Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 21:32   #31

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Lasy was perhaps an ill concidered comment - easier to spell than complacancy- I just hate to see vessels smashed when there is an alternative.

My apologies.

More vessels are lost a anchor than for any other reason. SEEMS MORE VESSELS ARE LOST IN CYCLONES IN MARINAS THESEDAYS.

Knowing Pt Hinchenbrook many vwssels are weekend toys and we will all be impacted on with insurance rates and the marina may not be rebuilt in a hurry.

Marina management must have seen it coming. All vessels were evacuated at Cairns and Pt Douglas into the mangroves. Why the complancy in Pt Hinch.
I understand ya feelings there, Downunder. When ya love boats it is gut-wrenching to see 'em trashed, especially when some of it may have been needless. I saw some before and after pics of Airlie Beach or near there. Before the cyclone warning, heaps of boats on the bay, after the warning, only about one left. I have to admit I am learning heaps about keeping a boat safe during bad storms. Those freakin' storm surges can be huge and if high enough are worse than the wind for causing damage.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 21:36   #32

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Lasy was perhaps an ill concidered comment - easier to spell than complacancy- I just hate to see vessels smashed when there is an alternative.

My apologies.

More vessels are lost a anchor than for any other reason. SEEMS MORE VESSELS ARE LOST IN CYCLONES IN MARINAS THESEDAYS.

Knowing Pt Hinchenbrook many vwssels are weekend toys and we will all be impacted on with insurance rates and the marina may not be rebuilt in a hurry.

Marina management must have seen it coming. All vessels were evacuated at Cairns and Pt Douglas into the mangroves. Why the complancy in Pt Hinch.
No need to appologise.

But the answer would be the same for the marina management. Focus on the wife,kids and house first.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 22:01   #33

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Have only heard this second hand but apprently all vessels bunkered down in Hinchenbrook channel survived.

Someone said one cat skipper on interview said his vessel was lifting up off water at times - must have had it adequately tied down.

I guess point I make is the marina's plan should have included an evacuation.

I note from some of the pictures coming in on media Yasi was a bad one definitely not overstated but the preplanning and including the forcasting, evacuations and building codes has protected life. Lucky it did not hit Cairns, Townsville or Mackay directly.

The Bruce Highway is almost in the sea at Cardwell. beautiful trees gone.

A young bloke(23) was found dead in his shelter just south of Ingham presumably from carbon monoxide poisioning running a genset in enclosed space. i think there are two boaters missing near Cardwell/Pt Hinchenbrook.

The major flooding now occurring at Ingham hindering the relief help is totally expected a the Herbert floods like this every time it gets a major rainfall event and can stay up for a week.

Will be some better arguments for flood(improving) if not proofing the Bruce Highway in future.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 23:37   #34
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Best wishes to you guys in QLD! Sailors can reef down, and prepare for a squall. But a storm like this leaves one pretty helpless.

Thanks for the update.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 13:37   #35

Mangrove anchorage proved to be safest for missing sailor.
see.....Missing sailor feared dead sails back into port after seeing out Cyclone Yasi onboard his yacht | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au
Old 04-02-2011, 13:48   #36
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=atoll;611413]in nandi fiji in the boat yard,their answer to cyclones was to use a back hoe to dig holes,line with old car tyres and sit vessels in the holes!!!!!!
QUOTE]

Same thing in quite a few B/yards in the Carib's... 45g oil drums and tyres..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote