Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2017, 10:05   #1

Why I Love Sailing (Video)

Strictly amateur, but a video I helped shoot & edit. Constructive criticism most welcome, we're trying to improve. Thanks

https://youtu.be/JccFZ9jJnPg
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 11:36   #2

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI
Re: Why I Love Sailing (Video)

Nicely done.

Thank,you.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 14:26   #3

Well, not much feedback, but I've had over 900 views, that's a new record for me. Hopefully that means I'm going in the right direction. Thanks to anyone here who viewed.
Old 24-01-2017, 15:39   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:44   #5
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I enjoyed watching it very much. Thanks!
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:08   #6

It's good. Some of the stills sequences changed too rapidly, for me, but I know that's the modern way. I didn't like the music, personally, but the style of it was appropriate. Good luck.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 05:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
It's good. Some of the stills sequences changed too rapidly, for me, but I know that's the modern way. I didn't like the music, personally, but the style of it was appropriate. Good luck.
Good observation. My earlier videos had much longer sequences, but all the successful online YouTubers (with thousands of subscribers and views) suggest moving very quickly - just as you note. I guess it comes down to the authors goal, personal taste/narrow audience or attracting viewers/extreme pace.
Old 25-01-2017, 06:06   #8

I love this video... and it's very personal... I could offer some criticisms... but why?

I find most vids of anything these days... or maybe for the last 20 years... too fast cut. I am an architect and love to savor the details... and the fast cutting we now have as standard denies me the opportunity to "savor" and explore.

In a sense we DO this because sailing for example... though it can be very fast paced... it's repeated again and again and we can deepen our understanding. Hell yeah... how amasing it is to being the groove with a chute for hours on end... It's sublime... You can't capture that in a 3 second clip and a caption. I don't know the solution.... But I return again and again to "good experience" because they are precious and fleeting.

Love the Over the Rainbow soundtrack... perfect choice!!!!!!!! and this version by Iz is very water based... look at his youtube of it!

Thank you so much....
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 06:15   #9

A few more comments...

I don't like the white frames for the stills... I would like to see some of them bleed and over lap more... even transparencies ... if possible...

I love your homage to crews... maybe put that at the end.

Also the still and the fabulous vids don't always work together. I love love love the vids and it makes me want to sail with YOU...

Sailing is an awakening... not a journey... you can journey in a boat... but the best thing which I think you reveal is how sailing awakens YOU (and us) to so much... inside... in nature... in science...philosophy... in everything... It can be communal or solitary...

It's pretty overwhelming... and you made a beautiful seductive presentation on your first try... I can't image what you could do in the second or third maybe with a pro to help a bit.
Old 25-01-2017, 06:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
Good observation. My earlier videos had much longer sequences, but all the successful online YouTubers (with thousands of subscribers and views) suggest moving very quickly - just as you note. I guess it comes down to the authors goal, personal taste/narrow audience or attracting viewers/extreme pace.
They are wrong... in my opinion... you need more time to absorb and savor... this is a comment from the MTV, smart phone millenial generation mind.

Sailing is not only windsurfing in 25 knots and 12' waves

Tags
sail, sailing