Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2006, 17:35   #16
Kai Nui

I think the point about boomers is a good one. But, there is hope. I am amongst the first of the Gen Xers, and Many of my peers are just getting into cruising. They seem to be leaning towards smaller boats like the Aries 32, and Catalina 30's. Who knows? Maybe the Hess Northseas 27 will be the next big seller
As for the type a's, we all have our passions. For some it is wealth. For some of us aquiring wealth is strictly something we do so we can go sailing. In fact, the only problam I have with work is it interferes with sailing
Old 14-01-2006, 06:37   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I like my big boat. It is my favorite asset. There is nothing like a completely self contained boat when out cruising. I have found that when I do not settle for something and buy what I like I am much more satisfied. When I go to boat shows I only go through 2 or 3 boat because I am happy with the boat that I have.
Old 15-01-2006, 02:49   #18

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
The simple answer is

because they can afford them. They can't always afford the time to enjoy them, but they can afford the boat.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:22   #19

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Because they can

And finally we get the correct answer. Thank you.

Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:23   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Kai Nui once whispered in the wind:
As for the type a's, we all have our passions. For some it is wealth. For some of us aquiring wealth is strictly something we do so we can go sailing. In fact, the only problam I have with work is it interferes with sailing
I'm with you Kai Nui......

Just like the biker's saying "live to ride and ride to live!"
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2006, 13:24   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

True, True. And what is wrong with that? Why buy hamburger if you can aford a steak?
Old 15-01-2006, 14:16   #22
Kai Nui

Makai,
That is where the boat owners are seperated from the sailors.
And Gunner, So true!
Of course, this does not mean that a 28 footer with oil lamps can not be steak for some. It would be interesting to see how many of the new boat first time buyers, go to a smaller boat for their next purchase.
Old 15-01-2006, 14:21   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One thing I am not is a NEW anything buyer. I could not aford a new boat the size of mine and have much money to cruise on. I would have to go back to work fulltime! Then I would not have tome to use it. Catch 21.
Old 15-01-2006, 14:41   #24
Kai Nui

THey do not make a new production boat that fits my needs anyway. Although I have to admit, the Bavaria 47 sure is nice. But I digress, If I had unlimited funds, a subject I am sure most of us has considered, I would have a boat built. It would be in the 38' range, and it would be wood. THere are others that would imediately move up to a 65 footer, but I am not one of them. My sailing experience has brought me to the conclusion that this is the largest boat I am comfortable single handing, and the smallest boat I am comfortable living aboard. This is my compromise zone. It may be different for others, but that is my number. I have great respect for a sailor that can handle a 65' sloop in a storm, but I do not claim to be that good.
Old 15-01-2006, 15:02   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would look at the Valiant 50. I really like them, but at about $600,000. for a new one I will just Happily keep my old girl. She is my big baby.
Old 15-01-2006, 15:14   #26
Kai Nui

Gunner, have you read Denny Moores books? He is another proponent of big boats. It really makes the point though, that the right size boat is user specific. Look at sailors like Mortessier, and Tristan Jones. Mortessier's boat was a 40' ketch. Tristan's favorite was the 21' Sea Dart, and before that, 34' Cresswell. Of course, these dimensions are specific to monohulls, I don't even want to start on multis.
Old 15-01-2006, 19:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have not read any of the books you mentioned. It is all about what you like or want. For awhile I was thinking that a bigger boat than what we have would be nice when the time came, But I have changed my mind. What we have can be a handfull, more would be to much. We are thinking of getting a second furler so the boat will be sloop rigged and the head sail will have more options in heavy weather. Now I reef by droping the main ind furling the gen. The boat sails very well with gen and mizzen.
Old 15-01-2006, 19:53   #28
Kai Nui

I am a big fan of Ketch rigs. Jib and Jiggers is one of my favorite sail combos. In 35kts, it makes for a lively, but comfortable sail. I have single handed my 40 footer several times, but it becomes more work than fun. You have a hell of a boat. My best friend has an Endeavor 43 that he sails solo, and I have been through some weather on that boat. FWIW Endeavors and Irwins are very similar. One issue with the Endeavor is the heith of the main boom. In order to reef the main, I have to climb onto the first mast step. I consider this a very dangerous setup. But, that is just my opinion. My friend loves his boat, and it fits him. He 6'6", so he can reach the boom enough to reef without climbing. It has made it a challenge to find a suitable sailing partner though At one point, I considered a 50' Baltic trader. I was up to the project, but when I started to consider my ability to handle the rig in rough seas, I decided not to buy it.
I did contribute an opinion to your thread about the inner furler, and I agree with installing one. I think anything that makes sail handling easier, and therefore safer is a good idea.
Old 16-01-2006, 00:08   #29

Boat: Saint Francis 50 Sailing Catamaran
I enjoy reading Hal's clean cut sensibility as well. I'm working on "How to sail around the world" now (basically his cruising tips tricks and anecdotes). While Hal represents the true adventurer, Sean on the Material Possessions thread makes a great point, "you're lucky if you can get your wife to buy in on a long term cruising plan" (paraphrased). I think that the constant increase in the number of boats afloat has a lot to do with the general ability to field one with better amenities and more space inside. In my experience you have a much better shot at moving the wife into a 45'er than a 27'er.

The primary use for these boats in Marina Del Rey seems to be as a party platform. What the heck, a Beneteau 473 is cheaper than a beach house!

Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe. -- HG Wells
RandyAbernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2006, 05:32   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Speaking of luck

My Wife made to deal on the boat. I was going to buy it no matter what and she had a fit. I backed off and she took over and played hard ball. I figured that I would have to pay more later but if I let her do what she wanted she would be off my back. When she got done we had $29000. off! That was enough to pay for a new engine and genset. And I have the advantage of being able to say anytime that I spend money on the boat "you should'nt have bought it"!!!