Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 09:08   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Lipari
Re: Why is finding/buying a boat so hard? What to do about it?

Totally agreed. Got so frustrated that I started building my own web site as a hobby (baloolist). Unfortunately never got to implement all the cool ideas you suggested (the downside of this being just a hobby...), but I'll put that on my list of new features!
Jeff
jeffgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 12:58   #47

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Brokers sometimes have events where their inventory is open for viewing, which is a great opportunity to see what a boat is like to be on/in. Doing things online is too limiting by itself.

Yachtworld.com intentionally leaves out information that would give power to the buyer - the broker is their customer. And the broker will flatter the boat, not just to push it but to get prospective buyers to contact them, and with luck buy some boat from them. (Similarly realtors hold open houses to get leads more than to sell that house.) By not including many useful details they again are encouraging prospects to make contact before making a judgement. Their interests are in getting prospects to buy one of their boats. Don't expect too much.

Regional sailing mags like Latitude 38 and 46° North have extensive listings, both from brokerages and individuals. Also Craigslist is a surprisingly good place to find a boat, however there is at least one unscrupulous seller there so don't pay any money before seeing the boat.

Keep in mind that brokers have a vested interest in keeping prices high, even if boats have to stay on the market longer. The owner is paying mooring and insurance so no cost for the broker to hold out for more. With those costs eating away at them many owners are more willing to deal than the brokers. Brokers can be very useful (especially for a noob), but a better deal may often be had by dealing direct. OTOH if a broker has a boat you want then feel free to make an offer below asking even if the broker discourages it. It's all about negotiating...

Just don't buy without making it contingent on passing survey, then pay for the best surveyor you can find.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 13:48   #48
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

"at least one" lol
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:14   #49

We’ve looked on both sailboatlistings and yachtword. Found our “new@ boat on Craigslist by expanding search area. Ok so it’s in key west and we’re in ny but heck it’s the right one for us. Haven’t been impressed by dealing w brokers ourselves. Just not the right fit. Craigslist is where we found the ones we’ve had.
snoozy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 14:33   #50

Create a "Boats for sale" folder in your browser bookmarks
Once you find something you like pres CTRL-D (PC), CTRL-D (Mac)
Choose the "Boats for sale" folder to save it in...
Steve Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 06:35   #51

Folks are a bit harsh here. Of course you can resort to pen and pencil or even 20th century tech like a spreadsheet. The OP is simply pointing out that a better tool could exist. I agree. In the age of web analytics, it would be immensely helpful for a website to remember your choices, ratings, and boat style to suggest other similar boats. Of course, if you know you want a Tartan 41, and will only consider that model, your search is easy. But perhaps you don't know, for example, which are all the centerboard, cutter-rigged, dual-rudder cruisers available. A smart search site would quickly recognize what you're looking for and make relevant suggestions that you otherwise may have overlooked. Seems like a great idea to me. If someone is willing to create that, they certainly have my support. There is still the issue of "garbage in, garbage out." If the boat's specifications are not properly detailed (as is often the case in yachtworld), then we're back to square one. A FSBO site would likely be better than a brokers-only site for that reason.
oscarkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 08:52   #52
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I don’t understand about not being able to create a list of boats that you are interested in: is your pencil broken, ballpoint pen out of ink?

He can't find the on button for those pre-techie age tools.....
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 03:59   #53

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Brokers just don't get back to me. Anyone else have that problem?

I've been emailing, calling, texting and only a couple have responded. Not sure what the deal is, inbox full and maybe it is not a cell phone I'm texting to. Since I'm often searching for boats in morning hours online I don't always call their phone, except today when I woke up a sleepy broker !! So I can call him back later.

But in general it is just so hard to get anyone to respond. Pretty much if you get back to me you've got a great chance of selling me a boat.

By the way, for all those saying "make a list", yes I did make a spreadsheet to track my search. It helps, but mostly helps me to see that brokers don't respond . I think about 3 out of 23 have responded and I've seen 2 of those boats.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 05:30   #54

Boat: Krogen 42

Brokers will respond to buyers not shoppers. They have to prioritize their time.
Old 30-05-2019, 06:00   #55
cruiser

Magical intuitive powers help them know which is which before even picking up the call.
Old 30-05-2019, 06:40   #56

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Brokerages, real estate, you name it, the plague of all businesses, failure of salesmen to follow through. One of the main reasons salesmen don’t succeed.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 09:05   #57

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian28 View Post
Brokers will respond to buyers not shoppers. They have to prioritize their time.
My emails and texts usually go like “I’m interested in seeing your Pearson 34, let me know if she is available and if I could see her this weekend “

Let me know how a buyer would phrase it.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 09:33   #58
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
Let me know your thoughts.

if you are looking for something better than Yachtworld .. good luck. As far as saving your boats .. ever tried bookmarks? As far as a sophisticated search .. good luck with that too. finally the best way to contact a broker is by phone or by their personal email usually found at the bottom of the listing. in my experience they ALWAYS respond.
Old 30-05-2019, 10:01   #59

Quote:
* Let boat inspectors or owners post inspection results so we don't have to have boat re-inspected 100 times
The survey is 'owned' by the person that pays for it (prospective buyer). The surveyor has no right to give, for free, to 3rd parties what I've paid for. The owner doesn't get a copy, the broker doesn't get a copy. The surveyor provides a copy to the person who cuts the check.

The prospective buyer will share sections of the survey which may need to be addressed, with the sellor/broker.

Quote:
* Have a seller and buyer communication channel with memory (keeps list of all messages between buyer and seller so we can see where things stand).
These sites provide anonity for a reason. The service is paid for by the sellor/broker. They decide whether they want you showing up at their doorstep or not

Quote:
* Arrange for viewing/inspection/test sail via online scheduling, notifications, etc.
These sites aren't in the business of managing the schedule of the sellor/broker. That is what the Contact Sellor/Broker feature is for.

Quote:
* Standard contracts for boat buying
These sites aren't in the 'Legal' department. Contracts are up to the parties involved. You don't see contracts on 'realtor.com' or 'Zillow' either.

Quote:
*Let people rate different boat styles, makes, models on a range of categories (cruising, racing, comfort, etc).
And so on.
These ads are paid for buy the sellor or broker. There is no way they are going to let users randomly submit ratings and comments. That would be suicide.

Honestly, I'm sorry this is frustrating, but the expectations are unrealistic.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 10:17   #60
cruiser

yes

A site oriented toward the buyers' interests would be fantastic, but the sellers would not cooperate, so how's the business model going to work?

Tags
boat, buying