Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 11:07   #1
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Why are lurkers not joining..

For me the most obvious reason is that it has gone from a 'Sailors Forum' that I joined in 2010 where there were folk like me who hung in there no matter what..
We gave up lots to indulge in our passion.. Clubbing, social drinking, eating out in restaurants and much else.
We yanked each others chains often but slowly and steadily the tone has changed.. the cry babies seem to rule the roost screaming 'Foul' to the Mod's.. where once there were many with sub 40ft boats its become a sneer if your smaller and a downright insult if you anchor next to some members in a 30ftr.
Guys.. It aint the size of the dong your swinging.. its more can you use it.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15   #2
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Why are lurkers not joining..

I must not ........ post :dan ger:
Old 08-12-2018, 11:30   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This is the 2nd thread we've had on this subject recently. We're still having new members pop up.

Threads like the one for seized injectors removal started by Wotname had a helpful following. Others have been quite long running, that I would put more into the internet entertainment category, I guess it just depends on what is amusing to an individual.

Many times, I will look at a thread, have inadequate knowledge to make a meaningful response and do not. Not all the reads of posters are lurkers. I think people join when they feel ready to participate, and have been doing so, all along.

Everything changes.

Ann
Old 08-12-2018, 11:35   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For me the most obvious reason is that it has gone from a 'Sailors Forum' that I joined in 2010 where there were folk like me who hung in there no matter what..
We gave up lots to indulge in our passion.. Clubbing, social drinking, eating out in restaurants and much else.
We yanked each others chains often but slowly and steadily the tone has changed.. the cry babies seem to rule the roost screaming 'Foul' to the Mod's.. where once there were many with sub 40ft boats its become a sneer if your smaller and a downright insult if you anchor next to some members in a 30ftr.
I agree with the first part of your post, but I have yet to run into anyone sneering at anyone else's boat out there in anchorages in real life. Everyone just gets along while sharing a common interest no matter what kind or size of boat. It's only here on the internet where some crybabies have a fit over just about everything written on a post. I've even been told my avatar is offensive to many.

I stand by what I wrote in an earlier closed thread... there're simply fewer and fewer lurkers and cruisers out there. We're going extinct.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:40   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Yeah. And those darned kids need to GET OFF MY LAWN, too!

Funny thing, I've seen (and probably done) more sneering at the 80-foot yacht which pulls into the anchorage with the uniformed crew manning the windlass, and leaves the generator running all night to power the air conditioner and underwater lights.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:42   #6

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Dunno about fewer and fewer.... more lurkers than members on this thread just now....

'Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 17 (7 members and 10 guests)'
Old 08-12-2018, 11:50   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Dunno about fewer and fewer.... more lurkers than members on this thread just now....

'Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 17 (7 members and 10 guests)'
There are always more who view than those who have something to say. Sometimes the difference is really huge, just take a look at the Jokes thread!

Ann
Old 08-12-2018, 12:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why are lurkers not joining..

Actually I was thinking of posts I have read on here.. conveniently forgotten.
What many seem to forget here is sub 35ft owners outnumber the 40ft> by 100's to one in the real world.. why join when your irrelevant.. or stay come to that.
But hey.. Maybe I'm just trolling again..
Sorry Ann..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 08-12-2018, 12:05   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There are always more who view than those who have something to say. Sometimes the difference is really huge, just take a look at the Jokes thread!

Ann
Hello Ann,
unnerstood.... but consider this..... just now....

' Online Users: 2,270
258 members and 2,012 guests'

258 members viewing stuff..... 2012 'guests' aka 'lurkers' viewing stuff.....
Old 08-12-2018, 12:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gonna have to give up my 3 week old Twitter account over Brexit.. The Remoaner dickheads are really stressing me out..
Where's me rum.. Hic.!!!

Old 08-12-2018, 12:26   #11

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hey! Wait a minute...you don't even HAVE a boat. You have to borrow other peoples! We don't need yur kind 'round here...
Old 08-12-2018, 12:38   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Hey! Wait a minute...you don't even HAVE a boat. You have to borrow other peoples! We don't need yur kind 'round here...
At the moment no.. have owned 15 to date but sold my steelie V de S last autumn..
Never borrow boats but delivering OP's all summer kinda makes ownership all outgoings and no benefits.
But then again I sailed nearly 8000nm in 2.5mths this summer..

Old 08-12-2018, 13:11   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

I see I’ve been around here since 2011. I don’t see any big character change here, and I don’t sense any diminishment in traffic. People come, people go. I don’t see this big change some of you lament.

There are always more lurkers than participants on ALL online forums. And it’s also true that discussions tend to be more curt and abrasive vs real life. This is due to many factors; miscommunication is all too easy compared to face-to-face discussions. But it also a fact that anonymity breeds anti-social behaviour.

CF has always been more, how shall I say it politely … anal about restricting free and open discussions compared to other similar forums. At times I find it a bit repressive, but I understand the purpose, and most of the time it’s not an issue.
Old 08-12-2018, 13:45   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

I was rude to a Frenchman on his first post once. It was meant in good fun but it didn't come out right. The french are maybe the best sailors on the planet and maybe a little rude too.. It was stupid.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 14:04   #15

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I was rude to a Frenchman on his first post once. It was meant in good fun but it didn't come out right. The french are maybe the best sailors on the planet and maybe a little rude too.. It was stupid.
Yeah, nothing more difficult than translating humour from one culture to another, not everybody sees a sentance the same way. Living in France for more then 40 years I know the way a french sees a sentance. A word is a word and has a meaning. In english it is the context, different language and different culture.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote