months. Most are dock queens, only going out on the few nice weekends per summer. This means a well maintained older boat is like new. Water is cold and almost no chance of blisters. No rust and the rig will be like new.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 19:19   #88

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+

The hull is made of resin which is made of oil. The hull is hand layed (well most are), which take hundreds of man hours. The interior is handmade and is made of hard wood (not Ikea crap). Lead keel, diesel engine, mast, boom, sails and rigging are not cheap...all together they are a great deal! Go shop for an RV, now they are overpriced POS!
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:33   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbri View Post
Another word to make it more expensive, craftsmanship
Thanks Captainbri i was laugh my face off when i read your post. :-)
Old 11-02-2013, 14:05   #90

Re: Why is it so expensive for yachts ?

Sorry, but when I see the cost of some of these yachts/boats I generally think they are taking the p***. Yacht manufactures need to do things better. I think the reason the yachts are not selling in the numbers I thought they would have been is because they are excessively over priced. Or maybe its supply and demand. Don't build as many so creating a demand to drive up the price.

How can the price rise so drastically because the boat is one foot longer/bigger( yes a foot bigger not meters, just a foot). I would like to know what the average cost per sqm or foot is. Or what is the true extra cost for one extra foot of hull and body or extra inches on beam or extra foot in rigging.

Or is there a certain amount of snobbery involved in sailing ???. Does it cost that much to keep the rif raf out... I'm just thinking out loud.

Or is it when manufactures use words like "Craftmanship" then its licence to add another 10,000 onto the price. I wonder what other words they use to inflate the price...???

Just thinking out loud.... :-))