Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2018, 19:45   #31
cruiser

Re: Why are lurkers not joining..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Oh, Ok. Got it. I thought your post had age-related aspects. Good luck with your charter business. You'll be heading down to warmer climes, I assume. How's the weather? Still chugging around Halifax? It's starting to get cold in the NE, as usual.

Speaking of leisure interests, don't forget that it's now the Internet generation. One of the latest is traveling into the Amazon jungles (or somewhere close to that) and meeting with a indigenous shaman to drink DMT (ayahuasca). Kind of a flash back to '60s tripping. I don't think you can sail there. (hahaha) With the latest social-media unraveling of civilization and the associated mayhem (think Paris now burning), it won't be long until the deadly pirates are back in the Caribbean ... complete with Facebook accounts. Such fun!
The 62 is on the hard and shrink wrapped for winter in North America, the 53 is for sale just outside Venice, Italy. If no sale by summer, both boats might be in charter service around Sardinia and Corsica during July and August.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	165105CF-1F24-4AA9-869D-E8F256EC968D.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	181859  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 19:51   #32

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
And it’s also true that discussions tend to be more curt and abrasive vs real life. This is due to many factors; miscommunication is all too easy compared to face-to-face discussions. But it also a fact that anonymity breeds anti-social behaviour.
All too true. And rather concerning when you consider the number of Facebook, etc. users.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 20:12   #33

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage (formerly FP Helia 44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
No, what I mean is that there is a dwindling interest in boating and cruising. Leisure interests have changed, most people of all ages and income levels are choosing to transition rapidly between activities and interests, they wish to try a little of everything. So it’s now likely my wife and I along with some close friends, will enter the charter business to make some seasonal cash off the latest trend.

Owning a boat and sailing away into retirement is no longer what people wanna do; one or two weeks per year at the most is all they want.

On the contrary, my wife and I are doing exactly that. Maybe retirement, maybe a sabbatical, we’ll see. I’ve been a lurker here, absorbing a lot of knowledge and experience from many of you, and once we begin spending time on our own boat starting this month, rather than just charters, I hope we will be able to contribute our own experiences to others for their benefit. In the meantime, please keep contributing, and many thanks for the wealth of knowledge and entertainment!
SV Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 20:34   #34

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

The beat goes on! Still asked to take out newbies who have the cash to buy a floating fornicatorium but no idea how to sail or drive it. My capt prices are low, don’t drink so a cheap skippering role.
Don’t know what the drama is, quite frankly!,
Phil
PS my favorite is the joke posts!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 21:28   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Mischief View Post
On the contrary, my wife and I are doing exactly that. Maybe retirement, maybe a sabbatical, we’ll see. I’ve been a lurker here, absorbing a lot of knowledge and experience from many of you, and once we begin spending time on our own boat starting this month, rather than just charters, I hope we will be able to contribute our own experiences to others for their benefit. In the meantime, please keep contributing, and many thanks for the wealth of knowledge and entertainment!
I wish you the best, and things have worked out well for us over the past eight years, BUT..... the vast majority of people we know who’ve purchased a boat and tried the cruising thing have quit within a year and returned to terra firma. People in general these days simply have a short attention span and a very low tolerance level for even the slightest inconvenience such as unexpected repairs or lack of TV and internet.

During the past eight years, I can only think of maybe six people out of a couple hundred we’ve met who continued on after the first year. Sailorboy is one of them.

Most just seem to like having the dream or planning the project. I’m not saying this will be the case with you, I hope you’ll be the exception.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 22:09   #36

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I check in most every day but only increase my post count if I have something useful to add.
I’ve been sailing for 50+ years but have never lived aboard. A long working career and married life took precedence over the full time cruising life. I have no regrets.
Now that I’m retired and a widower I spend months aboard and include an annual singlehanded cruise to Bermuda each spring.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 22:55   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
All too true. And rather concerning when you consider the number of Facebook, etc. users.
Yes, agreed. But there is nothing really new about all this. The dynamic is the same here today as it was in 2011. Heck, it’s no different than when I was first messing around on BBSs in the late 80s. Lots of lurkers. A few babblers. And far too many misunderstandings and pissing matches over naught.
Old 08-12-2018, 23:52   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually I was thinking of posts I have read on here.. conveniently forgotten.
What many seem to forget here is sub 35ft owners outnumber the 40ft> by 100's to one in the real world.. why join when your irrelevant.. or stay come to that.
But hey.. Maybe I'm just trolling again..
Sorry Ann.. [emoji3]
Boatie, as someone that has had more small boats than large I have to disagree with you.

I haven't in the past felt the "sneering" and now on a bigger boat don't do the sneering. I think this is all in your head As someone that dosent come from money and now has some (not heaps) I actually think the prejudice is at times the other way around.

Some of us have more time and more to say, some may just like reading.

I also agree with the "dirty dozen" post on previous thread, Cf can be unnecessarily confrontational at times.

I'm not sure about less cruisers out here, maybe less young cruisers but I haven't noticed the numbers going down, BUT really how would I know, it's not like I keep stats or anything.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 00:41   #39

Boat: Morgan 41 oi

I am still new here. I lurked for over 2 years because of the amount of information on this site,it is truly amazing. If I need an answer on something I can usually find it with a quick search. I tend to read and listen a lot more than I talk.
You also have to keep in mind that if you post a question here there are going to be at least 1 or 2 people that will bitch because that question was answered on here in 1992 and you didn't do a search but I guess people lack the knowledge that things do change over time. The answer 2 years ago might not be the right answer today.
As far as boat size I found people on here to be the opposite of what was stated it's not the guy with the 80' boat looking down his nose it's the guys with the 30' boat looking down on others. Just because you lived on your boat without ac don't mean I shouldn't have it if I want it.some people live in cardboard boxes that doesn't mean I want to.

Just the opinion of a new member hope some can understand my points.
Thanks.

Bryan
mack2465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 00:53   #40

Boat: Hanse 531

As a quite fresh participant here I think CF is one of the few forums where people actually generally are quite polite and considered, respectful and kind (With some exceptions to the rule, obviously.)
Old 09-12-2018, 01:21   #41

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I want to say "hi" to the "lurkers", and to the ones who came out of the closet, as it were. It is by your questions that the older hands here get to know you, those, and your comments. This forum is predominantly male, and sometimes the language gets locker room belligerent. It is never really personal, because whoever posted it is revealing whatever it is that makes him feel diminished somehow or other.

Ann
Old 09-12-2018, 03:18   #42
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Why are lurkers not joining..

Well that dragged a couple out..
I am not putting CF down, it is a great resource for many including me..
What I am saying is its in some ways become a research tool more than the virtual bar it used to be back in the days of Hummingbird and others.. some sadly have died prematurely but the rap seems different to me.
As for the small boat wanna be.. how many times are folks told under 40ft is unrealistic, no WM & AC.. your crazy.
If I was 30yrs younger and starting out again, and I came here I would be reading stuff like $80K plus 50% at least to get started.. Crazy money if your on £15K a year and it would put me right off.. Pretty much like I boycotted PBO back in the 80's after I finished restoring my 7m timber boatyard wreck.
They asked for stories from readers so I sent them an account of my 1st channel crossing to Alderney.
Got a 2 page letter back reprimanding me for only having an outboard, only being 7m and various other shortcomings in their esteemed eyes.. I'd thought it was witty, informative and with lessons to learn.
If I had heeded them I'd have quit sailing, instead I carried on and learnt in the school off hard knocks.. as Atoll described me way back.
Of all the boats I have owned only 1 has cost more than £20K.. and I have sailed them all over.. 15 in all since that first £500 wreck from 21ft to 39ft.
What I'm saying is.. when a person comes here and reads stuff like "I have $500K plus 50% for fixing up" it kinda makes one think CF is about as relevant to them as Yachting World.
I see small boat owners join then disappear soon after..
I'm still here coz I'm stubborn and got into pizzing off Frank Z.. it was fun seeing how far I could nudge before he'd strike..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:56   #43
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I can always tell when Boatie's had a busy delivery schedule.... cause he likes to come on to CF and pull a few chains! [emoji7]

Seriously, what I've read so far seems to support opposite perspectives on What and Why we have Lurkers.

Most of us use it as a resource and the nervous Luddite in me, really appreciates the young digital minds, that advise me on all things magical.. In return, maybe I can help to put some of your voyaging concerns into perspective.

So Lurkers, come on in....the water's fine and you will be most welcome!

On the other hand.....
"If there's no audience, then
there ain't no show!"... Rock band Chiliwack[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:28   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
.......... BUT..... the vast majority of people we know who’ve purchased a boat and tried the cruising thing have quit within a year and returned to terra firma.
I have to agree with Ken on this one. Definitely within 2 years is my experience. Ive seen it happen in the UK, Mallorca and in Cadiz.

One or both of the owners seem to find it difficult to come to terms with the "inconvenience" or "difficulty" or the reality of living on water and just give up.

Marinas here are full of boats that havent had a visit in a while or are up for sale.....

You need to work up to being a full time sailor. It can be hard and you need to be able to rough it sometimes.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:51   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

we appear to have drifted way away from why lurkers don't post, but

It has always been pretty apparent that lots of people like the idea of owning a boat way more that acturally using a boat. There's no doubt the idea further applies to the dream of cruising compared to cruising.