Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2015, 14:23   #31

Boat: CHB 50
Re: Who's Been to Palmyra?

Shan, I think I recall reading some news articles on your grim find. Could you advise the title or ISBN of your book, I'd love to give it a read if I can find a copy here. Thanks

What with Bruce's and Ann's stories, it is simply amazing that there is still so many first hand accounts of the events from over 40 years ago.
Krawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 14:27   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

And the Sea Will Tell: Vincent Bugliosi, Bruce Henderson: 9780393327960: Amazon.com: Books
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 15:30   #33

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

The terrible events at Palmyra were also featured on an old TV program called FBI Files (season 1, episode 5). Here's a link to the Youtube recording of the 50 minute episode devoted to the murders.
Old 16-07-2015, 16:37   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
The terrible events at Palmyra were also featured on an old TV program called FBI Files (season 1, episode 5). Here's a link to the Youtube recording of the 50 minute episode devoted to the murders.
Thanks for that, enjoyed it. I read the book years ago and enjoyed it as well. I almost stopped there once but it didn't work out. There are just so many cool places to be, other than the story I'm not sure this place qualifies.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 17:43   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

"I really doubt anyone on here is personal friends or connected in anyway with a murder that occurred in 1974. Maybe just old enough to confuse their personal experiences with a TV miniseries."
_
Well boatguy30, I AM old as the hills. It was in 1983 that we met and chatted with our friends, who had retired in Hawaii.

You have done me a disservice to imply I have not experienced what I did. I'd appreciate it if you will take that back, and with an apology.

Ann
Old 16-07-2015, 18:48   #36

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Who's Been to Palmyra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I really doubt anyone on here is personal friends or connected in anyway with a murder that occurred in 1974. Maybe just old enough to confuse their personal experiences with a TV miniseries.

Believe it or not, I am old enough to remember 1974!!! And then some!!!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 18:49   #37

Boat: Able 50

I can remember people in Honolulu talking about the Palmyra murders when I was there in 1980.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 19:07   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I really doubt anyone on here is personal friends or connected in anyway with a murder that occurred in 1974. Maybe just old enough to confuse their personal experiences with a TV miniseries.
Utter rubbish. Please, apologize.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 19:26   #39
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

Wow! A lot of feedback. Thank you!
I had actually read the book referenced already (the one by the lawyer) which is why I asked the question.
Great info ya'll.
For those of you that have been there, is it worth a longer stay? is it worth the long sail? how bad are the sharks really?
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 19:51   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
Wow! A lot of feedback. Thank you!
I had actually read the book referenced already (the one by the lawyer) which is why I asked the question.
Great info ya'll.
For those of you that have been there, is it worth a longer stay? is it worth the long sail? how bad are the sharks really?
I have not been there but your question about the sharks. There are lots of sharks in the South Pacific and if you are visiting Atolls there are tons of them. Just do a drift dive through one of the passes and you will see more sharks than you could count. I discussed this with my wife (memory check, lol) and she said it was really rare we didn't see sharks even snorkeling in shallow water. You will eventually get used to them.
Old 16-07-2015, 20:13   #41
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Utter rubbish. Please, apologize.
Agreed. I smell a troll.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 20:37   #42

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
I have not been there but your question about the sharks. There are lots of sharks in the South Pacific and if you are visiting Atolls there are tons of them. Just do a drift dive through one of the passes and you will see more sharks than you could count. I discussed this with my wife (memory check, lol) and she said it was really rare we didn't see sharks even snorkeling in shallow water. You will eventually get used to them.
As a diver from Florida, it's not uncommon to see bull and hammerhead sharks, which demand respect, but the most impressive dive with the most sharks was a site called Blue Corner in Palau, which is a ways to the west of Palmyra. No reason to fear them. If Palmyra still has a healthy, abundant shark population, that means the reefs and fish life are still healthy, and that is something to be revered these days. This place has been on my 'must cruise to' list for a long time.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 20:50   #43

Some of the best diving is in the Marshall Islands
Old 16-07-2015, 21:05   #44

Beautiful atoll, great anchorage, excellent diving but as has been said, make sure you get permission before arriving, and plan on being self sufficient. Must ensure you and vessel are clean, rodent/pest free and be prepared for a host of restrictions. Was much better in the earlier years (70-80s). The yacht club is still doing a great job of preserving its character. And maintaining history - no naked ping-pong these days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sailnzpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 22:23   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
"I really doubt anyone on here is personal friends or connected in anyway with a murder that occurred in 1974. Maybe just old enough to confuse their personal experiences with a TV miniseries."
_
Well boatguy30, I AM old as the hills. It was in 1983 that we met and chatted with our friends, who had retired in Hawaii.

You have done me a disservice to imply I have not experienced what I did. I'd appreciate it if you will take that back, and with an apology.

Ann
And you're CERTAIN you're not mixing up memories of life with TV episodes?

I'm old as the hills as well and all I remember from back then is being in Hawaii with Tom Selleck solving crimes week after week. In fact I seem to remember arresting that guy!

Which is really odd as I have no training for such endeavors.

Gotta go change my depends now...
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote