Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 06:53   #151

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Why Don't You Want to Sell Your Boat?

Congrats seahag, sounds like you got the right boat at the right price.

As for the broader question regarding the value of boat brokers, I think those of us who operate in the lower end of the market have to realize that being a broker is a commissioned business. Their potential revenue from a low-end sale is quite small. They have to put food on the table and a roof over their heads as well, so any professional broker will have to do the math, and figure out how many hours they can devote to any given sale. They will have to limit their time to what they deem the best potential buyers, ignoring what they see as "tire-kickers."

As someone who has bought and sold low-end boats I can tell you, there are a lot of tire-kickers. I don't fault tire-kickers ... it's part of the buying process. But it's naive to think a professional broker can afford to spend the same amount of time on a low-market boat as a high market. It's just basic financial math. This math can be altered if a broker is looking to establish a long-term relationship with a seller or a buyer, but that a financial gamble.

This is unfair to the potential buyers, who have every right to receive full service from a broker. But it is also unfair to the sellers, who essentially get a half-@ss effort from their broker. This is why I strongly believe that if you're operating in the lower end of the market (which is where I live ) then it is far better to avoid brokers entirely. It's better for the seller, it's better for the buyer, and it's probably better for the broker. The downside, of course, is that it does require the seller to do a lot more work.

Sometimes reality sucks .
Old 10-04-2015, 08:22   #152

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

It's not like all I did was buy a new boat. I had a few distractions, like moving 3500 miles to Alaska, gettting a new job and working hard there to establish myself, and still dealing with old business in Wisconsin...sure must be fun for people on this forum to summarily round up things so easily, lump it in a ball of wax, and throw it on the internet as though they know the first thing about it. What a joke.

The whole point was to show that I have been a serious buyer, and really frustrated with the process.

And, here's how serious. I know every single boat in Alaska that has been listed for sale, in any capacity (Really). I have been to every marina that is drivable, except one. I flew out on several trips to the lower 48 and Canada to check out boats. When I did that, I tried to line up as many good viewings as I could. If the right combination would appear, I could offer on the spot. Most of the good connections and communication was with private owners, not brokers. One broker even said that he didn't make enough money on used boats to be thorough with follow through. So why even do it? Just to get tradeins on new IP's and Jeanneaus, etc.

Thanks to those who congratulated me. Hope to share a lot of good information on here with you.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 20:07   #153

I don't want to sell my boat because I love it.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 18:50   #154
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

your experience has been my experience exactly over the past year. it boggles the mind. i guess they have tons of money and could give a rats arse. i just dont get it either.

it doesnt take a rocket scientist to to know that showing 15 pictures of your boat on craigslist (every single one of them upside down or sideways) is probably not going to get you many replies.

i think the thing that aggrevates me the most is the guy showing 20 beautifull pictures of the boat he is selling now, all taken 15 years ago. seriously? wtf?
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 19:05   #155

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Why don't you want to sell your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
Doodles,
My search function on the kindle doesn't work--when I click on it, as soon as I try to type the first letter, the keyboard disappears. So, no searching capability with it.

What do the threads tend to say?

Want to sell your boat?
That happens to me too on my android tablet. Log out and do your searches as a non registered user / guest.

As for the boat rant.....we haven't begun a serious search yet, but one boat we looked at on yacht world was listed at 75,000 but the picture of the v berth was really a picture of piles of crap. It gave the impression there was something to hide.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 21:12   #156
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: Why don't you want to sell your boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I've prospered on poor ads. When I bought magic the only pic that would blow up from a thumbnail was a pic of the broken mast. The first line in the auction said " mast and rig appear intact". I went down and crawled all over the boat and drained 2' of water from the bilge. The spotless engine spun right over, had air cond, refrigeration etc... All looking well maintained. I got the boat for the opening bid at $3k.
Wow. Stored in two feet of water and the engine was spotless? How have I missed flooding an engine in water as a preservative!
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 04:29   #157

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

On our previous boat, the bilge could have 5' of water before contacting the engine. Heck, our catamaran can have 3' of water in the bilge before touching the engines.

It is kind of the purpose of a bilge...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 04:35   #158
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i can have 2 ft of water inmy bilge and still have a dry engine an ddry floorboards..lol.. some boats are built like that. not all have flat non serviceable bilges like my ericson had. so the claim made is valid.
i looked from 1990 until 2004 for the boat i wanted. i actually watched it fro 4 yrs before buying it. i am glad i did this way.
why i will not sell it?? because i LOVE the damned thing, and it is my favorite home ever and despite its problems, they are easily repaired and accessed. yes i LOVE this boat.
why not sell it?? because i will never ever in my life find again this kind of deal i got on this boat.

as for brokers--i have had all kinds of experiences with those ... chose not to use em after i couldnt get a westsail 32 i realllly wanted. good thing, as i adore this boat totally despite wrinkles and glitches.

i found the bestest ever deals are not found via a broker, aka used car salesman.

never ever ever trust the pix in a used boat site...rodlmffao--just ask th efolks who bought a sight unseen alleged cruise ready alleged yacht in mexico from a broker i know..... oops....they got a pile of *****. sadly , brokers are not known for their representation of boats as they actually are.
dear man with my name in english, i hope you afre able to find that which you need-- but i woud definitely recommend sleazing around places with boats and see what ye can find sin broker.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:37   #159

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I have been trying to buy a boat for about 6 or 7 months. It has been an expensive education. So far between a buyers broker, surveyors, travel, and other expenses I am out about 12K and still no boat. Boats that have beautiful pictures and claim to be cruise ready are complete junk. One was so bad the surveyor did not want to take it on a sea trail unless we only sailed on a port tack because a mast rigging line had multiple broken strands. And so many ads leave very basic information out. Tell me the year, number of cabins and heads, engine HP and hours, ground tackle, age of standing rigging, and location or I will not consider looking any further.

Pictures and claims in ads are mostly fantasy. I would do things different again. No buyers broker. Although helpful with answering questions and very knowledgeable, they only found one potential boat, I found all the others. And they wanted to be paid a "consulting fee" for reviewing all the boats I found. If they had done the leg work to find them, maybe they would have eliminated them before reviewing them. So no buyers broker ever. And going forward I always hire a surveyor to go look and do a walk through and get his basic assessment of the boat before moving forward. Most will do this for a small fee and refund part of it if you end up doing a full survey. Has saved me a couple of trips.

Any thing left out of an ad is done so because it's not good news. If they don't tell you the engine hours then they are very high. If they neglect to tell you about the sails, it's because they all need to be replaced. Information left out of an ad is done so for a reason.

Charter boat pictures were all taken when the boat was new. However they do have the best descriptions and detailed information about their boats.

Sellers all lie about their boats. Maybe because they love them, but they all lie. Brokers are very willing to pass on those lies to you. "The seller told me.........."

Oh well, I am off to Florida tomorrow and then to the Caribbean to look at a potential boat and to have another one surveyed. Might be the one.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 06:01   #160
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sellers with abused boats lie. i didnot lie about my ericson and it took 7 years to finally sell.
SAME WITH USED CAR, yet no one whines and moans when buying used cars, a sthis is EXPECTED--
so go out and loook at boats.
sail boats. learn boats. learn the good and thebad and what to look for and how each sails.
have fun. it is not a quick job, buying a boat. enjoy all the aspects of it, and be patient grahsshoppaahhh
funny thing these days folks all worried on appearance goup and not know how to sail the boat they bought. is not understandable and yields failure early on.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 06:15   #161

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
So far between a buyers broker, surveyors, travel, and other expenses I am out about 12K and still no boat.
//
Oh well, I am off to Florida tomorrow and then to the Caribbean to look at a potential boat and to have another one surveyed.
Sorry to hear you're having an expensive time finding the right boat. As Zeehag wrote, try to enjoy the experience and accept that it's not a quick thing.

As to the surveys: normally -at least, where I am- a survey is about the last step in the buying process. That means the boat has been checked as thoroughly as possible by yourself (and maybe a friend with more experience / knowledge) and you've made an offer pending survey. Usually, you've seen a boat at least twice before the survey.

Taking a surveyor with you earlier on is not a problem of course, and you can learn a lot from a good surveyor, but yeah ... money will go fast that way

More on topic
It differs greatly from ad to ad, but if the ad leaves too many questions or the pics are bad, I usually just skip the boat / ad all together. Plenty of boats out there.