Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2015, 23:06   #16

Re: Why a Planing Dinghy

Yes, no problem anchoring in Paluma. There are several creeks you can anchor in.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 03:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
Attachment 105456

Now, this is a Croc. An even larger one must have eaten one front leg!
Is this a real photo?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Crikeys!

With that dentition, I wager he ain't a Vegan croc!

Jim
Of course not, vegan's taste funny.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 05:07   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Possibly a vegan once removed: ie. while not a vegan per se, he'll happily eat vegans...
Sure... but they still taste just like chicken.
Old 16-07-2015, 09:37   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Don't get too worked up - crocs deserve respect, but be sensible and take basic precautions and you'll be fine. I've spent a bit of time in North Australia, both ashore and cruising.

Fresh water Crocs are generally timid, salt water ones are not, and large ones, esp males, are known to defend their territory.

Crocs are capable of only slow speeds ashore - walk briskly, don't run and trip! Don't get between them and the water - if caught out, give them room - they will return to the water given a chance, its where they feel safe. They can come out of the water 2/3rds of their body length in under a second - too fast to avoid- and that could be 3-4m or more! Use a bucket on a line to get water, do NOT lean over the transom/side or stand on the beach more than necessary!! When launching the dingy keep the dingy between you and the deeper water...

Swimming in some places is ill advised. Ask the locals. Crocs can learn routine - fish cleaning at the same time/place for example is not advised. If you have fish guts or bait in the dingy, they may try to find it to the detriment of the dingy and any crew. Don't hang limbs over the side - movement can attract unwanted attention.

Don't let the crocs put you off, or the crap you read online, about how they can run you down, hunt you etc etc. We used an inflatable, which we were assured would be eaten (it wasn't), and had a great time. It is likely you will not even see a croc in the wild unless you deliberately look for them. They are ambush hunters and hide if given an opportunity. However, they are often mistaken for "logs" when floating on the surface!! Take care, just another risk to be managed on your voyages!!
Matt
Hmmmm......some interesting information. Our home is on the shores of Lake Kariba. If someone thinks fresh water crocs are in the slightest bit timid then they need to come and tell our crocs to modify their behaviour. We have crocs in our garden several times each week (fences are not allowed as we are on the migratory route). Most people shall accept that a croc cannot run especially fast or for long. That is not the issue. The problem is the speed of their initial lunge - and not many humans can move quickly enough to avoid stocking the crocs larder. Similar applies to hippo's - many visitors think of these as being benign - they, along with the crocs kill more people each year than any other animals. I have film footage of an angry hippo attacking a boat with twin 90hps engines and the helmsman was shocked at the speed of the hippo under water and really had to open the engines up to put some distance between them.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 14:40   #21

Boat: 40' steel Ganley 'Ocean Raider'

I worked in the Australian bush many years ago and was told by the locals that salties can travel 35 kph on land - but can't turn fast due to long body and short legs. So the best way to outrun them is to zig zag - you just need to remember to zig when they are zagging. Personally I wasn't prepared to put that to the test - meaning avoidance is the best preventative strategy. Also intrigued about previous comment about 'mastering' some of these creatures - not sure that is the right way to go given we are often intruding into their environment.
Rantum Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 17:34   #22

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

The speed is real for the initial attack. 2/3rds of their length in under 1 sec.

Some will try to tell you they can outrun a horse - its an urban legend. See here;
Australian Saltwater Crocodile

Facts, not stories!

Timid - yes, perhaps a poor choice of works, but freshies are not in the same league as salties!
Old 16-07-2015, 18:18   #23

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Regarding speed on land, I have no experience with Australian salt water crocodiles. But I do have personal experience with fresh water crocs in the Far East. I will tell you emphatically that, at least for a short distance, they are very fast. These crocs are utterly unlike alligators. They have much longer legs and when they want to move they stand up on them. The belly is far above the ground, and they run. They're fast. At least occasionally they are aggressive.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 01:22   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
The speed is real for the initial attack. 2/3rds of their length in under 1 sec.

Some will try to tell you they can outrun a horse - its an urban legend. See here;
Australian Saltwater Crocodile

Facts, not stories!

Timid - yes, perhaps a poor choice of works, but freshies are not in the same league as salties!
Hi Matt, I would agree with that - the best advice is to keep your distance if possible. When I was in army and having bush craft lessons the best advice we received in the case of a croc attacking you was not to resist - rather push your arm right down its throat, grab the tail from inside and pull hard, turning the crocodile inside out.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy