Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 05:36   #1
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

i don't mean, why do they offer the service, but why to they have to sell it?
i cannot think of one item that cost $190 a year i would be better off for owning.
self selling, yes?
but i keep getting ads and sales pitches thrown at me like they need to convince me.

this was just e-mailed to me.
BoatU.S. offers higher option Towing Services which cover you up to the specified level in the event you become stranded on the water. The average cost of a tow is approx. $600 and a soft ungrounding, $800. See www.boatus.com/towing for pricing options.does anyone cruise without it? and why?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:54   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Not sure I entirely understand, but re "why they sell"...its business, purpose of business is to make profit, thus more sales ad marketting.

Ive never carried towing insurance, because I have not needed it. In decades of boating Ive only once taken a commercial tow...and that just for a short distance due to engine failure on approach to a narrow pass. Also, not much use if you are cruising outside USA waters...where Ive been since 2004.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 05:57   #3
cruiser

Re: Why do they sell towing coverage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Also, not much use if you are cruising outside USA waters...where Ive been since 2004.

this is so very true. i would think they will slowly expand.
i hope so. but then my plan is to tie up my dingy, and use that to get up to a dock, or wherever.
Old 23-09-2013, 06:12   #4

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

If you get grounded once, you'll wish you had it. If you are cruising south Florida, you will likely go aground. Minimum of $500 to $600 to get you off.

My one time grounded on Kentucky Lake $580, but I had BoatUS coverage and my cost was $0.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:40   #5

Something I learned living in SW FL was to always watch for anchored tow boats...they know where boats tend to go aground and just sit and wait for business. If you see them, double check you nav.

Outside of USA waters, if you go aground, it is self assist or get assistance from locals and other cruisers. Particularly for monos, learn all the techniques for getting off the bottom...with cats you have fewer options...esp if hard aground on both hulls.
Old 23-09-2013, 06:42   #6

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Seatow and towboat us really do not like trying to unground sailboats as they often incur damage. Still good to have if you have a breakdown.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 06:57   #7

Just renewed insurance on my boat and noticed it does have a "towing" category on the coverage, I do not carry it, but will research the details...might be a more useful coverage outside of USA waters.

In addition the policy does provide limited coverage for "efforts to minimize damage" (80%) and hurricane haul out (50%).
Old 23-09-2013, 07:16   #8

In the states I carried it and I still don't think it's a half bad idea. I bought a BBQ mount (just the mount, mind you) for $80 so in the big spread of costs to mariners tow boat insurance is pretty small.

Now that I'm outside the states and that sort of thing is completely unavailable, it's all on the skipper to not screw up and if you do screw up to figure out a way to get out of it.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:21   #9

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I am Not affiliated with TowBoatUs in any way other than a very happy customer. ! month ago my son and I were headed home on the ICW when my engine began to overheat more than it should have. I have the "Gold Membership" that includes unlimited towing> I made the call and within 30 mins, I was in tow to my dock that took 4 hrs. I have had this insurance since 2002 and never had to use it. My Towing charge was $1,500 but No cost to me>>>ZERO just as J Clark experienced in Kentucky.
The insurance covers the individual as a policy, not a particular boat. If you rent or borrow another boat, the coverage is their for you regardless. If you travel the ICW, there are those that have run aground and then it's a matter of time until you run aground. I'm just saying this because I live on the St. Johns River and close to the ICW. Just my opinion.....good luck with your decision.

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 07:55   #10
cruiser

decision? not hardly.
day 6 on the yacht, i ran aground in low tide in 6' of water, behind a sheriff boat that said, follow me.
1 hour later the tide came in and no issue.
a few days before we take off for FL i will have the best coverage.
Old 23-09-2013, 08:27   #11

I think on another Post that some have recommended giving BoatUS a call for "local" advice when enter some ports. I concur. St. Augustine, Fl and Ponce Inlet at Daytona are to close by examples for me as they are constantly changing due to shoaling and TowBoat will give good current advise.

If you do go "inside" to the ICW, it's good to know how to "kedge off" when grounded if you aren"t close to any assistance or wait for a tide to change. Bad part of that is in Georgia it can be a hefty tide change sometimes of 5-6 feet. That
s a lot for us, nothing for many I'm sure.

Even with all the tough comments you have received, I can tell you are still very excited and looking forward to your new adventures. Life is good.....

S/V Water Wings
Old 23-09-2013, 08:28   #12

I ran aground twice in August, 2010 and decided to buy a Boat US unlimited towing package. It has been worth the money as I haven't run aground since.
Old 23-09-2013, 08:37   #13

Boat: Catalina 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I ran aground twice in August, 2010 and decided to buy a Boat US unlimited towing package. It has been worth the money as I haven't run aground since.
+1

It also keeps the stress level of the Admiral a bit lower knowing a tow is just a call away.
Old 23-09-2013, 08:41   #14

Re: Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

scoobert...I just read your "blog" and was unable to leave a comment.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I would like to say more but not here.

S/V Water Wings
Old 23-09-2013, 08:47   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Why do they sell Towing Coverage?

I guess I'm hopelessly old fashioned when it comes to my ideas about self reliance. I have done approx 2000 miles of US inland waterway cruising entirely dependent on my engine and 20,000 miles of offshore cruising, plus lots more near coastal cruising.

I keep my boat well maintained and use a kedge anchor if I run aground.