Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 06:05   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
why do you accept those prices ???

Sailing this year in Caribbean I noticed an exegaration in price on boat boys , doesn't matter what they offer is always expensive it didn't care much since nobody force you to pay them but arriving on ST Vincent with no cash on board and no bank on shore to get cash(the same happened before to Africa hehe ) I decided to tell the boat boys the truth sorry man I can't get cash , some of them thought I am lying but other usually the younger ones believed me and visited just to meet us (my girlfriend is African so she attract attention ) .
From them I learned that the island is full of fruits you can pick up for free and they even offer to us some of them and show us where to go and pick up .
The next day I walked to find a bank , unfortunately my CC was declined from the ATM(damn Greece and capital control ) , announcing that to a new friend he took me on a 5.minutes swim from.the anchorage and showed me how easy is to get lobster , and where to fish for tunas .
The next day 5 in the morning we went fishing and came back with 2 sizeable tunas one for us and one I have to my friend to sell .
Another man came selling bananas I told him.that there are no cash but still asked him the price he told.me 20 EC my girlfriend asked plainly " why so expensive ????" And he told us that he buys from the market and resell to the sailors so the price goes higher .

So now after experience this my question is :
Why do you sailors accept to pay 5 to 7 USD for a shore line or even 40 us for a tuna ????(and let's not mention the lobster price where I even made profit )
I believe that those in high budget just don't care and won't to avoid the trouble bit the rest ??

gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:16   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
why do you accept those prices ???

Several reasons
One is sometimes I see an enterprising person who gets off his butt and is working to provide a service.
As an old guy, I respect that and have a tendency to reward it and will throw a few bucks their way. It similar to tipping someone well when you can tell they are busy, but work hard to give good service.

a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31   #3

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: why do you accept those prices ???

Look at this way, some folks are on a charter and don't mind spending a lot in those 3weeks.
Others have just been very successful and lucky and do not mind to much either.

Usually the rest has to struggle with the results of the prices which the other two groups accept.
That includes most of the true liveaboards.

Mind you the people on the island also have to live and do want to live as good as they can.

Basically it's a market economy, if we all like it to be that to this extent is another issue.

While globalization is good for big businesses its much harder on the smaller players.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:42   #4

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Chartering is expensive, so it naturally follows that those who are chartering are reasonably well-off and time-constrained enough to pay for the convenience of boat-side service. Same if you have a posh boat.

For many of those destinations, cruisers are an important part of the economy. Can't blame them for charging what the market will bear. It's not like they're getting rich off of it.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:44   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

$40 USD for a tuna? $20 EC for bananas?

We sail in the Caribbean every year including St. V and have never seen such prices. On the contrary, it’s everything that isn’t imported costs far less than here in the U.S.

Exaggeration?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
$40 USD for a tuna? $20 EC for bananas?

We sail in the Caribbean every year including St. V and have never seen such prices. On the contrary, itís everything that isnít imported costs far less than here in the U.S.

Exaggeration?

Those are the prices that were going around yesterday, I show people buying and thsts why I question here .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16   #7

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

You can buy it your self at the local markets, At the locals prices,

Dont ever buy any thing where the tourists gather to buy things, very expensive,

Walk down the road half a mile where the tourists dont go, Local prices,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:44   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i just tell the boat boys their prices are too cheap......that really confuses them!

if i do trade with them i generally prefer to use cheap stuff that i have bought in bulk from charity shops before leaving europe like Tshirts,sunglasses, deodorant,dive masks,digital watches ,pencils and paper,2 stroke oil etc bought specifically for trading in out of the way places.

that way i generally get the better deal!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:51   #9

Why tip the pizza delivery guy when you go pick it up yourself? Why buy a pizza when you can make one yourself.

Someone is spending time and labor to bring a good or service to your doorstep at your convenience. You don't have to buy it, but there is no point in begrudging someone the right to make a living.

Get it yourself, haggle, or decline. Criticizing a capitalist economy is senseless.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:52   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like market capitalism at its finest .

Same reason most ďmarineĒ items cost a lot more than the same item sold at a hardware store. Smaller market loaded with a lot of deep-pocketed consumers.

The problems arenít so much with us tourists. Itís the distortion these artificial prices cause to the local economy. It can have a serious impact on people who are not in this artificial tourist market. Thatís the real reason tourists should be careful about over-paying for items.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:08   #11

I don't suppose the OP would appreciate it if someone else thought that he was paid too much for what he did. Capitalism works in funny ways.

---

A mathematician is having problems with a leaky sink, so he calls a plumber.
The plumber comes over and quickly fixes the sink. The professor is happy until he gets the bill. He tells the plumber, "This is outrageous! You charge more for an hour than I make in a whole day!"
The plumber tells him, "You know, we are always looking for more plumbers. You could become a plumber and triple your salary. Just make sure you say you only made it to 6th grade, they don't like educated people."
The professor takes him up on the offer and becomes a plumber. His salary triples and he doesn't have to work nearly as hard. But after a few years, a law gets passed that all licensed plumbers must have at least an 8th grade education...Not wanting to admit he lied on his application, he signs up for night classes.
On the first day of night school they all attend math class. The teacher wants to gauge the class so he asks the former mathematician, "What is the formula for the area of a circle?"
He walks up to the board and realizes he has forgotten the formula. So he begins to attempt to derive the formula, filling the board with complicated mathematics. He ends up figuring out it is negative pi times radius squared, but he knows that's incorrect, so he starts over, but again he comes up with the same equation.
After staring at the board for a minute he hears one of the plumbers in the class behind him whisper, "Switch the limits on the integral, dummy!"
Singularity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:30   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

As to effects of tourist prices on locals -

An old friend of mine lives in Key West - she makes her living playing guitar & singing down at Mallory Square every night. She's far from rich, but one of the happiest people I know.

Anyway, we're down there visiting her and after she's done we're going to give her a ride home. As we're walking to the car we decide to grab some hamburgers at a food truck. Three burgers, 3 french fries, 3 cokes.

"That'll be $73 please".

My husband goes reaching for his wallet, but my friend stops him and just greets the guy behind the counter and tells him we're with her.

"Oh, hi Liz - OK that'll be $40 buck even".

She tells us that all over Key West there are two price lists, tourist and local. It's the only way they can afford to live and work there.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:36   #13

I've seen completely different local vs foreigner pricing in countries posted in writing, where the local language uses non-Arabic numbers.
john61ct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

The same artificial inflation effect happens all across the economic range. In Vancouver, housing prices have gone through the roof in large part due to an influx of rich foreign buyers. This has made it very hard for local people to buy, or even rent.

Local economies have always been victim to distortions brought in by foreign wealth. Thatís why we should always be cognizant of our impacts as we move around the globe.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48   #15
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Things are only expensive if they are expensive to ta person willing to pay for something.

For me "expensive" changes with things like mood and hassle.

Tags
price