Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 16:03   #76

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Why don't you want to sell your boat?

Lowball offers. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I once looked at an estate sale wooden sailboat that had been listed for a long time. She was an amazing boat originally, but absolutely filthy, with weird wiring all over the place, very old equipment (half of it worked), several major but repairable structural problems, etc. In other words, she was a first-class boat, old, and down at the heels. I offered about half of the asking price, which I thought was fair for her condition. The family rejected my offer, but came back a year later and asked if I was still interested. Went back and bought the boat, did a lot of work, eventually sold her for a bit more than I paid for her, and then the next owner did a lot of work, and then he sold her back to the original family owner for more than twice what I paid for her. Today I suspect she would sell for about four times what I paid for her. It goes to show that a boat's value is highly variable depending on many things. By the way, classic wooden boats are about the only ones that will appreciate in value.
Old 24-01-2013, 16:20   #77
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I've prospered on poor ads. When I bought magic the only pic that would blow up from a thumbnail was a pic of the broken mast. The first line in the auction said " mast and rig appear intact". I went down and crawled all over the boat and drained 2' of water from the bilge. The spotless engine spun right over, had air cond, refrigeration etc... All looking well maintained. I got the boat for the opening bid at $3k.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 18:57   #78

I'am a tire kicking BUYER, how else do you know? I'am sure the sellers are saying that I was only a tire kicker because I just walked away with no response, the reason, I did not want to hurt there feelings! lets see, the mast base sunk in 3 inches along with cabin sole , paint burnt off of the cylinder head ,light showing through the hull boat in the water,chain plate rot,cheap frig installed with sawzall not in photo, junk junk junk!
I would rather the broker think I was a tire kicker than tell him that I,am driving 7 hours to look at a boat, part of my buying strategy
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 19:30   #79

Boat: Endeavour 42

Seahag- My 40' sailboat is for sale. Contact me if interested. I have lots of pictures-and not one of a winch! Cptn Happy
Old 24-01-2013, 19:33   #80

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartorst View Post
I'am a tire kicking BUYER, how else do you know? I'am sure the sellers are saying that I was only a tire kicker because I just walked away with no response, the reason, I did not want to hurt there feelings! lets see, the mast base sunk in 3 inches along with cabin sole , paint burnt off of the cylinder head ,light showing through the hull boat in the water,chain plate rot,cheap frig installed with sawzall not in photo, junk junk junk!
I would rather the broker think I was a tire kicker than tell him that I,am driving 7 hours to look at a boat, part of my buying strategy
I would never worry about a broker's or seller's feelings and what they thought. They tend to have a pretty thick skin.

I would make one exception ... assuming I AM SERIOUS, I want them to "think" that and I would care that that message comes across load and clear; otherwise, just be honest about what you see and like or don't like.
Old 25-01-2013, 05:44   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I would never worry about a broker's or seller's feelings and what they thought. They tend to have a pretty thick skin.
Well, I've run into one or two who had awfully thin skin. But, like you, I still don't worry about their feelings. It's a business deal. That's all. We're not getting married. If they want to get all emotional about it, that's their problem (and may work to my advantage).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I would make one exception ... assuming I AM SERIOUS, I want them to "think" that...
Absolutely. When you find the boat that you are seriously interested in, you want the broker and seller to know that. You don't want them to think that you've fallen in love with it, because then they may think you're ready to pay anything for it (remember, it's still just a business deal). But you do want them to know that you're serious.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 05:56   #82

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Absolutely. When you find the boat that you are seriously interested in, you want the broker and seller to know that. You don't want them to think that you've fallen in love with it, because then they may think you're ready to pay anything for it (remember, it's still just a business deal). But you do want them to know that you're serious.
There is nothing wrong with saying you love the boat. In fact in negotiations it might help. Say you love the boat, would really like to own it BUT you are quite a bit apart as far as price goes.
Old 25-01-2013, 06:18   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why don't you want to sell your boat?

Quote:
I upset a broker in the BVI's back in '06.... said he'd never seen a deal fall apart so fast...
I went to look at Jeaneau at Nannys... liked what I saw and made a stated one off offer for it... 5k less than asking... with the declared desire for a swift resolution as it was costing me $200+/day in the hotel I was at...
Next morning he rang and started singing about how great the boat was etc... more money...
so I walked away and next day bought a 2yrs younger Beneteau ($60K) for $5K less from Moorings than I'd offered for the other boat.
The difference in cost paid for the equipment that the Jeaneau came with... dinghy etc..
and it was all new..

Serious comes in many forms...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 06:26   #84
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
There is nothing wrong with saying you love the boat. In fact in negotiations it might help. Say you love the boat, would really like to own it BUT you are quite a bit apart as far as price goes.
Nothing wrong with admitting you love the boat etc, as long as you can seperate it from business. Just a matter of timing, a declaration of love within 10 seconds always sounds bit odd! - some things best left a little while .

IMO far more useful (as a negotiating strategy) to not have been bullshitted early doors into signing a contract to buy along with paying a substantial deposit before even in a position to decide whether are interested (if "you" have not even seen the boat, or only had a quick once over how can anyone sane value the boat (for them) let alone decide to buy? ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 06:45   #85
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
If the buyer doesn't want to negotiate, wants to pay more than full price, and doesn't even want to bother seeing the boat... HELLO! Huge red flag here. You don't need to ask him his age or his profession. You need to tell him that you will not release the boat until AFTER all monies have cleared, through your bank and all the way back to his. That will send the scammers running.

Frankly, most such scams are so obvious that you have to be awfully gullible to fall for them. It only takes a little due diligence to avoid the overwhelming majority of scams.
+1

But if anyone is having problems seperating scammers from the genuine then the answer is easy .......let me handle the money side of the transaction for you .

Not only is this service free, but you will also get 10% more than the sale price. Guaranteed. (the money is simply invested overnight on a back to back basis in the Bank of England inter-bank revolving credit derivatives market (as part of the UK-USA QE program to create fiscal stability). It's normally only accessable by those trading on a full commercial basis and with existing cross party multilateral trading guarantees, but I have special permission to deal with the Public - but only for a short period).

What could possibly go wrong?

PM me .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 06:58   #86
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

PM sent....

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 25-01-2013, 09:08   #87

Boat: Catalina 30

I think this ad gives all the info I need to know:

26' Rawson Sailboat - $500 (freeland)
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 09:27   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongleur View Post
I think this ad gives all the info I need to know:

26' Rawson Sailboat - $500 (freeland)
Needs a bottom paint...
Someones nicked the engine...

Old 25-01-2013, 11:25   #89

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Why's he asking so much for that boat?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:07   #90

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Never sold but when we bought I made an appointment to meet the owner at the boat so we could have a peak inside. Drove one hour one way and he did not show, still to this day has not answered my calls or emails. Turns out we bought a boat in the same marina that we stumbled across while my eyeballs were still bleeding from being stood up. Go figure.
We had that an episode similar happened to us last summer when we went to look at a boat in St. Petersburg, Fl. I emailed the guy and called him, he never called me sent me his phone number after I had included mine in the email. He gave me a name of a marina in St. Petersburg and we agreed to meet that Saturday at 1300. We drove all the way down and went to the marina office to inquire what slip he was in. The office person checked and said no one was there with that type of boat nor was there a slip tenant with that name. So I tried to call him with no answer.

He finally called back Sunday morning and asked what my problem was. He said the database in the office was wrong and the person was new. (She had told us she worked there for over 10 years and loved the place) I asked him where he was and he said he decided to go sailing.

Years ago when we bought our first boat we lived in DC and found a boat on Yachtworld that looked very interesting with great pictures. I called the broker and we drove over a 150 miles to the east shore of Md. I do not know how old the pictures he put on Yachtworld where but what we saw was a complete wreck. My wife was so upset this mild woman who rarely loses her composure got so angry she told the broker point bland what she thought of the boat, of his ad and pictures, and then what she thought of him and the owner for the deception. He told he did not understand what she was upset about.

We didn't learn our lesson called a broker close to Newport News, Va. about a boat down there. Look good again on Yachtworld and he took an oath that it was a true representation. It may have been but we never found out since when we got there he took us to an Italian built boat that look like it was out of a Bond movie. We asked him what was going on he told us the other boat had sold 2 days before and was no longer available. This time I did the telling off and I am not even close to be the diplomat my wife is. I guess the 10 years in the mines before going to college and becoming "white collar" surfaced.

At the same time we have had excellent results with the boats we have bought. All 3 times the boats have turned out to be as advertised and the pictures were true. Like any transaction there always are quirks that show up but never the outright deception of the episodes I described above.

I remember a broker in Annapolis, Md. who showed us several boats. He never had one we could make a deal on but he sure was fun to talk to and had a lot of interesting stories about sailing, racing, and boating in general. Always spited me we lost touch when I retired and moved to Florida.

My side is strictly as a buyer and I know there are a lot of good sellers and brokers because we have encountered them. But if you are selling or brokering you need to make sure your ad reflects a positive picture of the boat without being deceptive. I have seen ads by brokers with boats that the sails are on the bunks, clothing strewn all through the boat, dirty dishes in the galley and on the table, etc... That turns me off and even though it may be the perfect boat I never bother to make contact about it.

I've called brokers and left voice mails with no call back. I've only dealt with 2 private sellers and both were nice, polite, and responsive to inquiries.
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote