Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2005, 01:07   #1
gwp

Who's Familiar with the Florida West Coast ?

Please excuse me for maybe using the wrong forum, but this seems to be the most active of all. I am about to make the plunge from daysailing to weekend cruising with a wife that's somewhat apprehensive about my skills, and she likes to be reasonably comfortable. So, this cruise could make or break her as a future crew mate. Been boating all my life, and sailing about 4 yrs. We will sail a Hunter 31, and plan to leave our home on the Alabama coast (pirate's cove, Josephine, AL) and head to Destin. We have heard that "Baytowne" marina offers restaurants, shopping, and all the niceties a cruiser seeks. We will probably play it safe and stick to the ICW instead of risking a bad thunderstorm out in the gulf....(remember....the wife). Between here and there, if anyone knows of anchorages, good marinas, etc, that are still standing after the series of hurricanes, I'd sure appreciate the information. Thanks much.
gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 15:37   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I would whole-heartly suggest looking ath the Skipper Bob publications. They are very inexpensive, (About $12 - $22), and they offer a host of information about anchorages and/or marinas along several differnt routes. I used the 2002 addition for sailing up the intercoastal, it was a godsend!

Good luck and watch out for spits!

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 21:44   #3

Boat: Tartan 33 "Radiant"
Send a message via AIM to halyardz
Cruising info FLA West Coast

Try Claiborne Young's site and books (I have no affiliation).
Claiborne S. Young
Watermark Publishing
800-803-0809
opcom@cruisingguide.com
http://www.CruisingGuide.com

He also publishes an email list of updates under the label of
The Salty Southeast in which he updates anchorages, marines etc. after storms and so on.

Jim (JR)
halyardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 10:48   #4

Regatta Pointe Marina Review Request

I am looking for a home port to liveaboard and cruise from on the West Coast of Florida. I see Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto, Fl. advertises lots of amenities and that liveaboards are welcome. Can anyone give me a review of this marina and others in the area they have experence with.

Mike
Naples, Fl.
CMikeyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 13:33   #5

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
gwp,

I assume you know about the anchorage at Ft. McRae near the Pensacola inlet.... it's not far from you at all but is a great anchorage (crowded on the weekends) or you could anchor at Penscaola Beach (east of the bridge)and dingy in to anyone of several bars and resturants (or maybe tie up to the pier, I think, behind Flounder's Resturant). My mast height won't let me go much further east in the IVW but I'm sure you could ..... You could go under the bridge at Destin then turn hard to port into the basin at Destin and anchor out then dingy to any one of several bars and resturants. There are probably transient slips available in Destin but I'm not really sure.

Myself, I used to anchor in the bayou about 100 yards behind your marina (Pirate's cove) or go up in Ingram Bayou (about a mile or so west of you).

maybe just a trip up to Lulu's, a Grouper loaf, a few Landshark beers, and some good music might get your wife hooked on the lifestyle.

How is Pirate's Cove doing now? - I heard they were closing the boat yard and the last time I was by there the resturant and marina was still closed because of Hurricane Ivan.

Good Luck, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 18:01   #6

Regatta Point Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMikeyOne View Post
I am looking for a home port to liveaboard and cruise from on the West Coast of Florida. I see Regatta Pointe Marina in Palmetto, Fl. advertises lots of amenities and that liveaboards are welcome. Can anyone give me a review of this marina and others in the area they have experence with.

Mike
Naples, Fl.
Mike,
I haven't stayed there, but I have had good reports from friends. I spent a few years living aboard at Twin Dolphin Marina across the river from Regatta Point and really liked the area. If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer Regatta Point because it offers better protection from tropical wx systems. I had lunch today at little restaurant at Regatta Point and it is our favorite in the area. Facilities at the marina look well maintained.
Old 15-10-2008, 12:03   #7

Thank You, svcattales for your reply and the information you provided. I will now make a trip up the road and give it a first hand look over. Right
after I get back from the Keys...sailing vacation at the end of the month.

Mike
CMikeyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 14:36   #8

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I stayed at Baytowne a couple of years ago it was very nice.
A couple of anchorages we enjoy Ft McRea mile 178 GICW, Little Sabine Bay mile 189, there is a nice spot between Sta. Rosa Island and the island about mile 217 enter, carefully, from the Eastern side by green marker "51"
I have been to these in a 3'6" draft trawler but have seen sizeable sail boats in them also check your draft and the charted depths.

There are lots of nice spots along the coast.
Good crusin'
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 13:25   #9

I do not see any recent posts related to this thread. We are planning a cruise from middle keys to Punta Gorda and would love to hear from anyone who has recent experience with anchorages and marinas (looks like Marco Island is our only practical marina choice). We are in a 42' sail cat with 4.5 feet of draft. Has anyone simply turned east and anchored close to shore in the Gulf?
Luna Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 18:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sea View Post
I do not see any recent posts related to this thread. We are planning a cruise from middle keys to Punta Gorda and would love to hear from anyone who has recent experience with anchorages and marinas (looks like Marco Island is our only practical marina choice). We are in a 42' sail cat with 4.5 feet of draft. Has anyone simply turned east and anchored close to shore in the Gulf?
Luna Sea, We always anchor out on that route and there are good stops en route. Little Shark River is normally our first stop and it is a beautiful protected anchorage in the heart of the Everglades. Next stop is usually Marco Id and we anchor in Factory Bay. There are also marinas right next to Factory Bay. From Marco we head for Ft Meyers area. We normally go under the Sanibel Bridge (fixed @70') and head north on ICW toward St James City. York Island is a nice anchorage with good protection from N to NE. With strong S or W you can anchor in lee of Sanibel Id with good protection. There are many options to anchor in Charlotte Harbor before Punta Gorda. Pelican Bay is the prettiest at the north end of Cayo Costa, but entrance is a little tricky. Anchoring off the ICW at Useppa Id is an easy entrance/exit and you can dinghy to Cabbage Key for a great cheeseburger. Once you are in Charlotte Harbor, it is an easy trip to Punta Gorda. Have a nice passage.
Old 29-09-2010, 18:40   #11

Luna Sea, Forgot to mention anchoring offshore. We have done that near Little Shark River in settled easterlies. Friends have also done it near Cape Sable which is another option. We prefer to anchor in protected spots, but if we are looking for a cooler breeze or taking refuge from mosquitos we do anchor in the Gulf when necessary.
Old 29-09-2010, 18:48   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sea View Post
tampa bay--manatee river is a good place--muddy bottom and good holding , safe in storms. amenities?? i loved regatta pointe, a marina up the manatee river until you can go no farther and call on 16 they are right there on left at the bridge. awesome place.
port st joe marina, port st joe, florida. awesome. excellent. friendly. reasonable rates.
fort myers-- moorings--matanzas inn mooring field. wow. loved it there. moss marine- marina before the bridge to the moorings-- fuel dock. amenities. friendly.
dry tortugas-- fort jefferson. beautiful. fair holding--is sand and there is a tendency for dragging there. we did but then we found a drift net was fouling the anchor....didnt know it was there--wasnt ours....
appalachicola--dont miss that place if you like seafood.especially oysters. wow... quaint place and very nice folk. water street hotel is a good place to stay., municipal dock is tough when the river is running hard. ...papa joes is goood eats... everything was good in appalachicola. even the pizza..
take the icw between port st joe and appalachicola--is beauitiful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:12   #13

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
If you stop in Apalachicola don't miss the city cemetery, very interesting to see the old markers, they lost lots of kids to yellow fever back then, sad inscriptions by greiving parents.
We loved port St Joe, nice marina right next to town.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 19:16   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
omg--i forgot white city dock--is a very very sheltered dock on icw between apalachicola and psj. beautiful i posted pix of that place everywhere... beautiful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 20:37   #15

Boat: seawind II Patience
Second papa joes.great food and plenty of it,marina at location also.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida