Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 13:37   #31

More thread drift

Alan,

If you're a reader, you might enjoy John Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez.

In 1940 Steinbeck did just what you are suggesting. An amateur marine biologist (much like his character Doc in Cannery Row), Steinbeck set of from Montery, California with two other men to collect and classify the various marine life of the tidal range in the Gulf of Mexico.

Because it's John Steinbeck, it's written well. Part scientific paper, part travelogue, part philosophical treatise on the meaning of life and human nature.

Maybe for some day then there's no wind, or you can't get any research concern to take you on.
Old 11-03-2006, 14:18   #32

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Going nuts

Some people can go stir crazy if left alone in a room for a while, are out at sea alone, or overdo the medication ( mescilin LSD type ) while others are quite content. It depends on the person. The tall English clergy guy, Tony Waite I think, was held hostage for over four years in the middle East. He came out as cheerful as ever, did not seem to faze him one bit. Many others would have problems. Another English guy in an early round the world race sailed in circles not too far off shore from England. He just reported ficticious positions while sailing nowhere. I think the Navies screening for submarine types might separate the potential loonies.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 14:22   #33

Boat: Got none but want one.
Wheels,
I think combining research or with sailing is an awsome idea! That kind of thing would be something I could seriously look into. If you ever find any links or good reads try to post as I wouldnt mind finding out more.
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 14:42   #34

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Allen,

When we were going down the coast of Mexico, back in '92-'93, I had this complete brainstorm.. Everywhere we went we'd meet up with people going "the other way" and we'd swap local info. What to see, what to avoid, where can you get diesil etc. So I thought wouldn't it be neat to write a computer program that you could store these different catigories of info linked to position. Remember GPS was a new and exiting thing back then. The idea was that when two people came togather they could hook the computers togather and merge the data. I figured in a coupe months you would have a really good picutre of local conditions everywhere.

I was so spun up on it that when I came home I bought some database software and started working on it. As we all know that was when this internet thing exploded and pertty much dinosaured my idea.

---

Don't get me wrong, cruising was one of the best things that ever happend to me. Everyone should do it at least once just to clear their heads. And NOTHING clears one's head like a cross ocean passage. Just don't blindy assume its the end all for the rest of your life. Maybe it is, maybe its not, depends on your makeup.

P.S. Still have the boat, just went and saw her just this monrning. Weather is -just- starting to get a little nicer up here in the PNW.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 22:37   #35
Kai Nui

Jim, define better? I was in Ridgefield yesterday, and it was snowing, hailing, and raining. Sometimes, all at the same time
Old 11-03-2006, 22:53   #36

Just got rain here in Phoenix, after over 143 days since the last rain storm.

Snow expected at 2,000 feet and above tonight. It's cold outside. Also I had no internet for a while there. I just managed to get online just a few moments ago!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 23:00   #37
Kai Nui

Weird weather. It snowed in Pebble Beach last night. One of my favorite local anchorages, and one of the most tropical looking anchorages north of San Diego. Now that is a reason to go sailing. You never know what you will see.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:56   #38

Boat: Got none but want one.
Was down to -20c a few weeks back and today its +7 and sunny with a very soft breeze. A very welcome improvement. Unfortunately its supposed to dip below 0 and snow again this week. . This year has been crazy for wierd weather!
Cavecreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 09:12   #39

This winter has have weird weather!!

And not just Canada. But also in the USA as well!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 12-03-2006, 10:23   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Our weather here has been totaly out of character. Our grape harvest is three weeks early. But the wind is just terrible. It should be calm here now. But it has been blowing a gale here day after day. And we have been getting southerly fronts flowign up the country at very regular intervals. It's a spring weather pattern smack bang were an Autum (Fall) pattern should be. Oh well, maybe it might mean a colder winter, which we haven't had for years.
OK so who's been stuffing up Global Warming????We had it just where we wanted it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:50   #41

Alan.

Don't always count on good weather for a certain number of years.

Global Warming or not. That has always been a changing factor!!

Old 17-03-2006, 12:47   #42

Boat: Swallowcraft Swift 40, Arabella
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexico Mike
The weather down here on the Mexican Riviera is a boring summer-like mid 80's every day with moderate breezes, cooling off at night enough to sleep, no rain since last October when it spit for a minute or two...

Thread kinda got derailed into meteorology, but to offer my 2 centavos to the original poster:

If it (cruising/living aboard in warm places) gets really boring, my first thought is that the boat isn't getting the maintenance it needs! As far as a feeling of accomplishment, I don´t know of anything that compares with actually pulling this thing off and getting out of the rat-race.

My wife and I really enjoy spending time with the local folks here in Mexico, getting to know them, and beginning to see things from their perspective.

I would never suggest anyone think that sailing away on a boat is going to make them happy if they haven't figured out how to be happy anyway, but we sure do love the lifestyle.

We also look forward to several months a year on land (working on our fixer-upper house in Oregon), and believe a balance of on and off the boat can be a good thing.

Don't know about offshore multiweek passages, but may try that next season. I'll let you know!
Best,
Mike ´n Barb

www.sailinglinks.com
Mexico Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 17:41   #43

Boat: currently "on the beach"
I would never suggest anyone think that sailing away on a boat is going to make them happy if they haven't figured out how to be happy anyway

Bingo ! We have a winner ! Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 14:37   #44

IF you have to ask, bla bla bla.
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 19:39   #45
Kai Nui

Ahhh... So true. The sea is calling. It is up to us to hear it.